Connect with us

News

Probe Launched After Abuja-Kaduna Train Derailment Injures Six

Published

on

A passenger train travelling from Abuja to Kaduna derailed on Tuesday morning, leaving several carriages overturned and triggering panic among those on board.

 

The incident occurred around 11:09 am at KM 49 between Kubwa Station and Asham Station.

 

According to eyewitnesses, the derailment happened without warning, causing confusion and chaos as passengers rushed out of the affected cabins. Six passengers were confirmed injured. “It is a complete pandemonium. People who were confirmed to be saved were seen running in different directions. It was pure panic,” one eyewitness, who simply identified himself as Abubakar, said.

 

The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau confirmed that six passengers sustained injuries in the incident, although no fatalities were recorded. A team of investigators has been deployed to the site to gather evidence and begin an investigation into the accident.

 

“We deeply sympathise with all who sustained injuries. The bureau has deployed investigators to the site to ensure the root cause of this derailment is uncovered,” NSIB Director-General, Capt Alex Badeh, said in a statement. “Our commitment is to ensure safer rail transport for Nigerians through a transparent and independent investigation.”

 

The Nigerian Railway Corporation confirmed the derailment and stated that emergency services had been activated to respond promptly to the situation. “Emergency rescue, medical personnel, and nearby hospitals have already been mobilised. Full complement of security already on ground as effort is ongoing to move all passengers on train back to Abuja safely,” the NRC stated.

 

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State expressed sympathy to the victims and ordered immediate rescue operations. “The governor has instructed that every necessary support be extended to passengers to minimise the impact of this unfortunate incident,” Commissioner-designate for Information Malam Ahmed Maiyaki said.

 

The incident is being jointly investigated by federal railway officials, security agencies, and emergency responders to determine whether it was caused by technical failure, poor maintenance, or sabotage.

 

Former Kaduna Central Senator Shehu Sani blamed negligence by authorities for the derailment, citing consistent complaints from passengers about security and safety on the corridor.

 

The Abuja-Kaduna train corridor has faced repeated disruptions over the years, including a terrorist attack in March 2022 that left several dead and many abducted. Tuesday’s derailment has rekindled fears among residents and passengers who depend on the train service as a safer alternative to the Abuja-Kaduna expressway.

 

President Bola Tinubu also expressed sadness over the derailment. In a statement released on his X account, Tinubu said he was monitoring the situation even while in Brazil. “I am deeply saddened by this incident. My heartfelt prayers are with the injured, their families, and all passengers who went through this distressing experience,” Tinubu said.

 

He added that he has been receiving updates and is awaiting a full briefing to ensure swift action. “I am staying updated on the latest developments and await a full briefing to ensure swift action and support for all affected. The NRC is already addressing the situation, and necessary steps are expected to be taken to prevent similar occurrences in the future,” he stated.

 

The National Emergency Management Agency, however, stated that seven passengers were injured in the train derailment, adding that they received immediate first aid at the scene before being transferred to a hospital for further treatment.

 

This was disclosed in a press statement signed by NEMA’s Head of Press Unit, Manzo Ezekiel on Tuesday. The statement also noted that the Director-General of the agency, Mrs Zubaida Umar, led the agency’s rescue team to the site of a train derailment along the Abuja–Kaduna rail line.

 

NEMA explained, “The incident occurred after 11 am today. Although no fatalities were recorded, seven passengers sustained varying degrees of injury. They were promptly administered first aid at the scene before being taken to hospital for further medical attention.

 

“The rescue operation was a multi-agency effort coordinated by NEMA, with the swift support of the Nigerian military, the Nigeria Police Force, Nigeria Immigration Service, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and others, whose vigilance and rapid response led to the smooth conduct of the operation.

 

“Further information on the cause of the accident will be provided by investigators from the Ministry of Transportation, whose acting Permanent Secretary was also present at the site of the derailment,” it stated.

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending