Connect with us

News

Cruz Bill Aims To Hold Nigerian Officials, 12 States Accountable For Religious Violence

Published

on

United States Senator Ted Cruz has called on the White House to impose targeted sanctions on Nigerian government officials and 12 state governments that enforce Sharia and blasphemy laws, saying these laws are being used to persecute Christians in the country.

 

Speaking in Washington on Wednesday, Senator Cruz praised President Donald Trump for reinstating Nigeria’s designation as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC), a classification used by the U.S. State Department to identify nations accused of severe violations of religious freedom.

 

The designation, which had been removed under President Joe Biden, was restored last week following growing pressure from religious freedom advocates and conservative lawmakers in the U.S.

 

Cruz, a long-time critic of the Biden administration’s foreign policy on religious rights, said the previous government “turned a blind eye” to what he described as the mass killing of Christians by extremist groups in northern Nigeria.

 

“Unfortunately, Joe Biden came into office and immediately removed Nigeria from the list,” Cruz said.

 

“He lifted pressure, ended sanctions, and looked away while radical terrorists continued slaughtering Christians.”

 

He added that President Trump’s renewed action was both “necessary and moral.”

 

“When President Trump was re-elected, I led efforts urging him to redesignate Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern. Last Friday, he did, and it was absolutely the right thing to do.”

 

Senator Cruz revealed he has introduced new legislation that seeks to impose visa bans, asset freezes, and financial restrictions on Nigerian officials and state governments accused of enforcing laws that infringe on religious freedom.

 

“I’ve introduced a bill that would sanction those responsible for facilitating or condoning these mass atrocities,” he said.

 

“Twelve Nigerian states enforce Sharia law and blasphemy laws. These are being used to persecute Christians, and the officials involved are complicit.”

 

Cruz urged the White House to use America’s “full range of sanctioning tools” to pressure the Nigerian authorities to halt religious persecution.

 

“These actions are not about punishing Nigeria, they’re about incentivizing change and protecting innocent lives,” he said.

 

The renewed push for sanctions follows President Trump’s recent comments warning that the U.S. “will not stand by while Christians are being killed” in Nigeria.

 

In a statement released by the White House, Trump reaffirmed that Nigeria has officially been placed on the CPC list and warned that Washington could cut aid or take military action if the violence continues.

 

“Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria,” Trump said. “Thousands are being killed by radical Islamists. The United States will not tolerate these atrocities.”

 

He also called on congressional leaders, including Rep. Riley Moore and House Appropriations Chair Tom Cole, to immediately review U.S. aid to Nigeria and report back with recommendations.

 

“The U.S. is willing and able to defend religious minorities. The killing of Christians will not continue under our watch,” Trump added.

 

The Nigerian government has dismissed the U.S. allegations, saying they are based on misinformation and political bias. Officials in Abuja insist that ongoing violence in parts of the country stems from criminality, ethnic clashes, and banditry, not religious persecution.

 

“The Nigerian Constitution guarantees freedom of religion and protects all faiths,” a government spokesperson said earlier. “The suggestion that there is a campaign of Christian genocide is both inaccurate and unfair.”

 

Nigeria was first designated as a Country of Particular Concern in 2020 during President Trump’s first term, due to reports of rising attacks by Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

 

The designation was removed under President Biden in 2021 amid diplomatic engagements with Abuja.

 

Human rights groups and international observers have continued to warn of deteriorating security conditions in northern Nigeria, where thousands have been killed or displaced in attacks by armed groups.

 

Cruz’s proposed sanctions, if enacted, could mark one of the most significant escalations in U.S.-Nigeria relations in years.

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending