Connect with us

News

First Lady Oluremi Tinubu Secures Qatar Foundation Support For Almajiri Education

Published

on

Nigeria’s First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu, has successfully partnered with the Qatar Foundation to launch a new education initiative targeting the country’s Almajiri and out-of-school children.

 

The agreement was forged in Doha, following a meeting with the foundation’s Founder and Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza Bint Nasser Al-Missned.

 

Mrs. Tinubu, who led the Nigerian delegation, sought the foundation’s collaboration to address the challenge of more than 15 million out-of-school children in Nigeria — the highest number globally.

 

The Federal Government will now move forward with a new schooling model that integrates both Islamic and formal education.

 

These facilities are designed to provide a comprehensive learning environment, including housing and skill-building opportunities for students, caregivers, and imams. To ensure high standards, the Qatar Foundation will assist the Ministry of Education with technical expertise and teacher training.

 

In a statement yesterday in Abuja by her Senior Special Assistant on Media, Busola Kukoyi, the First Lady said: “These schools will host and care for children in a safe learning environment, including mosques for worship, skills acquisition facilities, and boarding accommodations for students, Imams, and caregivers.

 

“This holistic approach will allow children to acquire both formal and Islamic education free from exploitation, while equipping them with life skills to contribute meaningfully to society.”

 

Mrs. Tinubu noted that the scale of the challenge required strategic international partnerships, adding: “Given the magnitude of this challenge and the competing demands on our national resources, Nigeria cannot achieve this alone. Your Highness represents precisely the kind of visionary partner who can help us make this dream a reality.”

 

She lauded Sheikha Moza’s global leadership and humanitarian record through the Qatar Foundation, particularly its landmark education projects, such as the Education City, which hosts over 40 schools and universities, and the Qatar National Library.

 

“I am proud to learn of your achievements in surpassing the target of enrolling 10 million marginalised children into school. Watching you do all these great works reinforces our conviction that change is possible,” the First Lady said.

 

Sheikha Moza Bint Nasser Al-Missned, who is also the Chairperson of the Qatar Foundation, promised that the foundation would actively support Nigeria’s Almajiri and Out-of-School Children Education initiative.

 

She announced that the foundation would work directly with Nigeria’s Ministry of Education to provide technical support, including the training of handlers and teachers in the proposed schools, to ensure high-quality learning outcomes.

 

Mrs. Tinubu had earlier toured the foundation’s headquarters in Doha, where she was received by the CEO, Yousif Al Na’am, and other senior officials.

 

During the visit, she was informed that Nigeria currently has 41 alumni from the Muhammad Khalifa University.

 

Senator Tinubu was accompanied by the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate; the Minister of State for Education, Prof. Suwaiba Ahmed; and the Executive Secretary of the National Commission for Almajiri and Out-of-School Children Education, Dr. Muhammad Sani Idris.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending