Connect with us

Politics

Stay Away From National Assembly, Senate Warns Natasha Akpoti

Published

on

The Senate has warned suspended Kogi lawmaker, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan to desist from forcefully resuming her legislative duties on Tuesday until the expiration of her suspension.

Chairman of the Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Yemi Adaramodu gave the warning in a statement issued on Sunday.

While insisting that no valid court order mandates her immediate recall, Adaramodu emphasised that the Senate remains committed to due process and the rule of law.

He said, “The Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria wishes to reaffirm, for the third time, that there is no subsisting court order mandating the Senate to recall Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan before the expiration of her suspension.”

The clarification followed media reports quoting the embattled lawmaker as saying she would return to the Senate on Tuesday, allegedly based on a judgment by Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja.

However, Adaramodu said the Senate had previously issued two public statements after the court ruling and the release of the Certified True Copy of the Enrolled Order, making it clear that no positive or mandatory directive was issued against the Senate regarding her recall.

“Rather, the Honourable Court gave a non-binding advisory urging the Senate to consider amending its Standing Orders and reviewing the suspension, which it opined might be excessive.

“The Court, however, explicitly held that the Senate did not breach any law or constitutional provision in imposing the disciplinary measure based on the Senator’s misconduct during plenary,” he said.

The Senate further noted that the same court found Akpoti-Uduaghan guilty of contempt and imposed penalties, including a ₦5m fine payable to the Federal Government and a mandatory apology in two national newspapers and on her Facebook page, a directive that has reportedly not been complied with.

“It is therefore surprising and legally untenable that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, while on appeal and having filed a motion for stay against the valid and binding orders made against her, is attempting to act upon an imaginary order of recall that does not exist,” the Senate spokesman added.

He warned that any move by the suspended lawmaker to “storm the Senate next Tuesday under a false pretext” would be premature, disruptive, and a breach of legislative order.

“The Senate will, at the appropriate time, consider the advisory opinion of the court on both amending the Standing Orders of the Senate, her recall, and communicate the same thereof to Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan.

“Until then, she is respectfully advised to stay away from the Senate chambers and allow due process to run its full course,” the statement concluded.

 

Politics

ADC’s Aisha Yesufu Issues Public Apology For Listing Yemi Adamolekun Without Consent

Published

on

By

Prominent activist and African Democratic Congress (ADC) member Aisha Yesufu has issued a public apology to governance advocate Yemi Adamolekun following a controversy over her inclusion in the party’s Wise Men and Women Policy and Manifesto Committee.

The issue emerged on Wednesday after Adamolekun, former executive director of Enough is Enough Nigeria, expressed surprise on social media at seeing her name listed among members of the ADC committee.

Tagging Yesufu and ADC spokesperson Bolaji Abdullahi, Adamolekun questioned the party’s process in a blunt post on X.

“ADC! ADC! ADC! How many times did I call you? This is not how to build credibility o! Please show me evidence of when I joined your party! Na wa….” she wrote.

Responding the same day, Abdullahi said the committee was designed to be expert-driven rather than strictly partisan.

“It is important to point out that not everyone on the ADC Policy and Manifesto Committee is a member of the ADC. Many are not even politicians,” he said.

He added, “This is because the ADC believes that the task of developing workable public policies for the benefit of all Nigerians should not be left to politicians alone.”

Abdullahi maintained that the party had followed due process.

He said the ADC had undergone a “vetting process” and “took all necessary measures to ensure that everyone recommended to serve on this important committee was duly notified and had given their consent.”

Despite the disagreement, he expressed hope that Adamolekun would still participate, citing her “vast experience – even though she is not a member of our party.”

However, reacting on Friday, Yesufu, a member of the party’s Revalidation, Mobilisation and Registration Committee, acknowledged the error and apologised publicly.

She wrote, “This is inexcusable, and on behalf of my party, accept my apologies for this mix-up. We do not take you and your need to have a better Nigeria for granted.”

Yesufu admitted the process was flawed.

“Like you rightly pointed out, you ought to have been informed and your consent gotten before your name is published.

“This is well noted, and going forward we will continue to ensure due diligence,” she said.

She added, “Thank you for calling our attention to this. We can only get better when we get such feedback and improve accordingly.

“The work to rebuilding Nigeria is enormous, and in our eagerness to start off, we must never forget due process and diligence.”

Yesufu also extended an apology to others affected by the publication.

“For anyone that was also not contacted and consent gotten before publication, kindly accept my apologies for the mix-up,” she said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Atiku’s Son Gives Thumbs Up To Tinubu’s Economic Policies, Backs Another Term

Published

on

By

Abba Atiku Abubakar, son of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, has attributed his support for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s re-election bid to what he described as the administration’s innovative and business-friendly economic policies.

He said President Tinubu’s economic initiatives are more favourable to businesses than those of previous administrations, adding that the reforms have reshaped his political alignment ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Abba made the remarks during a solidarity visit to the leadership of the City Boy Movement (CBM) in Abuja on Monday evening, where he led members of the Haske Atiku Organisation, now rebranded as the Haske Tinubu Organisation.

He recalled that he formally defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) on January 15, collecting his membership card at Gwadabwa Ward in Yola North Local Government Area of Adamawa State, where he publicly pledged support for Tinubu’s second-term ambition.

According to him, his decision to back the president was driven by admiration for the economic policies introduced since 2023, which he believes are positioning the country for stronger private-sector growth and investment.

According to him, “This administration has introduced policies that have every Nigerian in mind. If anyone says this government is not doing well, I will tell them they are lying,” he said. “I believe that if given another term, the government will do even more because it is focused.”

He explained that his long-standing experience in business has given him a clear perspective on economic governance in Nigeria.

“Since the return of democratic rule in 1999, I have been in business, and I am still in business today. The economic policies of Mr. President are favourable—not just to businesses, but to Nigerians in general, who are already benefiting from these reforms,” he stated.

He also explained that his decision to join the APC and align with the City Boy Movement was motivated by his passion for the Tinubu-led administration and his desire to serve.

“My joining the APC and the City Boy Movement is based on my belief in this administration. I also intend to use this platform to serve the people of Adamawa at the National Assembly level. Mr. President has made youth inclusion in politics a reality,” Abubakar added.

The Director General of the City Boy Movement, Mr. Oluwatosin Shoga reaffirmed President Tinubu’s commitment to youth participation in governance and leadership.

He noted that one of CBM’s core strategic mandates is to ensure that young Nigerians are deliberately positioned for leadership roles while encouraging greater youth involvement in the political process.

Abba’s delegation was received by the Director General of CBM, Mr. Shoga, and the National Coordinator, Mr. Favour Abayomi.

Continue Reading

Politics

Oriyomi Hamzat Formally Joins 2027 Oyo Governorship Race Under Accord Party

Published

on

By

Popular Ibadan-based broadcaster and founder of Agidigbo 88.7 FM, Alhaji Oriyomi Hamzat has officially declared his intention to run for the 2027 Oyo State governorship under the Accord Party.

 

In a public declaration, Hamzat stated, “I am publicly declaring today that in 2027.

 

“I will not campaign for anyone or mobilise crowds for anyone.

 

“I will contest in the gubernatorial election under the Accord Party.”

 

The announcement signals Hamzat’s full commitment to his own political ambitions, stepping away from backing other candidates as he positions himself for the Oyo State governorship race.

Continue Reading

Trending