Connect with us

News

Anti-open grazing law: FG backs herders’ planned suit against South govs, police differ on enforcement

Published

on

The Federal Government on Sunday has thrown its weight behind moves by herdsmen to sue southern governors over the anti-open grazing bill they recently signed into law.

The Special Assistant (Media) to the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Dr Umar Gwandu, who disclosed this in an interview with The PUNCH, said Nigerians whose rights had been violated could go to court to seek protection.

Gwandu stated this as state police commands on Sunday differed on the enforcement of the law.

While Ebonyi and Osun state police commands told our correspondents that they would enforce the law, a source in the Lagos State Police Command stated that the police would only provide protection to the enforcement team of the state.

The Rivers State Police Commissioner, Friday Eboka, on his part said he had not seen a copy of the state anti-open grazing law.

But a top police officer told one of our correspondents that it would be difficult for state commands to enforce the law without the support of force headquarters.

Most southern states, including Lagos, Ondo, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Abia, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Enugu, and just recently, Delta and Ogun states, signed the anti-open grazing bill into law.

The Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore group, while reacting to the passage of the law in the southern states, described it as ‘satanic’ and ‘politically motivated,’ adding that it would sue the governors over the law.

The National Secretary of the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore group, Selah Alhassan, told Sunday PUNCH, threatened that the group would sue the southern governors.

Gwandu, in an interview with one of our correspondents, stated, “The rights trampled upon are individual rights of Nigerians as constitutionally guaranteed.

“The Nigerians whose rights are violated reserve the right to approach the court for the protection of such rights within the context of freedom of movement among others. It will be viewed with that consideration in mind.”

Anti-open grazing: We’ll arrest, prosecute offenders, say Ebonyi police

In Ebonyi State, the state Police Command says it will arrest and prosecute violators of the anti-open grazing law in the state.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Aliyu Garba, stated this in a telephone interview with one of our correspondents in Abakaliki, on Sunday.

When asked if the police would enforce the law, Garba asked, “Why not? We will arrest and prosecute offenders. Come with a complaint and see whether it is not going to be attended to.”

Also, the Ogun State Police Command said that it was ready to implement the anti-open grazing law in the state as soon as possible.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said this in a chat with one of our correspondents in Abeokuta.

When asked when the police would begin the implementation, Oyeyemi said, “We will begin as soon as possible.”

We’ll enforce open-grazing prohibition law better than police – Rivers vigilante

A popular vigilante group in Rivers State, Diobu Security Service, also said it would enforce the law.

The Chairman of the Diobu vigilante, Prince Amatari who said during an interview with one of our correspondents said the group would enforce the law better than the police because of its presence in the rural areas.

“We have said that the security architecture should be decentralised because the responsibility of the police is much.

“And the police have not been able to effectively carry out their duties because the entire nation relies on them. If arrests are made by other security agencies, including the Army, they take such persons to the police.”

I haven’t seen the law – Rivers CP

When contacted, the state Commissioner of Police, Friday Eboka said, “They (the state government) have not passed the law to us. I have not seen it.”

Asked if the command was ready to enforce anti-open grazing law in the state, Osun Police Command said as law enforcers, it was duty bound to enforce any law made by the government.

The spokesperson for the command, Yemisi Opalola, said police in the state would enforce any law made.

She said, “We are law enforcers. Our duty is to enforce the law made by the government. We will enforce any law made by government in the state.”

Lagos police will only provide security for enforcement team – Source

Reacting to the readiness of the police command in enforcing the anti-open grazing law in Lagos State, a police source said the responsibility of the police was to provide security for the enforcement team established by the state government to enforce the law.

“There is an enforcement team to be established by the state government to enforce the law and when the enforcement team is established, the police will provide security during enforcement.

“The enforcement team is going to be trained and empowered by the state government, and a place like a ranch will also be established to keep the cows until the fine is paid.

“But the job of the police is to give protection to the enforcement team during enforcement of the law in the state. The enforcement team has not been established, it is when the team is established that enforcement will be in full swing,” the source said.

The Ondo State Command of the Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun stated that enforcement of the state anti-open grazing law had commenced as some herders and cows had been arrested and dealt with according to the law.

The state Commander of the corps, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, said a number of cows and herders had been arrested and they were made to pay fine and signed an undertaking not to violate the law again.

He said “After the law has been signed, we arrested over 180 cows, together with some herders. We have a number of herders that have been arrested we are making them to comply with the enacted law which stipulates penalty for defaulting herders.

“The position of the law is that, if they choose to go to court, we would implement the law as it is stated, which stipulates the minimum of N100, 000 fine or three years imprisonment.”

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending