News
Wigwe: US To Press Criminal Charges Against Helicopter Operator, Pilot
The operators of the helicopter that claimed the life of former Group Chief Executive Officer of Access Holdings Plc, Herbert Wigwe, alongside his wife, son, and three others in February 2024, may soon face criminal charges in the United States, aviation industry operators and experts have confirmed.
The helicopter, an Airbus EC130B4 operated by Orbic Air, LLC, under Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135, crashed near Halloran Springs, California, on February 9, 2024.
On board were Wigwe, his wife, Doreen, their first son, Chizi, and former NGX Group Chairman, Abimbola Ogunbanjo, along with two pilots, all of whom died in the crash.
A final report by the US National Transportation Safety Board cited “pilot disorientation” and a violation of flight protocols, especially the decision to proceed under visual flight rules in instrument meteorological conditions, as key causes of the crash.
Additionally, a faulty radar altimeter, which had been flagged during a repositioning flight earlier that day, was noted as another potential contributor to the tragedy.
Aviation professionals in Nigeria now assert that the US government is likely to pursue charges of criminal negligence against Orbic Air before a judicial panel of inquiry.
The panel would review the case and determine the extent of liability and also the extent of punishment applicable to the helicopter company.
Speaking to The PUNCH, Capt Muhammed Badamasi, a retired pilot with the defunct Nigeria Airways, said the matter was already a legal one, noting the state as the plaintiff and the helicopter company as the defendant.
He said, “It’s already a legal matter. The panel of inquiry will determine whether the crash and the resultant deaths were due to a breach of the company’s safety protocols. If so, it becomes a judicial issue, and charges may follow.”
Badamasi emphasised that any legal process would be handled in the US, noting that agencies such as the Federal Aviation Administration, National Transportation Safety Board, and representatives from the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority and Nigeria Safety Investigation Bureau may be involved as interested parties.
Badamosi emphasised that as legal scrutiny intensifies, the case may become a watershed moment for regulatory enforcement in private charter operations, both in the US and internationally.
Echoing similar views, a retired pilot and current Managing Director of Aero Contractors, Capt Ado Sanusi, said the prosecution will be done by the state after the accident investigation body submits the root cause of the unfortunate incident.
He said, “Once the investigation report is out, the next step lies with the appropriate legal authorities. If negligence is established, it is within their jurisdiction to act accordingly. The role of the aviation industry ends with identifying the cause.”
Sanusi added that the appropriate agency of the state is expected to take up the matter, “but I know that their laws will be considered as appropriate.”
The NTSB’s report detailed how, hours before the fatal flight, a malfunction in the radar altimeter was observed during a transfer from a maintenance facility.
Despite the safety concern, the aircraft proceeded with the passenger flight later that day and ended the lives of six people.
Another industry expert, Chris Aligbe, noted that the matter will be prosecuted under American laws, adding that issues of negligence are no longer handled with levity in the aviation industry globally.
He said, “Before now, issues like this happened and the masterminds got away with it, but not anymore, things are changing. The root cause will be determined and prosecuted in accordance with the law of the land.”
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
-
News2 days agoTragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
-
News2 days agoOgun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
-
News1 day agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News2 days agoReserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
-
News2 days agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
Health22 hours agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News22 hours agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
