News
FG Files Fresh Charges Against Ex-AGF Malami, Son Over Alleged N1bn Fraud
The Federal Government has instituted new money laundering charges against former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, and his son, Abubakar Abdulaziz Malami, over alleged financial transactions exceeding N1 billion.
The 16-count charge, filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja and marked FHC/ABJ/CR/700/2025, lists the Federal Republic of Nigeria as the complainant, with Hajia Bashir Asabe named as a co-defendant.
According to court documents, the defendants are accused of handling, transferring, and concealing funds suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities.
Investigators allegedly traced a total of N1,014,848,500 to a Sterling Bank account linked to the transactions.
The prosecution claims the funds were laundered through corporate entities, including Metropolitan Auto Tech Limited, which was allegedly used as a front to obscure the source and movement of the money.
It is further alleged that between 2015 and 2025, several properties in Abuja, Kano, and Kebbi states were acquired with illicit funds.
The properties reportedly include luxury homes in high-end areas such as Maitama, Asokoro, Gwarimpa, and Jabi, with some transactions said to have occurred while Malami was in office as Attorney-General.
One of the counts alleges that between July 2022 and June 2025, the defendants procured Metropolitan Auto Tech Limited to conceal the unlawful origin of over N1.014 billion, an offence said to contravene the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.
The charge sheet also outlines the alleged use of bank accounts, hotel businesses, and real estate firms to retain, move, or disguise large sums of money, including payments for hotels, plazas, duplexes, and landed properties.
Prosecutors argue that the defendants “reasonably ought to have known” the funds were derived from illegal activities.
Malami served as Nigeria’s Attorney-General from 2015 to 2023 under former President Muhammadu Buhari and faced repeated corruption allegations during his tenure, which he consistently denied.
Meanwhile, in a related case, the Federal High Court in Abuja had earlier granted Malami interim bail in a separate matter involving the EFCC.
The court ordered him to surrender his passport and meet existing bail conditions, including providing two sureties.
The case has been adjourned until January 5, 2026, for further proceedings.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
-
News1 day agoTragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
-
News2 days agoUnity, Providus Banks Merger A Done Deal As Integration Progresses
-
News1 day agoOgun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
-
News17 hours agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
News2 days ago37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React
-
News1 day agoSterling HoldCo Commences Allotment Of Public Offer Shares
-
News1 day agoReserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
