Connect with us

News

Ibadan: 20 Held As Yoruba Nation Agitators Invade Oyo Secretariat

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command is currently interrogating 20 suspects who were arrested in the aftermath of yesterday’s invasion of the Oyo State Government Secretariat Ibadan by armed men who called themselves Oodua Nation supporters.

Recovered from the suspects, according to the spokesperson for the command, Adewale Osifeso, a Superintendent of Police (SP), were three Pump Action guns, 291 life cartridges, two expended cartridges, 67 cutlasses and five bulletproof vests.

Other items include six pairs of boots, 10 megaphones (public address system), three Oodua beret caps, seven belts, 11 Oodua Nation Army camouflage uniforms, one unregistered Nissan Urban Caravan Bus and three TVS Motorcycles.

The police spokesman said the agitators, driven by a separatist agenda, made an attempt to forcefully take over the Oyo State Government Secretariat but their move was thwarted by officers from the Command in concert with personnel of sister security agencies.

He gave the name of the suspected hoodlums to be members of the “Yoruba Nation Agitation Group.”

The police labeled the action of the invaders, who were dressed in military camouflage, as a clear case of treasonable felony and terrorism.

However, prominent Yoruba nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo alias Igboho, and leader of the Yoruba Self Determination group, Prof. Banji Akintoye, distanced themselves from the actions of the invaders and their group.

They said they were neither aware nor backed the individuals behind the action.

Ibadan was momentarily gripped by tension as news of the invasion spread.

The state government however said the situation had been brought under control and asked residents to go about their normal activities.

The Police Command said the suspects would face the consequences of their action as provided by the law.

It said: “Today, Saturday 13/04/2024 at about 0915hrs the valiant and eagle eyed operatives of the Oyo State Police Command in concert with some members of its sister agencies, successfully thwarted an attempt by hoodlums suspected to be members of the ‘Yoruba Nation Agitation Group’ driven by a separatist agenda in an attempt to forcefully take over the Oyo State Government Secretariat, Agodi-Ibadan.

“The suspects, who were in military camouflages, came heavily armed in an unregistered silver-coloured Nissan Urban Caravan bus containing cutlasses, pump action rifles, cartridges, assorted charms and an O’dua Nation agitation flag.

“Thankfully, they were overpowered and completely suppressed by officers and men of the Command in concert with sister security agencies who acted in swift response to intelligence gathered in accordance with Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to the situation.

“In all, (20) twenty suspects have been arrested in possession of; (3) Three Pump Action Guns, (291)Two Hundred and Ninety-One life Cartridges, (2) Two Expended Cartridges, (67) Sixty-Seven Cutlasses, (5) Five Bullet Proof Vest, (6) Six Pair of Boots, (10) Ten Megaphone (Public Address System),(3) Three Oodua Styles Beret Caps, (7) Seven Belts, (11) Eleven Oodua Nation Army Camouflage Uniforms, (1) One Unregistered Nissan Urban Caravan Bus and (3) Three TVS Motor Motorcycles.

“While declaring this act as criminal, unpatriotic and a clear case of treasonable felony & terrorism which would be met with adequate sanctions under the laws of the land, the Command assures the good citizens of Oyo State that it remains unwavering in the protection of their lives and property.

“Sequel to the above, the Commissioner of Police has detailed a highly powered investigation team led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State Criminal Investigation Department to demystify circumstances surrounding the incident and as well expand the network of arrests through painstaking intelligence driven investigation.

“The Oyo State Police Command enjoins residents to be generous with information and cooperate with the Command in a bid to rid the State of Criminal elements whose intent is to propagate their separatist agenda.

“More updates would be provided accordingly. If you see something, say something and the Police will immediately do something.

“In cases of emergency, the Command can always be reached through these emergency control room numbers: 615 (Toll free) (Oyo State Security Response Center.), and Oyo State Police Command Emergency line 08081768614”

The Nigerian Army, in a separate statement on X (formerly Twitter), said: “This is to notify the general public that today Saturday 13 April 2024, sequel to the report of an attack on the State Secretariat Agodi, Ibadan, Oyo State, troops promptly responded to the incident and had contact with adherents of the Yoruba Nation dressed in foreign military camouflage with berets and armed with dangerous weapons in buses and motorbikes.

“Upon encountering own troops, the Yoruba nation adherents engaged the troops in a shootout. Troops, utilising superior firepower, successfully subdued the attackers, who subsequently retreated in disarray.

“As a result of this engagement, nine members of the irredentist group were apprehended while one Semi Automatic Pump Action rifle and ammunition were recovered.

“Currently, troops are on the track of the fleeing adherents, and the situation is under control.

“We assure members of the public that all necessary measures are being taken to ensure the safety and security of the general area.

“We urge the public to remain calm and vigilant, and to report any suspicious activity to the appropriate security agencies.

“The safety and security of the citizenry remain a priority, as we will continue to work tirelessly to maintain peace and order in the region.”

It was gathered that the gunmen drove to the secretariat in a grey Toyota Hiace bus and on two motorcycles, which have now been seized and taken to the State Police Headquarters.

About 10 of the invaders blocked the Secretariat-Total Garden Road to enable other members of the group force their way into the secretariat complex.

Those ones headed straight to the State House of Assembly premises located within the secretariat where they removed the Nigerian national flag and replaced it with their O’odua Nation flag.

However, operatives of the Amotekun Corps, who were stationed nearby as part of regular security measures by government, confronted the invaders who responded with gunshots.

The Amotekun operatives returned fire and were soon joined by more personnel from the army, police, Department of State Services (DSS) and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

Within minutes, the hoodlums were overpowered and arrested.

They had charms on their necks and round their waists. Some of them took to their heels once they sensed danger.

The security men were able to arrest some of the gunmen while others took to their heels and were pursued into the nearby bushes and forest.

The Special Adviser to Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State on Security, Mr Fatai Owoseni, said the situation had been brought under control.

Owoseni described the gunmen as miscreants.

”There is no need to panic. Everything is under control,” he said.

Igboho, Akintoye disown agitators

Contacted yesterday for their reactions to the invasion, Igboho, who recently returned to Nigeria following his arrest and trial in Benin Republic for illegal migration, dubious connivance with immigration officers and an attempt to cause civil unrest, and Akintoye said they had no business whatsoever with the agitators.

Akintoye specifically fingered a woman (name withheld) said to be from a prominent family in Lagos as the main backer of the hoodlums.

He said the invaders, by their conduct, were not fighting for Yoruba interest but against the people.

He said information available to him suggested that the group had appointed an “interim government for the Yoruba Nation” and had chosen to install same by hosting their flag and take over the government of the region from the Oyo State secretariat.

Prof Akintoye said: “I am not connected, I have no contact and I do not know anything about the woman and her group. I don’t know what they are doing.

“I learnt they are engaged in some sort of insanity in Ibadan. It has nothing to do with me or people like Chief Sunday Igboho who are working with me.

“We are the authentic Yoruba Nation Movement. We are not connected or working with anyone to oppress the Yoruba in Nigeria.

“We are the people fighting for Yoruba nation freedom and we will win the war peacefully and in an orderly manner.

“They are not struggling for the Yoruba nation; they are struggling against the Yoruba nation. I was not aware of the situation in Ibadan until I was informed by Chief Sunday Igboho this morning.

“I am not part of it. They are not from us. It is a lunatic fringe. We in this struggle won’t act in such a manner.”

Igboho, on his part, said: “I know nothing about it. I am not even aware of those behind it. If I am going to do anything or any struggle for Yoruba Nation, you know we will inform people ahead.

“We will announce our plans and all our leaders and other stakeholders will also be involved and we will collaborate to do so.

“So, anything they are doing, whether attacking the government or military barrack or police station, I know nothing about it and I am not part of it.”

SOURCE

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending