Connect with us

News

Daylight Bloody Attack In Kwara, Multiple Fatalities Reported

Published

on

Gunmen suspected to be bandits on Friday afternoon invaded Babanla community in the Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, killing an unconfirmed number of people, including security operatives.

 

Saturday Tribune recalls that a similar attack occurred in the same local government area last Friday, in Ganmu community, where two people were killed and three abducted.

 

In response to the latest incident, the state government has established an immediate security cordon around Babanla.

 

According to a viral voice note by a resident, the armed attackers fired sporadically, targeted the local police station and looted several grocery shops and a hotel before being repelled by security forces and some brave members of the community.

 

The resident claimed that the invaders numbered about 300 and described them as herders.

 

He added that most members of the local vigilante group were absent during the invasion, having reportedly travelled for a meeting, a development which, he said, gave the attackers a free hand to loot shops, homes and cart away food items.

 

He said the number of those killed or kidnapped could not yet be ascertained, adding that many residents fled to Oreke, a neighbouring community, for safety.

 

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Toun Ejire-Adeyemi, confirmed the incident, describing it as “a sad development.”

 

She quoted the Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, as saying that the command was on top of the situation and had deployed additional security operatives to the area to contain the attack and forestall future incidents.

 

In a separate statement, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Rafiu Ajakaye, said the government had taken swift measures to secure Babanla following the breach.

 

“The criminals on Friday targeted a police station, attempted to loot a few grocery shops and a hotel in the community before they were repelled by the security forces and bold members of the community,” the statement read.

 

It added that Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, who has been in constant touch with security commanders and local vigilante leaders, has ordered a sustained security lockdown of the axis to neutralise the threat and ensure public safety.

 

“While further briefings are awaited, the Governor reassures the public that concerted efforts are being made, in coordination with the Office of the National Security Adviser, to cleanse the area of the criminals,” the statement continued.

 

The governor also urged residents to give maximum support to security forces and not to panic as operations continue in the area.

 

On Friday last week, in the same local government area, two travellers were killed and three others abducted by unknown gunmen in Ganmu village, in the same Ifelodun Local Government Area of the state.

 

Saturday Tribune gathered that the victims were travelling from Lagos to Babanla town when their vehicle developed a flat tyre near Ganmu.

 

While attempting to fix the fault, they were ambushed by five armed men. The attackers shot dead Alhaji Abdulrazak Ewenla, a native of Ajia village, and Jimoh Audu from Ganmu.

 

The gunmen also abducted Kazeem Ajide, Wahidi and Mufutau (surnames of the latter two yet to be confirmed) and took them to an unknown location.

 

In a statement on Thursday, the state police spokesperson, Toun Ejire-Adeyemi, confirmed the incident and assured the public that investigations were ongoing.

 

She said every effort was being made to rescue the abductees unharmed and apprehend the perpetrators.

 

The statement also addressed a viral video circulating on social media, which claimed that residents of Ganmu Ahileri near Babanla had fled due to repeated bandit attacks, portraying the community as a “ghost town.”

 

“The command categorically states that the information is misleading and aimed at creating unnecessary panic and fear among citizens,” the statement said.

 

“While it is true that an unfortunate criminal incident occurred on July 31, 2025, resulting in the death of two victims and the kidnap of three others, the command has since taken prompt and decisive action.

 

“Upon receipt of the report, tactical operatives, including a combined team of police personnel, the military and local vigilantes, were immediately deployed to the scene,” it added.

 

The statement further explained that the armed security presence shown in the viral video reflected the coordinated deployment of forces to restore confidence, maintain public safety and ensure the rescue of kidnapped victims, adding that normalcy had been restored to the area.

 

The command reiterated its commitment to protecting lives and property across the state.

 

 

 

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending