Imo State Government says some suspects have named former Governor Rochas Okorocha and Uche Nwosu as sponsors of bandits and kidnappers.
Nwosu, Okorocha’s son-in-law, was a Deputy Chief of Staff and Action Alliance (AA) Imo governorship candidate in 2019.
A statement on Tuesday by Oguwike Nwachuku, Governor Hope Uzodinma’s Chief Press Secretary, said the duo were funding violence in the State.
The spokesman pointedly accused them of fuelling “kidnapping, banditry, arson and cannibalism”.
Nwachuku said they had been promoting news of the alleged arrest of the security officers attached to Uzodimma.
He noted that the aim was to stop the governor’s vow to expose the identities of those behind insecurity and other forms of criminality in Imo.
“The current media frenzy by both Rochas Okorocha and Uche Nwosu appears to be strengthening the notion of their culpability.
“The duo have resorted to publishing falsehood yet again about security officers in the State Government House.
“Their claim of the arrest and detention of a certain Shaba, whom they falsely allege to be the CSO to the Imo State Governor is strange as the Governor’s CSO is not known by the name of Shaba,” he said.
Nwachuku maintained that no security officer in the Governor’s security team was either arrested or is currently unaccounted for.
“Okorocha and Nwosu have been specifically mentioned by suspects who are in the custody of security agents, as being sponsors of kidnapping and banditry in Imo State, using their relationship with former ex-militants to perpetrate the crimes,” he alleged.
He said instead of clearing their names, they appear bent on using both overt and covert means to blackmail the Police High Command, “which legitimately arrested Uche Nwosu.”
The statement told the public to ignore reports against the State government, as well as the “failed attempt to frustrate the Imo stakeholders’ meeting taking place on Tuesday”.
Nnamdi Kanu Vs FG Suit: Heavy Security As Court Set To Deliver Judgement
Heavily armed security operatives have cordoned off the roads leading to the premises of Abia State High Court complex located on Ikot Ekpene Road Umuahia as the court is set to deliver judgement today on the suit filed by the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu against the federal government.
This online medium learnt that the barricade has forced motorists and pedestrians to take alternative routes.
The security operatives asked journalists and staff of the court to produce their identity cards before gaining access into the court premises.
During the last hearing, the presiding judge, Justice Benson Anya, had ordered security operatives to stop interfering with those coming to the court during Kanu’s suit.
The fundamental human rights suit was filed before the court by his special counsel, Aloy Ejimakor.
Ejimakor prayed the court to declare the invasion of the residence of the IPOB leader in Abia State in 2017 as unlawful and an infringement of his constitutional right.
He prayed the court to declare Kanu’s rearrest and torture in Kenya last year as unlawful.
The suit, which Ejimakor filed in August, further sought the court to stop the Nigerian government from prosecuting Kanu, mandating it to release the IPOB leader and tender an apology to Kanu, among others.
However, Ejimakor and his defence team have been sighted at the court premises.
Also on ground is the Counsel to the Chief of Army Staff, Amos Tory, among other defendant lawyers who were sighted at the courtroom.
Breaking: Supreme Court restores GTBank’s appeal against Innoson Motors on N2.4bn judgment debt
The Supreme Court has reversed its earlier decision which dismissed an appeal by Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) against a N2.4 billion judgment given in favour of Innoson Motors Nigeria Limited by the Court of Appeal in Ibadan, Oyo State.
A judgment delivered on Friday by a five-member panel, led by Justice Olukayode Ariwoola held unanimously that the Supreme Court erred when, in a ruling on February 27, 2019, it erroneously dismissed the appeal marked: SC/694/2014 filed by GTB.
In the lead judgment, written by Justice Tijani Abubakar, but read on Friday by Justice Abdu Aboki, the court held that it was misled by its Registry, which failed to promptly bring to the notice of the panel that it sat on the case on February 27, 2019, and that GTB had already filed its appellant’s brief of argument.
The judgment was on an application by GTB seeking the re-listing of the appeal on the grounds that it was wrongly dismissed.
The Supreme Court said had the panel that sat on the case on February 27, 2019, been notified of the existence of the appellant’s brief of argument, it would not have given the ruling which dismissed GTB’s appeal on grounds of lack of diligent prosecution.
Relying on Order 8 Rules 16 of the Supreme Court’s Rules, Justice Abubakar, in the lead judgment, held that the apex court has the power to set aside its decision in certain circumstances, like any other court.
He added that such circumstances include where there is any reason to do so, such as where any of the parties obtained judgment by fraud, default or deceit; where such a decision is a nullity or where it is obvious that the court was misled into giving a decision.
Justice Tijani held that the circumstances of the GTB case fall into the category of the rare cases where the Supreme Court could amend or alter its own order on the grounds that the said order or judgment did not present what it intended to record.
“I am convinced that at the material time that the appellant’s appeal was inadvertently dismissed by this court, there was in place, a valid and subsisting brief of argument filed by the applicant.
“It will be unjust to visit the sin of the court’s Registry on an innocent, vigilant, proactive and diligent litigant.
“It is obvious from the material before us, that there were errors committed by the Registry of this court, having failed to bring to the notice of the panel of Justices that sat in chambers on the 27th February 2019 that the appellant had indeed filed its brief of argument.
“This is a case deserving of positive consideration by this court.
“Having gone through all the materials in this application, therefore, I am satisfied that the appellant/applicant’s brief of argument was filed before the order of this court made on the 27th of February 2019 dismissing the applicant’s appeal.
“The order dismissing the appeal was therefore made in error. It ought not to have been made if all materials were disclosed. The application is, therefore, meritorious and hereby succeeds,” Justice Abubakar said.
He proceeded to set aside the court’s ruling of February 27, 2019, dismissing GTB’s appeal and ordered that the appeal marked 694/2014 “be relisted to constitute an integral part of the business of the court until its hearing and determination on the merit.”
Other members of the panel – Justices Ariwoola, John Okoro, Helen Ogunwumiju, Aboki – agreed with the lead judgment.
BREAKING: Gunmen Attack Imo Police Division, Kill Inspector
An attack at the Mgbidi Divisional Police Headquarters in Imo State has left a police Inspector dead with another cop sustaining injuries.
The attack which happened on Friday night caused panic in the area as the hoodlums who came in a vehicle and police operatives engaged in a gun duel.
Our correspondent gathered that on arrival, the invaders opened fire but they were repelled by the policemen on duty.
A source, who pleaded not to be mentioned, said “One police Inspector was killed during the attack. The hoodlums arrived around 9pm on Friday. They were met stiff opposition by policemen who engaged them in a shootout. Unfortunately, a police officer died.”
Confirming the development on Saturday, spokesperson for the police in the state, Micheal Abattam, said that the attackers were repelled by cops on duty.
He, however, disclosed that one inspector was killed while another sustained minor injury during the attack.
Abattam said, “On 14th January, 2022 at about 20:45 hours, the Command’s Tactical teams at Mgbidi Police Station repelled an attack by some hoodlums who came in a white hilux vehicle shooting sporadically, attempted to gain entrance into the station but were repelled by the ever gallant Imo Command’s Tactical teams and the police operatives of the division who positioned themselves professionally.
“They engaged the hoodlums in a gun duel. In the process, the attackers were suppressed almost immediately, having suffered a huge defeat, with a number of them sustaining various degrees of bullet wounds, they retreated and escaped in the Toyota Hilux vehicle they came with. And were given a hot chase by the police operatives.
“Consequently, a vigorous and aggressive manhunt of the hoodlums is ongoing with the sole aim of tracking and arresting the fleeing hoodlums since they cannot go far because of the huge damage done to them.
“However, in the course of the attack, a police Inspector lost his life, while another sustained minor bullet injury on his hand.
“Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police CP Rabiu Hussaini, commended the officers and men for their gallantry and urged them not to relent in their efforts until all criminal elements and their partners are apprehended and made to face the full wrath of the law.
“He then appealed to Imolites for the continuous support and collaboration by giving security agencies especially the Police, credible and timely information and to report any person seen treating bullet wounds or hiding within the community to the nearest police station for prompt action.”
BREAKING: Osinbajo meets state governors over fuel subsidy, launches COVID-19 stimulus program
LASOMP Congratulates Rasheed Bolarinwa As He Emerges ACAMB President
Police Arrest Suspect Over Disappearance Of 35-year-old Woman In Lagos
Latest NPower News On Stipends Payment For Today Thursday 20th January 2022
Fuel Subsidy Removal: We’ll Engage Organised Labour – NGF
Electoral Bill: NASS Bows To Buhari, Approves Direct, Indirect Primaries For Parties
Rasheed Bolarinwa Elected As ACAMB President
Osun 2022: Family At War As Governorship Ambition Tears Senator Ademola and Dele Adeleke Apart
PVCs: Tinubu Tenders Apology Over Misleading Claim
Sanwo-Olu Acquires Two 330kmph Speed Trains For Red Line Metro (Photos, Video)
Politics2 days ago
Breaking: Former Lagos State Governor, Ambode Breaks Long Silence…
News2 days ago
Nigerian-born Canadian minister suspended for calling police chief over traffic ticket
Opinions2 days ago
Principled Political Choices Are Not Betrayal – Babafemi Ojudu
News23 hours ago
Court Orders FG To Pay Nnamdi Kanu N1bn, Recommends Political Solution
News19 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Acquires Two 330kmph Speed Trains For Red Line Metro (Photos, Video)
News2 days ago
I don’t want to see Nnamdi Kanu in this attire again —Judge to DSS
News1 day ago
N20bn: Tinubu, Alpha Beta ex-MD Consider Out-of-court Settlement
News2 days ago
Lagos Commercial Bus Operators To Pay N292,000 Annually Fee To State Government