Connect with us

News

El-Rufai Dumps President Tinubu’s Ministerial Appointment,Names Replacement

Published

on

A former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, has withdrawn his interest in being part of President Bola Tinubu’s cabinet, PREMIUM TIMES can exclusively report.

Presidency sources said Mr El-Rufai told President Tinubu at a meeting on Tuesday that he was no longer interested in becoming a minister but would continue to contribute his quota to the development of Nigeria as a private citizen.

“He also told the president that he needed time to focus on his doctorate programme at a university in The Netherlands,” one of our sources said.

Another insider also told this medium that the former governor suggested a new ministerial nominee — Jafaru Ibrahim Sani — for Kaduna State, saying the President would find him very useful and resourceful.

Mr Sani served as commissioner in three ministries in Kaduna State (Local Government Education and Environment) while Mr El-Rufai was governor.

Mr El-Rufai visited the President at the presidential villa a day after the Senate confirmed 45 ministerial nominees after a week-long screening of 48 of them.

The upper legislative chamber, however, withheld his confirmation and those of two others, citing security reports from the State Security Service for the action.

The two others were a former senator from Taraba, Sani Danladi, and a nominee from Delta State, Stella Okotete.

Our sources said on becoming aware of the Senate pronouncement on his case, Mr El-Rufai, who only returned to Nigeria from London on Monday, sought and got an appointment to meet the president.

At the meeting on Tuesday afternoon, President Tinubu, according to our sources, told the former governor he received some petitions critical of his ministerial nomination.

The president then asked for 24 hours grace to review the petitions and the SSS report to the Senate to enable him to reach a decision.

It was at that point that Mr El-Rufai responded that he was no longer interested in being minister since it appeared some forces around the president were scheming intensely to block his emergence as federal minister.

Mr El-Rufai had disclosed during his confirmation hearing on 1 August that Mr Tinubu asked him to work with him on the power problem facing the country.

According to him, the President had given a target of seven years for Nigeria to stop experiencing power outages in the country.

At the Tuesday meeting, Mr El-Rufai also reportedly told the President that since he would no longer be in the federal executive council, he would return the next day with his team to present the preliminary work done so far on the energy sector.

The team that accompanied the former governor to make presentations to the president on Wednesday includes Eyo Ekpo, a former commissioner at the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC); Hafiz Bayero, a former commissioner and administrator of the Kaduna Capital Territory Authority; Tolu Oyekan of the Boston Consulting Group and Ayodele Oni, a lawyer.

Mr El-Rufai is studying for a doctorate in public policy at the United Nations University, Maastricht.

His associates say as he prepared to leave office as governor in May this year, he had indicated his desire to exit public life and concentrate on his PhD programme.

But that was until then President-elect Tinubu asked him to join his cabinet so he could charge him with the responsibility of repositioning the inefficient power sector in Africa’s largest economy.

It is unclear what suddenly went wrong between the two men such that an agency of government would block Mr El-Rufai’s ministerial nomination without the president lifting a finger.

When contacted, Muyiwa Adekeye, the media adviser to Mr El-Rufai, declined to comment for this story.

PREMIUM TIMES.

News

37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React

Published

on

By

The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.

This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.

Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.

The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.

Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.

Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.

There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

News

Dangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026

Published

on

By

Aliko Dangote, Chairman of the Dangote Group, forecasts that the naira will appreciate to N1,100 per dollar within 2026.

He shared this outlook on Tuesday during the federal government’s unveiling of the National Industrial Policy 2025.

The naira has strengthened in recent weeks, appreciating to N1,335.95 per dollar at the official market and N1,380/$ at the black market on Tuesday.

Commenting on the development, the billionaire businessman said the country has the potential to generate large-scale consumption, industrial growth, and disposable incomes.

“I mean today if you look at it, your excellency, I believe with the policies that you have implemented in government, people now have started seeing the result and manufacturers are very very happy,” Dangote said.

“Today, the dollar is N1,340. Mr. Vice-President, I can assure you with what I know, blocking all this importation and co, naira this year will be as low as N1,100 if we are lucky.

“The only thing is for maybe the government to stop the naira from getting stronger so that they will keep collecting more naira.

“But it’s a catch-22 situation where, now, if the naira gets stronger it means that everything will go down. Everything will go down because we are an import-based country which we shouldn’t be.

“What you should be is to manufacture all the things that we need.”

On February 12, Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo, expressed optimism that the naira will strengthen meaningfully and will trade below N1,000/$1 before year-end as domestic refining is fully underway.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Defend Our Sovereignty: Falana, Ibrahim, Bugaje Reject US Military Presence

Published

on

By

A group of Nigerian leaders, including Femi Falana and Jibrin Ibrahim, has condemned the recent deployment of U.S. troops as a violation of national sovereignty and a dangerous precedent for foreign meddling.

The backlash follows the arrival of U.S. military aircraft last week, part of a mission involving roughly 200 American soldiers tasked with advisory and training roles.

While U.S. officials describe the steady influx of personnel as a temporary counter-terrorism support measure, critics argue the presence of foreign forces undermines the country’s independence.

But Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) insisted that the US personnel are technical specialists serving strictly in an advisory and training capacity not combat troops and that all activities will be conducted under the authority, direction, and control of the Nigerian government in close coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

In a joint statement titled “No to Foreign Forces in Our Land: Defend Our Sovereignty”, the group said the presence of US soldiers in Nigeria raises serious constitutional and sovereignty concerns.

The statement was jointly signed by Femi Falana (SAN), Prof Jibrin Ibrahim, Dr Abubakar Siddique Mohammed, Dr Dauda Garuba, Prof Massaud Omar, Prof Mohammed Kuna, Engr YZ Ya’u, and Dr Usman Bugaje.

They recalled Nigeria’s historical resistance to foreign military domination and warned against what they described as a creeping neo-colonial arrangement.

“Nigeria’s history is replete with principled resistance to foreign military domination. At critical moments, our leaders civilian and military alike have asserted our sovereignty and rejected external interference. That legacy must not be abandoned,” the statement said.

They recalled the Anglo-Nigerian Defence Pact of 1960, which was abolished in 1962 following widespread public opposition. “Political independence without military sovereignty is incomplete,” the statement noted, stressing that Nigerians had always resisted external interference in military affairs.

The group also cited Nigeria’s role in rejecting American pressure during the 1976 Organisation of African Unity (OAU) summit on Angola.

At the time, General Murtala Mohammed famously declared that “Africa has come of age and would no longer operate under the orbit of any extra-continental power. His words were not mere rhetoric but a declaration of continental dignity and sovereign equality.”

The signatories highlighted what they described as a troubling pattern of attempts to impose military agreements on Nigeria. “In 2001, a proposed Military Cooperation Agreement between the United States and Nigeria was withdrawn after strong opposition from Nigeria’s Ministry of Defence,” they recalled.

Similarly, in 2003, Nigeria signed a Bilateral Immunity Agreement (BIA) with the United States, shielding American citizens from surrender to the International Criminal Court. “By 2005, the Nigerian Senate nullified the agreement, citing constitutional violations and inconsistency with the Rome Statute,” the group said.

“These episodes demonstrate a consistent national principle: foreign military arrangements must comply with Nigeria’s Constitution and must never compromise our sovereignty,” they added.

They cited Section 12(1) of the 1999 Constitution, which provides that no treaty between Nigeria and another country shall have the force of law unless enacted by the National Assembly.

The statement rejected any suggestion that Nigeria’s Armed Forces are incapable of defending the country. “Nigeria’s Armed Forces have a distinguished record in international peacekeeping under the United Nations and the African Union,” it said, citing Nigeria’s leading role in ECOMOG operations in Liberia and Sierra Leone.

“Rather than outsourcing our security, Nigeria should fully equip and modernise the Nigeria Police Force and the Armed Forces, strengthen intelligence coordination, improve welfare and morale of troops, invest in domestic defence production, and address socio-economic drivers of insecurity.”

They warned that sovereignty is not a ceremonial concept but the foundation of statehood. “Once foreign troops are stationed on national soil without transparent constitutional processes, sovereignty is diluted—incrementally, perhaps quietly—but meaningfully.

“Nigeria must not drift into arrangements that future generations will struggle to reverse. History teaches us that sovereignty surrendered in the name of expediency is rarely easily reclaimed,” the statement said.

They also urged the federal government to remain consistent with Nigeria’s tradition of rejecting neo-colonial defence pacts and unconstitutional agreements.

‘US security help has not improved any country’

Prof Jibrin Ibrahim, in an interview with Daily Trust, expressed worry that Nigerians appear less vigilant about potential defence arrangements compared to the 1960s, when the Anglo-Nigerian defence pact with the United Kingdom faced widespread public resistance.

“I’m concerned that, as we point out right from the 1960s, when the defence pacts were proposed by the government, there was resistance by the Nigerian people. They complained, they criticised them, they objected, and that led to the government backing down,” he said.

He lamented what he described as growing public indifference, noting that many Nigerians now argue that any foreign assistance, particularly from the United States, should be welcomed if it promises to address insecurity.

“Today, many people are saying that if the Americans are offering to help, why not accept it? But there is a lot of ignorance about the implications,” he added.

Prof Jibrin questioned the track record of U.S. military involvement abroad, arguing that American security interventions in other countries have not necessarily resulted in lasting peace or stability.

“In which country has America offered to help in security, led to improved security? There is none in the world. All their external involvements have been to deepen insecurity, rather than to improve the security situation,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending