News
Oba Ghandi Destined To Be Soun Of Ogbomoso Land – Pastor Adeboye
The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, on Sunday, said he knew long ago that the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Ghandi Olaoye, was destined to be a king.
Olaoye was an RCCG pastor, in charge of the church’s branch, Jesus House in Washington DC, when he was selected as the Soun of Ogbomoso after the ancient stool became vacant following the death of Oba Jimoh Oyewumi, Ajagungbade III.
Olaoye was installed as the 21st Soun of Ogbomoso in Oyo State in September and he is scheduled to be presented with the staff of office on Tuesday, December 19 by Governor, Seyi Makinde.
On Sunday, an interdenominational thanksgiving service for the new Soun was held at Beulah Baptist Conference, Ogbomoso.
In attendance was the RCCG General Overseer, Adeboye.
In his remarks, Adeboye said he had always known that Olaoye was born to be a king, adding that God had a hand in his ascension to the ancient throne.
The emergence of Olaoye, a pastor, as the Soun had raised an eyebrow in the public space, with many wondering how he would maneuver through the African traditional rites involved in the coronation of a Yoruba monarch.
Addressing the issue on Sunday, Adeboye said Olaoye’s emergence as Soun had God’s backing and he could not stop it.
The GO said, “I knew Olaoye was born to be king. When he (Olaoye) came to me to inform me about the development I told him to go and pray. He came back and said he had not heard anything. I told him to go back and pray again, and after a while, he came back and told me, ‘God has spoken. I have heard him loud and clear that I should go ahead’. It was then that I told him to go ahead because it had been destined. I knew that long ago but I wanted God to speak to him directly.
“To my critics, if I said no and God said yes, whose word is the final? God, of course. So, I cannot stop him because Pastor Olaoye was destined to be a king even before he was born and thank God it is coming to fruition.”
Adeboye, who took his scripture from the book of Act 15:18, advised the monarch to embrace the people and promote peace and unity among his subjects.
He subsequently anointed the king and his wife, praying for a peaceful and prosperous reign as Soun.
Responding, Oba Olaoye said, “I give the Lord all the glory for the day I met Pastor Adeboye. He has been a father to me. He is a spiritual father to me. He was a role model. I have travelled with him to every part of the world. I watched him closely and I saw a genuine man of God. So, he has been a role model to me. You can imagine how excited I am today (Sunday) that the person who anointed and laid hands on me to become a pastor is the same person who lays hands on me as a King today.
“This is a new season. I believe it’s a new dawn for Ogbomoso, where there will be an opportunity, this land shall be a land where God Almighty will reign. I want everybody in this land to continue to pray for me that the Lord should lead me aright. I will rule with equity, justice and fairness. I will not be the king to Christians alone, I will be a king to the Muslims, to the traditionalists and to every indigene of this land and make Ogbomosoland a place where sons and daughters can be proud. I pray for the grace and mercy to rule in the right way and do justice to everyone. I believe God will make this city a great city, the envy of many towns not only in this state not even in Nigeria but in the world at large.
“To the people of Ogbomosoland, I want to thank you all for the love you have been showing to me since I became the Soun of Ogbomosoland. Your love has been humbling to me and I will use all the networks that God has given me to help this city grow better.”
Special prayers were also offered by the President of Nigerian Baptist Convention, Rev Israel Akanji; Bishop Titus Olayinka; Archbishop Ayo Ladigbolu; Pastor J.S. Adegoke; Rev. Solomon Ademola Isola; former President of the seminary, Professor Nihinlola Emiola; Rev Stephen Ayankeye; Rev Bishop Moradeyo Olayinka; Bishop of Anglican Church, Rev Johnson Adeniji, Prophet Akintola, Baba Awoye among others.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
