Connect with us

News

Outrage Over Newly Acquired N150bn Presidential Jet Amid Ravaging Hardship

Published

on

There is widespread anger following the unveiling of the new Airbus A330 presidential jet purchased by President Bola Tinubu’s government.

Recall that the Special Adviser to President Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga had on Monday night, released the pictures of the presidential jet via his verified X handle.

According to him, the new jet replaces the 19-year-old Boeing B737-700 (BBJ) which was acquired by former President Olusegun Obasanjo during his tenure.

Tinubu’s aide claimed that the new jet saved Nigeria huge maintenance and fuel costs, running into millions of dollars annually.

Countering the claim that the jet was acquired without approval by the National Assembly, Onanuga said “the Nigerian Senate’s security and intelligence committee recommended replacing the ageing aircraft in the presidential fleet to reduce downtime and operational expenses”.

Our correspondent, however, reports that the claim does not align with earlier reports from the Nigerian Senate.

DAILY POST recalls that the Senate President Godswill Akpabio on June 27, declared that the upper chamber did not receive any request for the purchase of new aircraft for the president.

Nigerians had perceived the move by the presidency to get a new jet, but the Senate President vehemently debunked the report, saying there was nothing like that in their table.

Akpabio, who spoke after a closed-door meeting, said, “I have never had that correspondence to approve the purchase of a plane. We care about the President, we care about Nigerians.

“We will approve things that will benefit the people. There is nothing before us”.

Similarly the Senate leader, Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele (APC, Ekiti Central) said, “There is no such request, if the request comes, not only the Senate will debate it, we are 469 here. So this is the handiwork of the fifth columnist and propagandists.”

DAILY POST reports that there was no parliamentary debate prior to the arrival of the exotic presidential jet.

Although the presidency deliberately omitted the price of the jet, it was gathered that the Nigerian government spent over $100 million (N159 billion) to acquire the Airbus A330.

This is coming amid the ravaging economic downturn that has relatively made feeding difficult for millions of citizens.

Recall that Nigerians had earlier in the month staged a 10-day nationwide protest over hunger.

The untoward hardship was birthed by some unfavorable policies of the President Tinubu-led administration, particularly the removal of fuel subsidy which was announced on May 29, 2023.

Concerned citizens who reacted to the procurement of the new jet, accused the government of neglecting the plight of the citizens.

No argument can justify this latest profligacy – Ezekwesili

Former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili on Wednesday said President Bola Tinubu has no argument to justify the purchase of the Airbus A330

Ezekwesili said no argument from Tinubu will persuade Nigerians into justifying what she termed “latest profligacy.”

Posting on X, Ezekwesili wrote: “No argument justifies the purchase of a 14 year old Airbus plane by the @NGRPresident @officialABAT for his indulgence.

“No argument that can persuade reasonable people justifies this latest profligacy.

“Continue with your obscene indulgence until the Day your hungry citizens can no longer bear to sleep on their empty stomachs.

Tinubu acting like Sani Abacha pro max – Adeyanju

Activist lawyer, Deji Adeyanju on Wednesday while reacting to the purchase of the new Presidential jet, an Escalade bulletproof vehicle, and a Yacht accused President Tinubu of acting like former Military Head of State, Sani Abacha pro max within one year of assuming power.

Posting on his Facebook page, Adeyanju wrote: “Critics don’t make good leaders. If in doubt, just look at Tinubu. The guy is acting like a Sani Abacha pro max just under one year. A hypocrite that can’t take what he gives.

“Just got back to Abuja from Lagos and saw Tinubu’s outrageously huge presidential jet.”

Tinubu bought private jet, bulletproof car in one year but Nigerians suffering – Sowore

A former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore, on his part, knocked Tinubu’s government for procuring a Presidential jet and a bullet proof vehicle within one year in office despite the failure to tackle the economic crisis bedeviling Nigerians.

Sowore said Nigerian leaders were only concerned about meeting their personal desires and not what the citizens were going through.

The activist cum politician, who was one of the key organizers of the just concluded EndBadGovernance protests, disclosed this in a series of posts on his X page.

According to Sowore: “Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu said one year isn’t enough for Nigerians to enjoy a better country but look at what he bought for himself in just one year.

“Yacht, jet, Bulletproof Escalade, mansion for VP #RevolutionNow.

“Day of fun at the expense of suffering Nigerians, @officialABAT jumbo luxury Presidential Jet arrives Nice, France. #France #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria #FearlessInOctober #RevolutionNow

“The only thing that makes these thieving rulers in Nigeria happy is when they fulfil their personal desires; they don’t care about the people.

“It is the time for the people to bond and take them head-on. #FearlessInOctober #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria 2.0.”

They don’t care about us – LP chieftain, Okon Fredrick

Similarly, a chieftain of the Labour Party, Mr Okon Fredrick said the move by the government to purchase an exotic jet amid the hardship in the country showed that the government officials did not care about the citizens.

In a chat with DAILY POST, Okon said, “leadership is by example. Tinubu had consistently appealed to Nigerians to be patient with his government, yet he is not patient enough to continue using the old jet.

“Like the singer Micheal Jackson once said, ‘they don’t really care about us’, we are on our own. Nothing about us matters to them

“This is obviously the wrong time to be buying a presidential jet with such a huge amount of money. We just finished a round of protest trying to tell the government that we are dying of hunger.

“Just a few days after the protest was halted, the executive is flying a new jet of over N100 billion.

“The citizens are watching and one day, like Charly Boy usually says, their mumu go do.”

 

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending