Connect with us

Breaking News

Dowen College: Sylvester Oromoni’s Family Announces Burial Date Of Son Allegedly Bullied, Tortured To Death

Published

on

The family of a 12-year-old pupil of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos State, Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, has announced the burial of their son.

Sylvester died on November 30, 2021, after he was allegedly tortured by some senior students of the college who reportedly wanted to initiate him into a cult group.

In a statement obtained by SaharaReporters on Monday, the family announced the burial of their son, stating, “As a family grappling with the profound sorrow brought about by this inexplicable loss we have chosen to bid farewell to Sylvester on Saturday, January 27, 2024 with final rites to be conducted at Ogbe-Ijaw Warri Kingdom, Delta state.

“Exactly two years ago, precisely on November, 30, 2021, the death of our 12-year-old son, Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, a pupil of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos State, was announced in controversial circumstances, after he was tortured to death by some senior students who wanted to initiate him into a cult group and till date we as family is yet to get justice in the matter.

“Sylvester, born on December 4, 2009, met a devastating end on November 30, 2021, succumbing to injuries inflicted in a harrowing assault by fellow students.

“Before his untimely demise, Sylvester was renowned for his exceptional intellect and maturity beyond his years. A young mind brimming with potential, he demonstrated remarkable initiative and an extraordinary sense of humor, endearing him to those fortunate enough to cross paths with him. Sylvester’s insatiable passion for knowledge, particularly in fields of computer science, programming, electrical science, and his special interest in football set him apart.

“His absence has left an irreplaceable void in our lives as a family and the lives of those who hold him dear, and his legacy will endure through the indelible memories of the profound impact he made on those around him.”

“As we continue to mourn our son, we as a family implore everyone to honour Sylvester’s memory by reflecting on the bright spirit that enriched their lives and celebrate the intellect that radiated from his young mind. As the community mourns the loss of this promising scholar, we will continue to demand justice for our beloved son who was murdered in cold blood by fellow students,” the statement stated.

Marking the two years anniversary of their son’s brutal and untimely demise, the father of the deceased, Sylvester Oromoni last year told SaharaReporters that as a family, they would not stop crying out for justice for their son.

He added that he was compelled to take the step to seek justice.

He said, “As the father of the deceased, I cannot be tired or discouraged from pursuing justice as I have promised my son to get him justice even if it will take thirty years to achieve it.

“Thursday, November 30, 2023, makes it two years since the demise of my son and the body is still in the morgue, yet to be buried. May the soul of Sylvester Oromoni (Jnr.) and all departed souls rest in perfect peace. Amen.”

Sylvester’s father and the family had also threatened that if the inquest was not concluded before the end of 2022, they would be compelled to withdraw from it in order to take a different legal route to seek justice.

“The Legal Advice earlier issued by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution, Ministry of Justice, Lagos state indicted Dowen College and some of its staff and recommended them for prosecution under Section 252 of the Criminal Law (C17) Vol. 3 Laws of Lagos State 2015.

“Notwithstanding this Advice, these individuals indicted are still working freely while the body of the deceased continues to lie in the morgue. With the effort of the honourable coroner and the cooperation of several parents particularly the parents of the two witnesses who came from Abuja to testify on the 14th November, 2022, the coroner thereafter adjourned proceedings to 21st November 2022 for Dowen College to produce the two remaining witnesses from the school,” the statement had said.

The death of Sylvester, which generated condemnation and a series of protests by civil society groups and women across the country as well as heated controversies, was yet to yield any positive results two years after, following alleged delay tactics by some officials of the Lagos State Government.

Meanwhile, the family has vowed to pursue the case of their late son to a logical conclusion no matter how long it will take them to get justice for him.

Breaking News

Just In: NLC Protest Begins In Parts Of Lagos

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has commenced its planned protest in Lagos. JomogNews observed the protesters displaying placards of various inscriptions in the Ikeja area of Lagos.

The protesters started gathering around Ikeja under bridge as early as 7:00 am, bearing placards and putting on the paraphernalia of the NLC.

The police in Lagos had warned against obstruction of traffic and businesses during the protest.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Oronsaye Report: Tinubu To Scrap Many Agencies, Merge Others

“Many agencies will be scrapped and many others will be merged, to pave way to a leaner government,”

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has resolved to implement the Stephen Oronsaye report that called for a leaner government by merging some agencies and scrapping some others.

The president’s decision was announced by a presidential spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, in a post on X.

“Twelve years after the Steve Oronsaye panel submitted its report on restructuring and rationalizing Federal government parastatals and agencies and a white paper issued two years after, President Tinubu and the Federal Executive Council today decided to implement the report,” Mr Onanuga wrote.

“Many agencies will be scrapped and many others will be merged, to pave way to a leaner government,” he said.

In a recent editorial, PREMIUM TIMES had called on the Tinubu administration to implement the Oronsaye report as a way of cutting the cost of running the government.

Details later…

 

 

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Nnamdi Kanu To Appear In Court On Feb 26th Over Terrorism Charges

Published

on

By

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the Federal Government of Nigeria is to resume the trial of the self appointed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu on terrorism charges on Monday, February 26.

The decision of the government to resume trial followed the December 15, 2023, judgment of the Supreme Court which gave go ahead for continuation of trial of Kanu in the remaining seven count charges against him.

A notice for resumption of the trial, indicated that it would proceed before Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The notice indicated that Kanu’s lead counsel, Mike Ozekhome, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice (AGF) have been put on notice.

The Director General of the Department of the State Services (DSS) has also been contacted to make the IPOB leader available in court on the date.

Kanu has been in the custody of the DSS since June 19, 2021, when he was arrested in Kenya and brought to Nigeria by the federal government through its security agency.

Although he was initially slammed with 15-count terrorism charges, Justice Binta Nyako in the course of trial did not find merit in 8 of the charges and subsequently dismissed them.

In a ruling in April 2022, the Judge upheld only seven count charges against Kanu and ordered him to open his defense on the alleged offense.

Temporary respite however came the way of the detained IPOB leader when the Court of Appeal in Abuja, in October 2022, quashed the entire terrorism charges against him and ordered his immediate release from DSS custody.

The decision of the Court of Appeal was predicated on the unlawful rendition of Kanu by the Nigerian government from Kenya instead of extradition and held that his trial was unlawful along with the charges against him.

However, on October 28, 2022, the Court of Appeal granted a stay of execution of its order discharging Kanu following an appeal filed by the federal government at the Supreme Court.

On its part, the Supreme Court in a judgment on December 15, 2023, upturned the judgment of the lower court in favour of the government.

The Apex Court in the lead unanimous judgment by Justice Garba Lawal, but read by Justice Emmanuel Akomaye Agim, ordered that the trial of Kanu in the seven count charges be continued.

Justice Lawal held that although the Nigerian government recklessly, irresponsibly and unlawfully rendered Kanu from Kenya, such an unlawful act had not divested any court power to proceed with his trial.

The apex count said that no Nigerian law supported quashing of the charges and releasing Kanu owing to his mere unlawful abduction from Kenya and held that the remedy for such an action is for Kanu to file a civil matter against the government.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: