News
80 Bandits Killed In Kebbi Clash As Troops Secure Border Community
Troops of the Nigerian military have neutralised no fewer than 80 armed bandits attempting to infiltrate Kebbi State from the Zamfara border, in one of the most decisive security operations recorded in recent months.
The Special Adviser to the Governor on Communication and Strategy, Abdullahi Idris Zuru, disclosed this in a statement released on Sunday, describing the operation as a major victory in the state’s ongoing war against banditry.
According to him, the success recorded in Ngaski Local Government Area was the result of the strategic deployment of fully equipped troops across Kebbi’s borders with Sokoto, Zamfara, and Niger States, as directed by Governor Nasir Idris.
Zuru explained that Governor Idris had earlier requested additional military reinforcements to strengthen border security, a move that has since led to the neutralisation of hundreds of bandits and the restoration of peace in several communities.
He said credible intelligence reports prompted the strategic positioning of troops around Makurdi village, where soldiers engaged the heavily armed attackers in fierce gun battles on Friday and Saturday nights.
“About 80 bandits were neutralised, while several others escaped with gunshot wounds,” said Director of Security, Abdulrahaman Usman, adding that dozens of motorcycles and two abducted victims were recovered during the operation.
Zuru noted that the Kebbi State Government’s collaboration with security agencies, particularly the Nigerian Army, has been crucial in sustaining the momentum against banditry. 4
He added that Governor Idris had donated 100 Hilux vehicles and 5,000 motorcycles to enhance troop mobility and response capacity.
Reacting to the success, the Emir of Yauri, Zayyanu Muhammad, commended the gallantry of the troops and lauded Governor Idris for his unwavering commitment to safeguarding lives and property across the state.
“The people of Kebbi are proud of the sacrifices of our soldiers and the leadership of Governor Idris, whose efforts are restoring peace and hope to our communities,” the Emir said.
Security sources said the latest onslaught has forced several bandit groups to retreat deeper into neighbouring forests, signalling that Kebbi is becoming increasingly unsafe for criminal elements.
PUNCH Online had reported that troops of Operation Hadin Kai have killed more than 50 terrorists and repelled multiple coordinated attacks on military locations across Borno and Yobe States.
The Nigerian military said the simultaneous attacks occurred between midnight and 4am on Thursday when terrorists launched assaults on troops’ positions in Dikwa, Mafa, Gajibo and Katarko, situated within Sectors 1 and 2 of the Joint Operations Area 1.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News2 days agoReserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
-
News2 days agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
