Connect with us

News

Seized Presidential Jets: Policemen Detained, Brutalised Our Top Officers – Chinese Firm Alleges

Published

on

Zhongshan Fucheng Industrial Investment Company Limited, the Chinese firm involved in a high-profile contract dispute with the Ogun State Government, has accused Nigerian authorities of unlawfully detaining and brutalising its top officials.

The firm claims that these incidents played a significant role in its decision to pursue the seizure of Nigerian assets overseas.

The controversy took a new turn on Thursday when news broke that a French court had ordered the seizure of three Nigerian presidential jets.

The jets, including a Dassault Falcon 7X and a Boeing 737, were part of Nigeria’s presidential air fleet, with one additional aircraft, an Airbus 330, purchased by Nigeria but not yet delivered.

The aircraft were seized following ex parte orders issued by the Judicial Court of Paris on March 7 and August 12, 2024.

Zhongshan initiated legal action after the Ogun State Government terminated its export processing zone management contract with the company.

An arbitral tribunal later awarded Zhongshan approximately $74.5 million in compensation, but the state government failed to comply with the ruling.

In response, Zhongshan sought enforcement through international legal channels, leading to the French court’s order to seize Nigeria’s assets.

In its statement of claim to the French court, Zhongshan detailed the alleged mistreatment of its management team in Nigeria.

The company claimed that the Ogun State Government, through the Nigerian police, assaulted, threatened, and unlawfully detained its personnel, including the Chief Financial Officer of Zhongfu Nigeria Ltd., a subsidiary of Zhongshan.

The company stated that these actions contributed to its decision to pursue international litigation.

Zhongshan also alleged that it suffered significant financial losses, estimated at $1.078 billion, due to the termination of the contract.

According to the company, the harsh treatment of its officials prevented it from engaging in meaningful settlement discussions with the Ogun State Government.

The company stated, “The draconian actions of the Nigerian authorities included the Secretary to the Ogun State Government (Taiwo Adeoluwa) directly threatening Zhongfu Nigeria’s Chief Executive Officer, Dr Jianxin Han, to leave peacefully when there is an opportunity to do so, and avoid forceful removal, complications, and possible prosecution.

“As if this treatment were not appalling enough, the Nigerian authorities followed through on their threats of physical harm to the claimant’s management team in Nigeria. The police arrested the Chief Financial Officer of Zhongfu Nigeria, Mr Wenxiao Zhao, detained him without basis or explanation in terrible conditions, and physically beat him on two occasions before releasing him—without any charge—after a week in two jails.”

Recounting his ordeal in police custody, Zhao said, “One police officer in uniform came over to me and slapped me twice on the face. Then the police officers who brought me there took me to a room where they asked me to sign a piece of paper.

“They did not say or explain what this paper was or what it said. I refused to sign the piece of paper. The police officers then took my flip-flops and placed me in a courtyard with a number of cells surrounding it. It was dark and cold, and I was standing at the gate to one of the cells.

“Another prisoner came out of that cell and asked why I was taken. I did not speak. There were also some other people who had been brought to the courtyard, and the prisoner told us to stand side by side and asked whether we had money and why we were there. If someone had no money, he would slap them.

“Then the prisoner took me aside and asked me to speak. He said that if I did not speak, he would beat me with a club. Later, a second prisoner took me aside and told me not to be afraid. However, the first prisoner came back and threatened me with a club and asked me to speak, which I did not do.

“On what I think was the third day in the Abuja police station, a lot of people were brought into the office. The police officers moved me to another office. The police officer then approached me asking what happened. I did not respond, and he hit me twice, first on the neck and the second time on the head with a fist. It was painful, and I felt numb.

“Fearing for their safety, Zhongfu Nigeria’s management team was forced to leave Nigeria. Zhongfu Nigeria tried to take preventive legal steps in the Nigerian courts to preserve their rights, but the Ogun State Government, NEPZA, and the police orchestrated the complete evisceration of the claimant’s investment in Nigeria.”

The Special Adviser to the Ogun State Governor on Media and Strategy, Kayode Akinmade, while speaking with Punch, said the administration of Governor Dapo Abiodun knew nothing about the claims of the Chinese firm and could not respond to them.

Akinmade said, “The incident happened over three years before the present administration came on board. I can’t speak on something we know nothing about. We don’t know what happened at that time. But we will ensure our people are not shortchanged or defrauded through fraudulent judgment.”

The Ogun State Police Public Relations Office, Omolola Odutola, said the police were not involved in the matter.

She said, “It is not a police issue; we are not involved. It doesn’t have anything to do with us.”

Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending