Connect with us

News

Hunted And Executed: Suspended Sanwo-Olu Aide’s Comments Stir Probe Call

Published

on

Controversy has continued to swirl around a statement made by Mr Wale Ajetunmobi, the suspended Senior Special Assistant on Print Media, to Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Ajetunmobi had claimed in a now-deleted post on Sunday that some arsonists who burnt down Television Continental during the #EndSARS protests in the state had been “hunted and executed.”

Following the comment, many Nigerians on social media interpreted the comment as an admission of state involvement in suspected extrajudicial killings during the 2020 protests against police brutality and the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

The protests were followed by intense debates over the true number of casualties, with the Lagos State Government consistently maintaining that no extrajudicial killings took place.

In the tweet, Ajetunmobi claimed that one of the allegedly “executed” individuals was a young boy, whose name was not disclosed, and who worked as a cooking gas trader in the Ketu area of Lagos.

The deleted tweet read, “The full story of people who burnt down TVC in 2020 will be told one day, with gory clips and images. One thing to note: the majority of them have been hunted down and executed.

“One of them, a young boy trading in cooking gas around Ketu, was found with an AK-47 at the site. Even his neighbours were shocked. But the full gist is better saved for later.”

Ajetunmobi later refuted claims of extrajudicial killings, stating that the use of the term “execution” in his comment was an unintended “error.”

The tweet read, “This excerpt was quoted out of context, and there were a series of comments made under the same post that better explained what was intended. As I further explained in the said tweet, no extra-judicial killing was insinuated. The word ‘executed’ was erroneously used and not intended in the context of that casual conversation.

“What was written in the entire conversation reflected personal opinion and not the position of any authority or the entity in which I work. The post and other comments had been taken down, even before this publication.”

However, Ajetunmobi’s clarification appeared insufficient to appease his principal, the state governor.

A statement issued by Gboyega Akosile, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday, announced Ajetunmobi’s suspension.

According to the statement, Ajetunmobi’s suspension “comes on the heels of the misrepresentation of facts on his personal X account on a past incident.”

Akosile noted that the Sanwo-Olu administration “frowns at any form of extrajudicial punishment and will not be a part of any such action. That is not who we are. That is not our way.”

However, while many Nigerians on X.com praised the governor for suspending the aide, others called for a deeper investigation into the revelations made in the comment.

Leading the call for a probe was a human rights activist and lawyer, Mr Inibehe Effiong, who urged security agencies to summon Ajetunmobi for questioning.

He partly wrote, “Suspending Wale Ajetunmobi as your aide does not address the alarming confession of extrajudicial killings made by him.”

This matter has to be investigated thoroughly by law enforcement agencies.

“He should be taken into custody immediately.”

Echoing similar sentiments, @UnckleAyo wrote, “That isn’t misrepresentation. He admitted to being in the know of extrajudicial killings. In a sane system, his head and his principal’s should roll, but given the antecedent of his principal, who is surprised?”

@Waxodigitals said, “The claim made by Mr. Wale Ajetunmobi, suggesting that arsonists were “hunted and executed,” is deeply troubling and underscores the need for accountability and transparency in governance.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s decision to suspend Ajetunmobi over a “misrepresentation of facts” is a step in the right direction, but it raises critical questions.

“Was the statement made by Ajetunmobi factual or completely fabricated? If true, it points to potential extrajudicial killings that warrant immediate investigation.

“What steps will the Lagos State Government take to restore public trust and address lingering concerns about its handling of the #EndSARS fallout? I call on relevant authorities, including @PoliceNG, @NhrcNigeria, and civil society organisations to thoroughly investigate these claims.”

@DailyJusticeAct stated, “Who knows, what else does that guy know? His confession is a huge disclosure. There is a need for a thorough investigation. A lot of innocent souls must have been lost via these internal government bandits.”

“For an aide to have said what he said, it is either that he knows what he is saying (privy to what has happened behind the scenes as a close person or aide to a senior government official) or he is spreading falsehood. Either way, he should be invited for questioning,” @Jidekuye added.

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

Trending