Connect with us

News

Wike Tables Fresh Demand From Buhari Govt Amid VAT Row

Published

on

Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike has called for an upward review of revenue allocation from federal coffers to states and local governments to enable them meet current realities.

Giving his keynote address at the South-South zonal public hearing on the review of the existing revenue allocation, Mr Wike dismissed the existing sharing formula as “an outcome of the military fiat as far back as 1992” which is no longer tenable after 22 years of democratic rule.

The event was organised by the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) in Port Harcourt. Mr Wike was represented by his deputy Ipalibo Banigo.

He noted that the federal government was over burdened and overloaded and could not efficiently deliver a federal system as envisaged.

He said that the states were undertaking so much in security and logistics for security as well as mass infrastructure, adding that “It is only fair that the federal government should reduce its loads and the allocations to the federal government should be reduced.”

Mr Wike, who earlier received Elias Mbam, the chairman of the commission, in his office during a courtesy call, urged the commission to reduce the federal government allocation to 40 per cent.

He also called for an increase to the states to 40 per cent as well as the local governments to 20 per cent.

“In that way, most of the responsibilities that belong to the federal government will now be taken away and given to the states,’’ he said.

Mr Wike stated that the current revenue sharing formula of 52.68 per cent to the federal government, 26.72 per cent to states and 20.60 per cent to states was not acceptable.

RMAFC boss, Mr Mbam, said that the commission embarked on the process of reviewing the existing vertical revenue allocation formula due to the constitutional provision.

Mr Mbam explained that the Paragraph 32 (b), Part 1 of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution as amended empowered the commission to review from time to time the revenue allocation formulae and principles in operation.

He said that such review was to ensure conformity with the changing realities.

He said that the schedule provided that any revenue formula accepted by an act of the National Assembly should remain in force for not less than five years from the date of commencement of the act.

According to him, since the last review of the revenue allocation formula in 1992, a lot of socioeconomic and political changes have taken place.

“Therefore, the review has become necessary in order to reflect the changing realities,’’ the chairman said.

He said that already the commission had placed advertisements in print and electronic media, calling for memoranda from the stakeholders in order to achieve its objective.

Mr Mbam, however, assured that the commission would take serious consideration to all views and recommendations that would emanate from the public hearing.

(NAN)

News

EndSARS: CNN, Amnesty International Must Apologise To FG -Lai Mohammed

Published

on

By

The Federal Government has demanded an apology from Amnesty International, CNN and DJ Switch for misleading the world that there was a massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate on Oct. 20, 2020.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed made this demand on the occasion of the first year anniversary of the famous #EndSARS protests in Nigeria.

According to the Minister who spoke during a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday, CNN, Amnesty, and DJ Switch are all guilty of spreading fake news.

Mohammed maintained that there was no massacre of Nigerian youths at the Lekki Toll Gate incident during the protest last year and the trio mentioned only gave false and misleading reports.

The Minister insisted a professional analysis of what transpired at the Lekki Toll Gate revealed that the military didn’t massacre anyone while if truly there was any killing as widely reported, the families of the victims and those affected would have appeared with evidence before the Judicial Panel of Inquiry.

Not done, Lai Mohammed further accused the trio of spreading ‘tales by moonlight’ about what he described as the phantom killings at the Lekki Toll Gate during the EndSARS protests last year.

He said: “…During the sitting, CNN was summoned but it never showed up, thus missing a great opportunity to prove its allegation of massacre at the toll gate. Also, Amnesty International had a golden opportunity to convince the world, but it rather opted for issuing meaningless press releases.”

“In its latest attempt to grasp at straws and redeem whatever is left of its battered credibility on this issue, CNN has continued with its baseless report that soldiers shot at protesters. In a report currently running on the network, CNN brazenly and unashamedly held on to its flawed narrative, relying on an unidentified mother whose son was reportedly shot dead at Lekki, but without convincing evidence of who shot him dead. The same CNN that tweeted on Oct. 23rd 2020 that 38 people were shot dead at Lekki is now struggling to convince the world that one boy was killed at Lekki. What a shame!”

“The testimony of ballistic experts before the Judicial Panel of Inquiry in Lagos contradicts the tales by the moonlight by Amnesty International, CNN, a runaway DJ, and their ilk.”

 

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Police Arrest #EndSARSMemorial Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

By

Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command have arrested two protesters at the Lekki tollgate where the #EndSARS Memorial Protest is scheduled to hold in the state today.

One of those arrested claimed to be a journalist while the other was seen carrying a placard.

The police had reportedly warned that anyone seen at the tollgate without an ID card will be arrested.

The arrested journalist told newsmen that he works with LegitTV and that his phone, driver’s license and other documents were taken away from him.

Speaking from a Lagos State Task Force van where he was kept by the police, the journalist who identified himself as Abisola stated that he lost his ID card in transit.

About 30 police trucks and armed personnel are currently at the tollgate to enforce a ban on protests issued by the police command.

A car procession in honour of those believed to have lost their lives at the tollgate when soldiers dispersed #EndSARS protesters on October 20, 2020, is scheduled to hold at the tollgate today.

What #EndSARS protests were about

The #EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad, a unit of the Nigeria Police Force which was accused of police brutality.

The epicentre of the protests was the Lekki tollgate in Lagos where many youths gathered day and night to air their grievances against police brutality and bad governance.

They were dispersed from the location by gun-wielding soldiers on October 20, 2020, an action which some quarters believe led to the loss of lives.

This was followed by the destruction of private and public properties by hoodlums in Lagos, an incident that informed the latest warning issued by the police in the state.

PUNCH

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Police Threaten To Punish Inspector For Voting At APC Congress

Published

on

By

The Zone 1 Command of the Nigeria Police Force, Kano, on Tuesday said its attention had been drawn to a trending picture on the social media, of a police inspector casting his vote at the Kano State congress of the All Progressives Congress alongside his principal, the state party chairman, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas.

A statement by the Zonal Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Ambursa, added that the inspector had been identified as Bashir Mohammed of the Special Protection Unit, Base 1, Kano.

According to the statement, the Inspector is attached to the Government House, Kano, from where he was deployed to work with Abbas as a security aide.

“In view of this seemingly unprofessional conduct of the inspector, the AIG (Assistant Inspector General of Police) has referred the matter to the Zonal X-Squad for investigation.

“If the inspector is found to have committed the offence, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against him,” the statement said.

The police assured members of the public that further development on the matter would be communicated.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: