News
Diphtheria Crisis: NCDC Reports Over 41,000 Suspected Cases Across All States
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, NCDC, has said that the country continues to grapple with a diphtheria outbreak.
NCDC, via its official website, reported that a total of 41,336 suspected diphtheria cases had been recorded across 36 states and the FCT.
The cases were reported from 350 local government areas between Epidemiological Week 19, 2022, and Epidemiological Week 4, 2025.
According to NCDC’s latest data, 24,846 cases (60.1%) were confirmed, while 7,769 (18.8%) were discarded.
The classification of 3,546 cases (8.6%) is pending, while the status of 5,175 cases (12.5%) remains unknown.
The agency noted that the outbreak is concentrated in a few states, with Kano leading with 23,784 suspected cases, followed by Yobe (5,302), Katsina (3,708), Bauchi (3,066), Borno (2,902), Kaduna (777), and Jigawa (364).
These seven states account for 96.5 per cent of all suspected cases.
“Of the confirmed cases, the majority—15,845 (63.9%)—occurred among children aged one to 14 years, highlighting the disease’s severe impact on younger populations.
“Alarmingly, only 4,963 (20%) of the confirmed cases were fully vaccinated with a diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine, suggesting gaps in vaccination coverage,” the agency stated.
NCDC reported that the outbreak has resulted in 1,262 deaths, reflecting a case fatality rate, CFR, of 5.1 per cent among confirmed cases.
The highest number of confirmed cases was recorded in Kano (17,770), followed by Bauchi (2,334), Yobe (2,380), Katsina (1,088), Borno (1,036), Jigawa (53), Plateau (31), and Kaduna (44).
These states account for 99.4 per cent of all confirmed cases.
The agency further disclosed that eight suspected cases were recently recorded in two states across five local government areas.
Six of the cases (75%) were confirmed as clinically compatible with diphtheria.
No deaths were recorded in the latest cases, keeping the CFR at zero per cent for the period.
NCDC stressed the importance of vaccination in combating the disease.
“With the majority of cases occurring in children, strengthening immunisation efforts remains critical.
“Public health campaigns, improved surveillance, and rapid response initiatives are being deployed, particularly in the hardest-hit states,” it stated.
News
Tragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
The Ondo State Police Command has confirmed the assassination of Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of the Agamọ community.
According to command spokesperson DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the monarch was attacked on Wednesday at approximately 7:10 p.m.
Jimoh said the information was received by the division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu,
He said the information indicated that approximately six armed men stormed the residence of the traditional ruler, forcibly took him from his compound, and subsequently fled the scene.
“The victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds. He was confirmed dead at the scene.
“Upon receipt of the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), alongside tactical teams from the command, promptly mobilised officers in collaboration with local security outfits.
“Atuluse Security, local hunters, and Amotekun operatives also assisted to comb adjoining bushes and surrounding areas in a bid to apprehend the perpetrators. Efforts are ongoing to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects.
“Monitoring and surveillance activities have been intensified across the area to ensure the safety of residents and prevent further breakdown of law and order.
“The public are assured that no stone will be left unturned in bringing those responsible for the heinous act to justice,” he said.
According to him, members of the public with credible and actionable information are urged to report to the nearest police station or contact the command.
News
37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React
The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.
This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.
Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.
The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.
Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.
Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.
There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.
News
Dangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026
Aliko Dangote, Chairman of the Dangote Group, forecasts that the naira will appreciate to N1,100 per dollar within 2026.
He shared this outlook on Tuesday during the federal government’s unveiling of the National Industrial Policy 2025.
The naira has strengthened in recent weeks, appreciating to N1,335.95 per dollar at the official market and N1,380/$ at the black market on Tuesday.
Commenting on the development, the billionaire businessman said the country has the potential to generate large-scale consumption, industrial growth, and disposable incomes.
“I mean today if you look at it, your excellency, I believe with the policies that you have implemented in government, people now have started seeing the result and manufacturers are very very happy,” Dangote said.
“Today, the dollar is N1,340. Mr. Vice-President, I can assure you with what I know, blocking all this importation and co, naira this year will be as low as N1,100 if we are lucky.
“The only thing is for maybe the government to stop the naira from getting stronger so that they will keep collecting more naira.
“But it’s a catch-22 situation where, now, if the naira gets stronger it means that everything will go down. Everything will go down because we are an import-based country which we shouldn’t be.
“What you should be is to manufacture all the things that we need.”
On February 12, Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo, expressed optimism that the naira will strengthen meaningfully and will trade below N1,000/$1 before year-end as domestic refining is fully underway.
-
News2 days agoDSS Witness Details How ISWAP Unit Planned And Executed Owo Church Massacre
-
News2 days agoRamadan 2026: Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon, Holy Month Begins Wednesday
-
News1 day agoDefend Our Sovereignty: Falana, Ibrahim, Bugaje Reject US Military Presence
-
News1 day agoDangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026
-
News23 hours ago37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React
-
News4 hours agoTragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
