Connect with us

Breaking News

Organ Harvest: Senate Sends Delegation To London Over Ekweremadu’s Arrest

Published

on

The Nigerian Senate on Tuesday disclosed that it would send a high-powered delegation to meet with Senator Ike Ekweremadu and his wife, Beatrice in London following the alleged purported Organ harvest against them.

JomogNews recalls that Ike Ekweremadu, who was the former Deputy Senate President, was detained alongside his wife over alleged “organ harvesting” in the United Kingdom.

The Senate’s decision was after they met behind closed doors for two hours on Wednesday.

The Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan commended defence lawyers to Senator Ekweremadu and his wife, who he said were working hard to get them out of detention.

He disclosed that he met with the British High Commissioner who briefed him on progress of the case as well as details of what transpired

Lawan added that the Senate delegation would include the members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs.

Lawan also noted that the Senate will continue to engage the Nigeria High Commission on the matter relating to Ekweremadu.

He said that he had a robust engagement with the Nigeria High Commissioner, Ambassador Ishola Sarafa on the alleged Organ harvesting, adding that as Senators, they will continue to support their colleague.

Resolutions of the Senate came on the heels of a motion about the arrest of the former Deputy Senate President and his wife in London last week over charges of conspiracy and organ harvest.

 

 

 

Breaking News

Court strikes out suit seeking to void Ademola Adeleke’s nomination for Osun guber election

Published

on

By

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has struck out a suit seeking nullification of submission of the name of Ademola Jackson Nurudeen Adeleke as the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the last July 26 election.

The judge on Thursday struck down the suit on the ground that the plaintiff lacked locus standi to institute the case.

The plaintiff in the suit, Awoyemi Oluwatayo Lukman, had dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the PDP and Adeleke before the court seeking order to void and set aside the submission of Adeleke’s name to INEC on grounds of alleged unlawful action.

The grouse of the plaintiff was that Adeleke’s name was hurriedly submitted by PDP on March 11 as against between March 14 to 18 as contained in the INEC guidelines.

Adeleke’s name having not been submitted within the period fixed by INEC, the plaintiff asked the court to declare the submission, illegal, unlawful, null, and void and be set aside.

He claimed that INEC must be bound by its official guidelines and that anything done outside the guidelines is against the provisions of the Electoral Act 2022.

However, in his judgment, Justice Obiora Egwuatu struck out the suit on the ground that the said Awoyemi Oluwatayo Lukman lacked locus standi to have instituted the case.

The Judge held also that the suit was statute barred having been fixed outside the 14 days stipulated by Section 285 of the 1999 Constitution that all pre-election suits must be filed within 14 days whereas, the instant suit was filed after 28 days.

Details later.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Just In: We’ve Arrested Those Responsible For Owo Attack- CDS Irabor

Published

on

By

The Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, on Tuesday said those behind the Owo attack have been arrested.

Irabor stated this during a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja.

JomogNews reported that some gunmen had stormed St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, killing no fewer than 40 worshippers.

The Federal Government, however, said the Islamic States of West Africa Province terrorists were behind the attack.

During a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja on Tuesday, the Chief of Defence Staff confirmed that the Owo attackers had been nabbed.

Irabor said the suspects would be paraded after an investigation had been concluded into the matter.

He said, “Within the last time we met, we have recorded remarkable achievement. Let me bring it to your notice that within the same period, there have been ignoble actions of men of the underworld that have impinged on our collective well-being, namely the unfortunate train attack, the attack on Kuje correctional center as well as what has been reported in the past the attack on the presidential convoy.

“Also, the Owo incident which was intended to bring man and women of the armed forces to present them in a form and shape that make it to look as if the nation is on a siege. We have arrested those behind the dastardly act in Owo.

“It was my intention to present them to the public, but because of the investigation still going on, I had to change my mind. I will like to say that in due course, the world will see them and others who are behind other daring attacks in the country.”

Details later…

 

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Just In: Ex-Govs Dariye, Nyame Finally Out Of Prison

Published

on

By

The duo of former governor Joshua Dariye and Jolly Nyame who were granted presidential pardon by President Buhari few months ago, have been released by the authorities of the Nigerian Correctional Service.

Both former governors were serving jail term for corruption allegations until they were granted pardon by President Buhari, a development that received a lot of negative reactions.

Recall that the Council of State led by President Muhammadu Buhari, had in April approved the pardon of 159 convicts.

They both served as governors Plateau and Taraba states respectively.

Dariye and Nyame were both jailed for stealing N1.16bn and N1.6bn, respectively.

The two former governors, who are members of the All Progressives Congress, were convicted by Justice Adebukola Banjoko of the Abuja High Court in 2018.

Dariye, who was Plateau Governor from 1999 to 2007, was sentenced to 14 years in prison. But his term was eventually reduced to 10 years by the Court of Appeal in Abuja, while his conviction was affirmed by the Supreme Court.

For Rev Nyame, who was Taraba Governor from 1999 to 2007, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison for stealing N1.6bn from the state’s treasury. The judgment was also upheld by the Supreme Court.

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, who addressed journalists after the Council of State meeting, noted that the council approved 159 out of 162 applications presented for consideration for the prerogative of mercy for convicts and inmates in correctional facilities nationwide.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: