Connect with us

News

Drama As Senate Committee Grills AIG Over 3,907 Missing Assault Riffles

Published

on

Drama played out on Tuesday at the Senate Committee on Public Accounts as the Assistant Inspector General of Police, AIG Suleiman Abdul was interrogated over 3,907 missing assault rifles, many of which were AK-47.

The AIG, who represented the Inspector General of Police, listened with rapt attention when the representative of the Auditor General for the Federation read the 2019 Audit Query where it was disclosed that “as at January 2020, a total of 3,907 assault rifles were either missing or could not be accounted for by the Police.”

This is as the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, who appeared earlier, apologized to the Senate Committee on Public Accounts for not honoring previous invitations.

Egbetokun had after his apology to the Committee and oath taken, nominated Assistant Inspector General of Police in Charge of Public Accounts and Budget, AIG Suleiman Abdul, to answer to the eight queries issued against the Police by the office of Auditor-General.

While the Committee Chaired by its Deputy Chairman, Senator Peter Nwaebonyi representing Ebonyi North, vacated query one which borders on N1.136 billion contract splitting and stood down query two which borders on alleged non-execution of N925 million contract, it sustained query three which borders n allegedly missing 3,907 Assault Riffles, many of which were Ak 47.

According to him, “the total number of lost firearms as at December 2018 stood at 178,459 out of which 88,078 are AK-47 Riffles.

“However as at January, 2020 based on thorough Auditing carrried out, 3, 907 assault rifles and Pistols across different Police formations could not be accounted for.”

He broke down the missing firearms as 601 from 15 Training Institutions, 42 from 23 Police formations, 1,514 from 37 Police Command, 29 from Zone 1 to 12 and 1, 721 from Police Mobile Force (PMF) 1 to 68.

Irked by the report, members of the Committee bombarded the Police team with questions on why such queries have not been responded to, since issued.

In their responses, neither AIG Suleiman Abdul nor any of his lieutenants, could give the committee convincing reasons for the missing 3,907 assault rifles.

Apparently overwhelmed by barrage of questions fired at him, AIG Abdul sought for a closed door session which was however rejected by majority of the Committee members, including the Deputy Chairman who presided over the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole and Senator Joel Onawakpo-Thomas.

Specifically in rejecting AIG Abdul’s request, Senator Nwaebonyi said no closed door session would be allowed under him.

“This is a public accounts committee that has no room for closed door session. In united states of America, proceeedings of Public Accounts Committee are televised live.

“So whatever response the AIG wants to make on the missing assault rifles, should be done in the full glare of all, particularly the journalists”, he said.

Also rejecting the AIG request for a closed door session, Senator Oshiomhole in his remarks said: “The Police is known for arresting and parading thieves of rats and rabbits which is expected of them on the missing assault rifles.

“The AIG should let Nigerians know steps that had been taken by the Police on the missing assault rifles over the years, who and who were involved and level of recovery made”.

In his feeble response, the AIG was only able to account for 15 out of the 3,907 missing assault riffles, 14 of which according to him, were lost through 14 personnel that were killed in active service and one in 1998, which further infuriated members of the committee.

For soft landing, the committee later resolved that the AIG and his team should go and tidy up their response to the query as it will never be swept under the carpet.

It consequently directed them to appear before it on Monday next week by 12 noon and suspended consideration of the remaining five queries.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending