Connect with us

Politics

2023: Confusion In APC As Goodluck Jonathan Struggles So Enter Through Party’s Back Door

Published

on

Confusion is brewing in the ruling All Progressives Congress, especially, in its South-South and South-East zones over the sudden emergence of former President Goodluck Jonathan in the presidential race.

The N100 million nomination and expression of interest forms of the ruling party were reportedly bought for former President Jonathan by ‘Normadic Herders and Almajiris Community on Monday.

Although the Bayelsa-born politician came out to distance himself from the group and their forms, Jonathan, on the same evening, reportedly paid a visit to the National Chairman of the APC and former Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Adamu, at his residence in Abuja.

Insiders confirmed that the former President was at Adamu’s residence to seek assurance of the party’s support before he decamps from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to APC and make his intention to return to the office again public.

While Jonathan was in the meeting with Adamu, sources privy to their discussions told DAILY POST that although the APC Chairman welcomed the former President to the ruling party, there was absolutely no assurance that he could be handed the party’s presidential ticket.

Adamu, however, assured the ex-Nigerian leader that there would be a level playing field for all aspirants on the party’s platform during the primaries if he declares.

However, many Nigerians believe that Jonathan or people very close to him actually purchased the forms to beat the deadline for the sale of forms by the APC which actually ended yesterday.

A source from the ruling party said, “Yes, the former President was here at night on Monday but there was absolutely no commitment from the party Chair.

“What I’m trying to say is that Adamu did not assure him on automatic consensus ticket. Jonathan was specifically at Adamu’s residence to seek assurance on his intention to pick the party’s ticket.

“That’s all I know for now and I can categorically tell you that Adamu welcomed Jonathan to our great party and made him understand that there’s a level playing ground for everyone.”

Another source said that Jonathan had earlier met with President Muhammadu Buhari, where he also sought assurance from the President. However, details of their meeting have remained speculative.

“I’m aware that Jonathan has been doing some secret consultations among party bigwigs. He met Buhari at the Presidential Villa but I have no idea what the President told him,” the source said.

However, Jonathan’s entrant or what could be seen as appearing in the race for the APC Presidential ticket is reportedly shaking the foundation of the party as some aspirants from the South, especially the South-East and South-South are seeing the move as detrimental to their own aspiration.

Many, among the 23 aspirants of the APC see Jonathan as a strong force and would easily claim the party’s ticket and are unhappy about the move as they also believe that the former President would shortchange the South, having only four years to preside over the country after which he returned power to the North.

Jonathan is at the moment causing anxiety among other aspirants such as former Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi, who is widely seen as his political foe.

The Transportation Minister had declared his interest, picked his forms and has been on a nationwide consultation while the likes of Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipreye Sylva and Minister of Niger Delta Affairs Senator Godswill Akpabio are also said to be anxious about the development.

Prominent among aggrieved aspirants from the South East is the Minister of Science and Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, who is said to be a long term friend of President Buhari and Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige and the Governor of Ebonyi State. These aspirants have one reason or more to believe that the President would give them the nod.

They feel that the sudden emergence of Jonathan will now reduce the thickness of their chances going by the fact that Jonathan has a special place in Buhari’s heart for giving him the opportunity to see his lifelong dream of ruling Nigeria come to pass in 2015 when he willingly handed over government to him.

A chieftain of the APC in Rivers State and South-South, who would not want to be mentioned, told DAILY POST it was actually a scary moment for all the presidential aspirants in the party.

According to him, “it is true that Amaechi and others made a huge impact on President Buhari’s becoming the president but Jonathan has a big place in Buhari’s heart.”

“And the aspirants, seeing what is happening now, feel that Buhari may end up endorsing Jonathan because it even favours him as a Northerner.

“But meetings after meetings are going on as some well-meaning elders are trying to make Jonathan understand the gameplan of the North but as you know, it’s a game of interest. It’s Jonathan first before any other individuals but here we expect him to put the interest of the region ahead.

“Yes, Jonathan’s emergence caused disarray in the camps of some aspirants but some others want to see what the party’s decision would be. They believe that the decision of APC leadership is sacrosanct.

“I don’t know how true but I understand that the Presidency knows about the presidential forms obtained for Jonathan. I don’t want to speculate. And since then, the body language of our politicians here [Old Eastern Region] has slowed down a bit. As I said earlier, they want to see what the party would decide.

“Well, it would be courageous enough for Jonathan to properly enter the race but as a Southetner, I would plead with him to.forget about it .”

Meanwhile, Jonathan has been warned by some individuals and groups against returning as Nigerian President at the expense of the entire South.

Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, HURIWA, had before told Jonathan to shelve the plans of entering the race for the 2023 presidency.

They believe that Jonathan is being used as a tool by Northern APC chieftains, to reduce the number of years the South will stay in power.

Emmanuel Onwubiko of HURIWA warned the ex-President to avoid such a move, adding that contesting the election would be seen as a betrayal of the Igbo nation.

“So, Goodluck Jonathan should not replay that hatred that they showed to the Igbo after the war because if he accepts to be candidate of APC and become the president, it means he has short-changed the Igbo who gave him their all,” Onwubiko said.

“If he does that, the South-South and the South-East will never have peace or trust each other for life. Because of what happened to us after the war in the 60s, when we lost so many housing assets, they have not been forgotten.

“So, if he tried a second betrayal by accepting APC’s enticement to become President for only four years, he is doing it because he wants to short-change the Igbos.”

Also, David Umahi of Ebonyi had cautioned Jonathan to avoid embarrassing himself by entering the presidential race

Umahi said on Tuesday that if Jonathan attempts to run for the coveted office of President, it would most likely be regarded as one of the wonders of the century.

According to Umahi, “those prodding Jonathan to run for the presidency, may be plotting to embarrass him politically,” noting that “such ambition does not even align with the programmes of the APC.”

Apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, while reacting to the purchase of form for Jonathan by the Northern Coalition, told the ex-president not to forget the sacrifices Ndigbo made for him in the past.

“There is no going back to the 2023 Nigerian President of Igbo stock and anything contrary to it amounts to a denial of equity, fairness, and justice,” Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, the organisation’s Secretary, said.

Isiguzoro said “there are frantic endeavors and backstage activities to pitch Ijaws against Ndigbo, a repeat of 1966 gimmicks aimed at the resuscitating the age-long enmity between the two ethnic groups of old Eastern region, which was demolished in 2011 when Igbos adopted Jonathan as our own.”

 

Politics

Yoruba Nation Joined To Referendum Case

Published

on

By

PRESS RELEASE

Yoruba Nation has been joined to the case instituted by the Northern Elders as sought from the court by the Yoruba Nation Global Directorate at the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.

The case with suit No FHC/ABJ/CS/538/2021 – _Nastura Asir Sharif v AG Federation v Princess Atayero Olamijulo & 3 Others_ was instituted by some Northern States elders asking the court to grant the Igbos right to conduct referendum and quit Nigeria. In a swift reaction, the Yoruba Nation Global Directorate acting through its Directorate Director, Princess Adeola Atayero Olamijulo, and three others filed an application for joinder on behalf of themselves and the entire Yoruba nation to enable the court to decide once and for all the vexed issue of referendum.

In the application, the lead counsel for Yoruba Nation Global Directorate’s team of lawyers had argued that the Yoruba nation should be joined as co-defendants on the premise that the Yoruba have similar interests as the people of the Southeastern region in whose favour the plaintiffs sought for a constitutional referendum in order to decide for their rights to self-determination.

He argued further that the parties sought to be joined had already desired to file an action of this nature before the suit was instituted by the Northern elders and subsequent filing of a similar matter could amount to multiplicity of action.

He contended further that the matter could not be properly resolved without the presence and involvement of the Yoruba people who were seeking to be joined as parties in the suit, having also been agitating for self-determination for the entire Yoruba nation.

In law, if the demand of the Northern elders is granted by the court releasing the Southeasterners to exit Nigeria, it means the Yoruba too are free to exit Nigeria without much ado.

The matter argued by the Directorate’s lawyers has been adjourned to 20 October 2022 for further hearing.

Continue Reading

Politics

Breaking: 2023: Governor Lalong, Plateau Delegates Endorse Amaechi For President

Published

on

By

Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State has openly backed the presidential ambition of the immediate past Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.

Lalong stated that the All Progressives Congress (APC) delegates in the state will vote for Rotimi Amaechi in the party’s primary election.

The Governor stated this at a meeting with Amaechi and APC delegates at the government house in Jos on Friday.

Lalong revealed that he had invited other APC presidential aspirants to the state to meet delegates but they have all rejected his invite.

Lalong said: “You are the first presidential aspirant to come and see us. When I invited others to come, they said they can’t come to Plateau because it would be a waste of time because Plateau people will not vote for them, but will vote for Amaechi.

“So, you didn’t need to talk much. We want to rely on somebody that has done it before. We are telling you so that you would not waste your time to come back for campaigns. We have made our decision. You have done a lot for our people.

“You assisted each of the northern states to do registration for the APC and we updated our registration. When we came back to Plateau to contest the general election, nobody supported us, but you did.

“I was the governor and I was a candidate but you said no, as a friend, I like Plateau people and I must do my best. You invested in Plateau people and out of nowhere, we won the election. Not only myself, we have many members in the house of assembly, we have members in the national assembly. Something that nobody gave to us, you gave to us.”

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2023: Fayose Deceived Me – Ekiti Ex-Deputy Gov, Olusola Withdraws From Senatorial Race

Published

on

By

A former Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Prof Kolapo Olusola has withdrawn from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Ekiti South Senatorial primary.

In the withdrawal letter, he personally signed and addressed to the National Chairman of the PDP, the former Deputy Governor said that he even entered the race due to pressure from former Governor, Ayodele Fayose.

According to him, the former Governor, who led him into the race, has subsequently chosen to back another candidate for the same position.

This was contained in a letter entitled ‘Notification of Withdrawal from Senatorial Contest’.

“…It is expedient to note, however, that the senatorial ambition was the making of former Governor Ayodele Fayose,” he said.

According to the former Deputy Governor, Fayose had sent emissaries to him, asking him to run for the post and he had to yield to the pressure from concerned stakeholders.

“To my great surprise, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, who openly endorsed my candidacy for Senate in my town, discretely aided another person from the same constituency to pick the same senatorial form.

“I’ve consulted widely and have decided not to dwell where there is no sincerity of purpose but an arrogant display of deception and hence, pulled out from the contest,” the letter read in part.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: