News
Arimoro Royal Family Faults Choice Of Owa Obokun-Elect
The Arimoro Royal Family in Ijeshaland, Osun State, has faulted the process that led to the selection of the Owa Obokun-elect, Prince Adesuyi Hasstrup, on Friday December 27, describing it as “a charade, breach of the established Ijesha tradition and gross abuse of judicial process.”
Haastrup, who hails from Ajimoko Royal Family, was elected by the kingmakers at a meeting held at the premises of Ilesa West Local Government Secretariat, Ilesa on Friday.
His selection was subsequently approved by the state governor, Ademola Adeleke.
But, the Arimoro Royal Family in a statement signed by it’s Global Co-ordinator, Prince Adegoke Arimoro, on Saturday, rejected the selection process while threatening legal action.
The statement read, “Despite the Order of Ilesha High Court, that restrained the Ijesha Kingmakers, Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke and any other group from selection of Owa Obokun, pending the determination of a substantive suit, instituted by the Ofokutu Royal lineage, against Haastrup, a group of Kingmakers was said to have held a closed-door meeting at the Local Government Secretariat, Ilesha, on Friday, where only five Kingmakers out of 13 voted to select a new Owa Obokun with a combined team of fully armed policemen, soldiers and Amotekuns-the local security agents.”
It described “As ignoble and sacrilegious, the action of Ijesha kingmakers, and the Osun State government in the selection of the new Owa, calling on all Ijesha indigenes home and abroad to stand against the imposition of the new Owa and defend the dignity, respect, and integrity of their heritage.
“The family said the process that led to the shocking announcement of the Owa Obokun was a gross violation of due process as a compromised candidate had been forced on the people of Ijesha land by a some kingmakers and therefore the family had rejected the purported Owa Obokun and shall deploy lawful means to ensure that the selection is nullified.
“Impunity is on full display. The Osun State government and her agents have finally thrown the ljesa Royal tradition to the dogs. “When did the selection of Owa Obokun become a matter of casting vote at the Local Government Secretariat ? This is a rape of ljesa Royal tradition of installing a new Owa for the first time in history. Where is the gazette that supports this impunity ? Some Kingmakers , the state government officials, and others who got involved in the desecration of our traditions will soon realize that it is a costly error.
“What is clear is that the last is yet to be heard on this subject. Certainly, it is one person that will wear the crown. But not through this ignoble route as the consequences will bring a big lesson.”
Arimoro listed some what he described as “abuses in the selection process which include a N10m development levy on the aspirants, which Bilaro family sought clarification and reduction and was never responded to, non-adherence to the involvement of the Ifa Oracle, 5 out of 13 Afobajes decided the fate of the new Owa, no respect for the Dynasty of the moment and the subsisting court order on the selection of the new Owa Obokun
“The speedy approval of Clement Haastrup as the new Owa Obokun-elect by Governor Ademola Adeleke was a confirmation of the unholy alliance between some Ijesha kingmakers and the state government.
“A few hours before the announcement Haaatrup as the Owa Obokun elect, the Arimoro family candidate for the Owa Obokun stool, Prince Michael Adewale (KMA). Arimoro, had addressed a Press Conference in Ilesa where he declared that : ” We find ourselves at a crossroads; one path leads us toward compliance with the judiciary and our traditional values, while the other tempts us into silence and complicity. We must choose wisely.
“I implore all stakeholders to reflect deeply on the implications of their actions and to remember that true leadership is rooted in respect for tradition and the voices of the people.
“We must rally around our judicial system as our last bastion of hope. It is our duty to advocate for a transparent and lawful process, one that honors our customs and allows for the rightful selection of our next Owa Obokun through the revered channels of Ifa.
“Installing Owa from a particular lineage three times back to back in a ruling house sends the others into oblivion. We must unite to protect our heritage, uphold the sanctity of Ifa, and ensure that justice prevails. Together, we can foster a climate of respect, integrity, and harmony within our community.”
The PUNCH had earlier reported that the Ofokutu Royal Family of Bilaro Ruling House in Ilesa, Osun State, has rejected the selection of ex-deputy governor of the state, Loja Adesuyi Haastrup, as the new Owa Obokun of Ijesaland.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health2 days agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News20 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News16 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment17 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
