Connect with us

News

Why Mahmood Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri Made Ambassadorial List — Presidency

Published

on

Demola Oshodi, the Senior Special Assistant (Protocol) to President Bola Tinubu, has outlined some reasons why figures such as former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu; former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode; and a former presidential aide, Reno Omokri, were named in the recently published ambassadorial list.

 

President Tinubu last week forwarded a list of ambassadorial nominees to the National Assembly for screening and confirmation.

 

Names such as Fani-Kayode, Reno Omokri, and Yakubu on the list have generated significant reactions from Nigerians. Many feel that personalities like Fani-Kayode and Omokri may not be suitable for such appointments.

 

But speaking on Arise News – The Morning Show, Oshodi said that in any appointment, there are always people who oppose and others who support such moves. He noted that what matters is maintaining balance in the appointments, adding that Nigerians should understand the President’s considerations for what would make his administration successful.

 

“We voted for him. We give him the right to choose his executives, so we have to trust his judgment,” he said.

 

When asked about the controversies surrounding the nominations of Yakubu, Omokri, and Fani-Kayode, and how they are strategic to aiding Nigeria’s foreign policy direction between now and 2027, Oshodi added:

 

“We can look at the professor’s years of career. He’s been in charge of Nigeria’s electoral body for many years. He helped conduct the 2019 and 2023 elections, and I think it’s generally considered a good job.

 

“So these non-career diplomats are political. Their first priority is loyalty. They have been loyal to the administration and understand its vision.”

 

Asked how Yakubu had demonstrated his loyalty to the administration, and whether it was through his conduct in the last election, Oshodi clarified:

 

“No, it’s the criteria of national service. I’m just giving you different reasons why the President made his judgment. There’s also ethnic and state balance.

 

“He needs to ensure there’s a general federal character. I don’t know specifically the President’s judgment on the professor, but I can tell you for a fact that his national service has been exemplary. That is why he has been rewarded with this high office. Of course, as you said, his loyalty to the President is based on all four criteria.

 

“I said specifically, we don’t know exactly what the President decided on. It could be national service, because you can say he served this country for a long period in a commendable way.

 

“So you can’t just focus on loyalty and say that is the reason. I gave three reasons why he’s there, apart from his competence in this field.”

 

On Fani-Kayode, he added: “It’s not really that simple. The President’s reason for appointing diplomats, especially ambassadors and high commissioners, is based on how he assesses their competence and capacity.

 

“Some countries and situations require certain skills and attributes, and I want to believe the President’s judgment is based on that. There are reasons why these people are appointed.

 

“Mr. Fani-Kayode has served this country in many capacities. Being divisive does not eliminate him from serving further.

 

“Everyone’s personal life is personal. The President’s decision is based on national service and, in many ways, a balance of competence.”

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending