Connect with us

Breaking News

Just In: Freed Ekiti Pupils, Staff Undergo Trauma Treatment

Following their release from the kidnappers’ den, the students and teachers of the Apostolic Faith Groups of School in Emure-Ekiti, Emure local government area, have been hospitalized.

Published

on

Following their release from the kidnappers’ den, the students and teachers of the Apostolic Faith Groups of School in Emure-Ekiti, Emure local government area, have been hospitalized.

The freed victims comprise five pupils and three teachers who were released by their abductors in the early hours of Sunday, February 4.

They are currently receiving medical care at the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital.

The state commissioner for health and human services, Oyebanji Filani, along with ministry officials, brought the students and teachers from Emure Ekiti to the hospital following the Governor’s directive shortly after their release.

The EKSUTH Chief Medical Director, Prof Kayode Olabanji in a chat with our reporter said medical examination have commenced on the eight victims to ascertain their health condition.

Prof. Olabanji said the schoolchilden and their teachers are undergoing medical and therapetic treatment to relieve them of psychological trauma of the kidnap experience.

He added that the five pupils and their three teachers were clinically in stable condition, saying that they were being attended to by a multidisciplinary team of medical personnel.

He said: “Immediately we brought them in, they had been attended to by multi- disciplinary team of medical personnel.

“We brought in those psychologists who could work on them to allay their fears. They were given the initial resurcitation including rehydration, they were given fluids, some who needed oxygen were given oxygen.After they had stabilized a bit, they were even given food too, now, they are much better, we will still carry out few investigations to fully appraise their situation.

“But I can say with confidence that they are clinically stable and we don’t foresee any untoward eventuality.”

Governor Oyebanji, who arrived at EKSUTH few hours to see the eight victims who were receiving treatment shortly after his return from Abuja, had brief interaction with each of the victims at the Accident and Emergency Ward of the hospital.

While congratulating the students and their teachers for regaining freedom from the abductors, Oyebanji assured that the perpetrators of the crime would be fished out and punished accordingly.

He urged the medical team at the hospital not to be in a hurry to discharge the students, stressing the need for them to be properly managed, given the trauma they went through.

Expressing his condolences over the death of the bus driver of the abducted pupils, Mr Taiwo Olugbaye who was reportedly killed by the kidnappers, the Governor said government will not leave any stone unturned in the bid to apprehend the criminals as well as those involved in the killing of two traditional rulers in the state.

He said: “It is very sad. My condolences to the family. I have directed the Deputy Governor to pay a visit to the family and to the Elemure to commiserate with them. But what I can assure Ekiti people is that we will go after the criminals.”

Breaking News

Just In: NLC Protest Begins In Parts Of Lagos

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has commenced its planned protest in Lagos. JomogNews observed the protesters displaying placards of various inscriptions in the Ikeja area of Lagos.

The protesters started gathering around Ikeja under bridge as early as 7:00 am, bearing placards and putting on the paraphernalia of the NLC.

The police in Lagos had warned against obstruction of traffic and businesses during the protest.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Oronsaye Report: Tinubu To Scrap Many Agencies, Merge Others

“Many agencies will be scrapped and many others will be merged, to pave way to a leaner government,”

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has resolved to implement the Stephen Oronsaye report that called for a leaner government by merging some agencies and scrapping some others.

The president’s decision was announced by a presidential spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, in a post on X.

“Twelve years after the Steve Oronsaye panel submitted its report on restructuring and rationalizing Federal government parastatals and agencies and a white paper issued two years after, President Tinubu and the Federal Executive Council today decided to implement the report,” Mr Onanuga wrote.

“Many agencies will be scrapped and many others will be merged, to pave way to a leaner government,” he said.

In a recent editorial, PREMIUM TIMES had called on the Tinubu administration to implement the Oronsaye report as a way of cutting the cost of running the government.

Details later…

 

 

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Nnamdi Kanu To Appear In Court On Feb 26th Over Terrorism Charges

Published

on

By

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the Federal Government of Nigeria is to resume the trial of the self appointed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu on terrorism charges on Monday, February 26.

The decision of the government to resume trial followed the December 15, 2023, judgment of the Supreme Court which gave go ahead for continuation of trial of Kanu in the remaining seven count charges against him.

A notice for resumption of the trial, indicated that it would proceed before Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The notice indicated that Kanu’s lead counsel, Mike Ozekhome, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice (AGF) have been put on notice.

The Director General of the Department of the State Services (DSS) has also been contacted to make the IPOB leader available in court on the date.

Kanu has been in the custody of the DSS since June 19, 2021, when he was arrested in Kenya and brought to Nigeria by the federal government through its security agency.

Although he was initially slammed with 15-count terrorism charges, Justice Binta Nyako in the course of trial did not find merit in 8 of the charges and subsequently dismissed them.

In a ruling in April 2022, the Judge upheld only seven count charges against Kanu and ordered him to open his defense on the alleged offense.

Temporary respite however came the way of the detained IPOB leader when the Court of Appeal in Abuja, in October 2022, quashed the entire terrorism charges against him and ordered his immediate release from DSS custody.

The decision of the Court of Appeal was predicated on the unlawful rendition of Kanu by the Nigerian government from Kenya instead of extradition and held that his trial was unlawful along with the charges against him.

However, on October 28, 2022, the Court of Appeal granted a stay of execution of its order discharging Kanu following an appeal filed by the federal government at the Supreme Court.

On its part, the Supreme Court in a judgment on December 15, 2023, upturned the judgment of the lower court in favour of the government.

The Apex Court in the lead unanimous judgment by Justice Garba Lawal, but read by Justice Emmanuel Akomaye Agim, ordered that the trial of Kanu in the seven count charges be continued.

Justice Lawal held that although the Nigerian government recklessly, irresponsibly and unlawfully rendered Kanu from Kenya, such an unlawful act had not divested any court power to proceed with his trial.

The apex count said that no Nigerian law supported quashing of the charges and releasing Kanu owing to his mere unlawful abduction from Kenya and held that the remedy for such an action is for Kanu to file a civil matter against the government.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: