Connect with us

News

Kwankwaso’s Alleged Return To APC Triggers Internal Revolt In Kano

Published

on

The Kano State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) appears to be divided over the possible return of former Kano State Governor and 2023 NNPP presidential candidate, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, to the party.

In a press conference held at the APC headquarters in Kano on Friday, the State Chairman, Abdullahi Abbas, confirmed reports that Kwankwaso, who was recently expelled from the NNPP, is making moves to rejoin the APC. Abbas welcomed the development, describing it as a positive step.

“We have received reports that the leader of the NNPP, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, who was expelled from his party, is preparing to return to the APC. This is a welcome development—we are happy and pleased about it,” Abbas said.

However, the chairman made it clear that those who previously insulted party leaders and the government, including President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima, must first offer an apology before being considered for re-admittance.

“Anyone who knows they have insulted our leaders, such as President Tinubu and his vice, must go back and apologize to them. It’s not acceptable to accuse and attack them in the past, and now claim you want to come back under their leadership,” he warned.

Abbas emphasized that the APC remains open to new members and has instructed ward and local government executives to begin registering interested individuals.

He added that the party would provide a fair platform for all aspirants, stating, “Anyone who wishes to contest for any position is free to do so—once the people vote for them, so be it.”

He cautioned, however, that the APC would not serve as a refuge for individuals facing legal or ethical challenges.

“We are also aware that some individuals are seeking to join our party for personal reasons—either because they have failed politically at the national or state level, or because they are under investigation by the EFCC or ICPC.

They should know that our party is not a safe haven for thieves and criminals. We will not shield anyone. The law will take its course,” Abbas added.

Despite the chairman’s open arms, some senior party members strongly oppose Kwankwaso’s return.

Speaking to DAILY POST on Thursday, APC spokesman , Ahmed Aruwa flatly rejected the idea.

“We do not welcome him. After committing numerous wrongs against the people, he now seeks to return? We will not accept that,” Aruwa stated.

He pointed to the controversial demolitions carried out by the NNPP-led government in Kano as a key reason for the resistance.

“They demolished shops and destroyed people’s livelihoods out of spite. Now he wants to return to us? We’re not interested,” he said.

Aruwa dismissed the notion that Kwankwaso could strengthen the APC in the face of growing opposition unity.

“We won elections before without him, and Tinubu will win again without him. His return would only cause confusion and unrest in the party,” he argued.

“Even co-wives aren’t kept in the same house to avoid conflict. Kwankwaso should remain in the NNPP. Ganduje is in APC. Even if Abuja accepts him, we in Kano will not,” he declared.

On the other hand, NNPP Kano Chairman Dr. Hashimu Sulaiman Dungurawa told DAILY POST that their members are simply waiting for Kwankwaso’s instructions and will follow him wherever he goes.

“We are blind followers. We don’t recognize anyone but Kwankwaso. Wherever he goes, we’ll follow,” Dungurawa said.

He dismissed the defection rumors as mere speculation. “I only heard the talks on social media. If there’s any truth to it, Kwankwaso himself will speak when the time is right.”

Earlier this week, NNPP spokesperson Ladipo Johnson and party Board of Trustees Secretary Buba Galadima, both allies of Kwankwaso, denied reports that he is planning to defect to the APC.

The NNPP has been embroiled in a leadership crisis between Kwankwaso and party founder, Dr. Boniface Aniebonam, with both camps claiming control of the party.

As of now, Kwankwaso—known for his past criticism of President Tinubu and a political rival of APC National Chairman Abdullahi Ganduje—has yet to publicly respond to the swirling rumors about his political future.

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Reserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves have reached $48.5 billion, their highest level in nearly 13 years.

This milestone, confirmed by data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), surpasses previous multi-year peaks and represents the strongest balance since May 14, 2013, when reserves stood at approximately $48.51 billion.

However, the data showed that the foreign reserves increased steadily by 6.45 percent or $2.94 billion year-to-date, from $45.56 billion reported on January 1 to $48.5 billion.

Further checks showed that the FX reserves figure was $48.36 billion on Monday.

According to the CBN, FX reserves are assets held on reserve by a monetary authority in foreign currencies, which are used to back liabilities and influence monetary policy.

On December 22, 2025, the apex bank projected that the country’s external reserves would rise to $51.04 billion in 2026, saying the increase will be supported by FX reforms.

“Reforms in the foreign exchange market are expected to sustain exchange rate stability, while external reserves are projected to increase to US$51.04 billion,” CBN said.

On February 10, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of CBN, said the bank will do “whatever it takes” to safeguard the value of the naira, while strengthening the country’s external reserves.

Looking ahead to 2030, he said the CBN’s targets include achieving single-digit inflation and growing foreign exchange (FX) reserves driven by non-oil exports, foreign direct investment, and diaspora remittances.

 

Continue Reading

News

Ogun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims

Published

on

By

The Ogun State Police Command has launched an investigation into sexual assault allegations made by a TikToker known as Mirabel (@mirab351), who is currently receiving treatment in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

The case gained widespread attention after she posted emotional videos on Monday, February 16, detailing an attack she claimed occurred at her home the previous Sunday.

The command’s Public Relations Officer, Oluseyi Babaseyi, disclosed the development on Thursday while speaking on The Morning Brief.

Babaseyi confirmed that Mirabel voluntarily visited the Ibafo Police Division on Tuesday, February 17, to lodge a formal complaint and was subsequently admitted to the hospital for medical care due to her unstable condition.

“When the DPO in Ibafo met with her, she was taken to the hospital for medical analysis. She wasn’t as stable as necessary, but we ensured the investigation continued.

“As we speak, she is in the intensive care unit getting appropriate care. Her medical well-being is more important to us at this point. When she is stable, we can now continue investigations and get the necessary facts,” Babaseyi said.

According to Babaseyi, the incident reportedly occurred in Ogijo, a border community between Ogun and Lagos states.

The police have established that Mirabel was not arrested, but rather, she is being treated as a victim.

The command urges individuals with useful information to come forward and assist with the investigation.

“She was not arrested by the police. She reported a case, and we are investigating. Nothing like her arrest happened,” he said.

“If the allegation is established to be true, the perpetrator will be arrested and charged to court appropriately. Otherwise, the law also addresses giving false information,” the police stated.

The police said they will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion and take appropriate action.

“We advise people not to jump to conclusions based on emotions. We are investigating and will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion,” Babaseyi said.

Continue Reading

Trending