News
Red Line Rail: Lagos Assembly Praise Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, Obasa, Others
– House believes project will boost Lagos economy
– transmits commendation letters to Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, Fashola, Ambode
– says monitoring of train operations necessary
The Lagos State House of Assembly on Tuesday praised Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu for the successful completion of the Red Line rail project of the state.
The House also commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for establishing the foundation in Lagos upon which successive administrations have built while appreciating Speaker Mudashiru Obasa for playing positive roles by ensuring legislative approvals in support of the blue and red line projects.
The first phase of the 37-kilometre red line rail, constructed by the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA), was commissioned on February 29 with seven stations between Agbado, a boundary town in Ogun State, and Oyingbo in Lagos Central.
Dr. Obasa, while addressing his colleagues on Tuesday, commended past governors for sustaining Tinubu’s vision for Lagos, describing the red line rail project as a significant step in the effort of the government to improve living and boost the economy of the state.
“It was very significant, historic and memorable. It is a plus for the government and people of Lagos and it is necessary that we commend the man in charge and his team who have put so much into this to make it realistic.
“It is not just about the project, but its economic importance to the state, especially being the second one to be commissioned. The line will eliminate traffic issues and associated challenges.
“It is also necessary to commend Mr. President, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, who was on hand to commission the project and for laying the foundation by establishing LAMATA years ago when he was governor of Lagos. We are getting there,” he said.
The Speaker, while directing the Clerk of the House, Barr. Olalekan Onafeko, to transmit letters of commendation to the President, Sanwo-Olu, former Governors Babatunde Fashola and Akinwunmi Ambode for sustaining Tinubu’s vision for Lagos, added that the House will continue to monitor the operations of the trains.
In his contribution, the chairman of the committee on transportation, Hon. Adewale Temitope, described the project as amazing, but noted: “this wouldn’t have been successful if this House, under your leadership, did not pass the budget or approve appropriation for the project.
“Mr. Speaker, you have always mentioned that there is no need for us to have more vehicles on the road and that we must look in the direction of mass transit and intermodal transport systems.”
He noted that Dr. Obasa had been steadfast in his belief that the blue and red lines would make positive impacts in the lives of the people of the state and as a result, constantly convinced the lawmakers to approve money for the projects.
On his part, the Deputy Chief Whip of the House, Hon. David Setonji, said the progress enjoyed in the state is the result of a stable political environment. He commended the governor for his steadfastness while appreciating the Speaker for doing everything to make sure that Lagosians enjoy the benefits of democracy.
While noting the role played by the Assembly in the completion of the project, Hon. Gbolahan Yishawu commended the Speaker and some committees of the House for approving the required funds.
Hon. Sa’ad Olumoh, while applauding the Speaker for his doggedness to make Lagos habitable, added: “Now, Lagosians can really plan their movements just like it happens in most western countries.”
He also urged for the provision of parks where car owners can keep their vehicles when they plan to take the trains.
Hon. Suraju Olatunji appreciated the Speaker for being among the lawmakers who passed the law that created LAMATA many years ago while his colleague, Nureni Akinsanya, urged the governor not to relent on the proposed yellow line rail project.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News1 hour agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
