Connect with us

Breaking News

Just In: We’ve Arrested Those Responsible For Owo Attack- CDS Irabor

Published

on

The Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, on Tuesday said those behind the Owo attack have been arrested.

Irabor stated this during a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja.

JomogNews reported that some gunmen had stormed St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, killing no fewer than 40 worshippers.

The Federal Government, however, said the Islamic States of West Africa Province terrorists were behind the attack.

During a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja on Tuesday, the Chief of Defence Staff confirmed that the Owo attackers had been nabbed.

Irabor said the suspects would be paraded after an investigation had been concluded into the matter.

He said, “Within the last time we met, we have recorded remarkable achievement. Let me bring it to your notice that within the same period, there have been ignoble actions of men of the underworld that have impinged on our collective well-being, namely the unfortunate train attack, the attack on Kuje correctional center as well as what has been reported in the past the attack on the presidential convoy.

“Also, the Owo incident which was intended to bring man and women of the armed forces to present them in a form and shape that make it to look as if the nation is on a siege. We have arrested those behind the dastardly act in Owo.

“It was my intention to present them to the public, but because of the investigation still going on, I had to change my mind. I will like to say that in due course, the world will see them and others who are behind other daring attacks in the country.”

Details later…

 

Breaking News

Just In: CBN Extends Old Notes Deposit Deadline To Feb 10

Published

on

By

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, on Sunday extended the deadline for the exchange of old naira notes. The exercise is now to end on February 10, 2023.

The Governor of Central Bank, Godwin Emefiele who visited President Muhammadu Buhari in Daura today, Sunday said the Nigerian President gave an additional 10 days grace for the exercise.

“Deadline for the return of old series of 200, 500 and 1000 naira notes remains January 31 2023,” it tweeted attaching a video of Emefiele giving the stance of the bank on old notes at the last Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting of the bank.

In the video, Emefiele said, ”Unfortunately, I don’t have good news for those who feel we should shift the deadline, my apologies. The reason is because, just like the president has said more than two occasions and even to some people privately, 100 days is more than enough for anybody who has the old currency to deposit it in the banks. And we took every measure to ensure that all the banks were and are still open to accept deposits.”

He said so far, CBN had collected 1.9 trillion and left with 900billion to achieve effective implementation of policy.

He said Nigerians, who are yet to change their naira notes from the old to new ones, now have an opportunity to do so.

The apex bank’s governor cautioned that people must utilise the opportunity because the deadline will not be extended again.

“Based on the foregoing, we have sought and obtained Mr President’s approval for the following: a 10-day extension of the deadline from January 31, 2023, to February 10, 2023; to allow for collection of more old notes legitimately held by Nigerians and achieve more success in cash swap in our rural communities after which all old notes outside the CBN loses their Legal Tender Status.

“Our CBN staff currently on mass mobilization and monitoring together with officials of the EFCC and ICPC will work together to achieve these objectives.

“A 7-day grace period, beginning on February 10 to February 17, 2023, in compliance with Sections 20(3) and 22 of the CBN Act, allowing Nigerians to deposit their old notes at the CBN after the February deadline when the old currency would have lost its Legal Tender status,” CBN said in a statement.

The Central Bank had last year introduced redesigned 200, 500 and 1000 naira notes and gave a deadline of 31st January, 2023 for swapping of the notes.

The apex bank had been under pressure to shift the deadline over the scarcity of new naira notes but up till the late hours of Saturday, the bank vowed that it would not do do.

 

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Just In: Adeleke Rejects Tribunal Verdict, Prepares For Appeal

Published

on

By

The Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has described the judgement of the governorship election petitions tribunal as “a miscarriage of justice”, vowing to challenge the ruling at the Court of Appeal.

The Election Petitions Tribunal hearing the All Progressives Congress’ Adegboyega Oyetola’s petition against the victory of the Peoples Democratic Party’s Ademola Adeleke on Friday annulled the result of the July 16 Osun governorship poll.

Justice Tetsea Kume, while delivering a majority decision, declared that the Independent National Electoral Commission did not comply substantially with the constitution and the provisions of the Electoral Act.

Reacting to the verdict of the tribunal from his country home in Ede, Adeleke faulted the resolution of the over-voting question in favour of Mr Adegboyega Oyetola, calling it “an unfair interpretation against the will of majority of voters”

While urging his supporters to remain calm, Adeleke vowed to appeal the judgement at the Court of Appeal, insisting he remained the rightful winner of the July 16 election.

“I call on our people to remain calm. We will appeal the judgement and we are sure justice will be done. Let our people be reassured that we will do everything possible to retain this widely acclaimed mandate,” the governor said in a statement signed by his spokesman, Olawale Rasheed, on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Just In: Tribunal Sacks Adeleke As Governor

Published

on

By

The Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Osogbo has upturned the victory of Governor Ademola Adeleke at the July 16th 2022 governorship polls.

The tribunal in a split document of two to one declared that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, should withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to Adeleke and issue the same to former Governor Adegboyega Oyetola.

The majority judgement which was read by the Chairman, Justice Tertse Kume said Oyetola scored the majority lawful votes of 314,931 against Adeleke’s 219,666.

The minority judgement is ongoing.

Details later…

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: