Connect with us

News

Missing Intestine: Adegboruwa Seeks Independent Experts To Conduct Autopsy

Published

on

Activist lawyer, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN) on Friday, October 20, told a Lagos Coroner that an independent body of experts should be allowed to conduct the autopsy on the body of Adebola Akin-Bright.

The late Adebola Akin-Bright was a 12-year-old boy whose small intestine went missing following surgery at LASUTH, Ikeja recently.

He said experts from independent bodies such as the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) should be allowed to examine the corpse of the deceased.

He said this has become necessary in order to avoid the likelihood of bias and conflict of interests since the deceased’s death at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja.

Adegboruwa made the request as proceedings commenced yesterday into the circumstances surrounding the death of Master Akin-Bright, the boy with the missing intestine who died at LASUTH.

The Coroner Court is presided over by the District Coroner, Magistrate Mrs Bola Folarin-Williams, sitting at Magistrate Court 4, Botanical Gardens, Ebute-Metta.

During proceedings, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa led Mr Aramide Adeogun and Mr Ezekiel Nnadi, for the father of the deceased, Olumuyiwa Akin-Bright, the complainant.

Abiodun Kolawole represented the African Women Lawyers Association while Mr O.A. Akinde, state counsel from the Ministry of Justice represented the Lagos State Government, as an interested party.

When the case was called, Akinde informed the court that necessary tests and examinations had been conducted on the corpse whereby there was a post-mortem report.

He said the office of the Attorney General is aware of letters from solicitors to the father of the deceased seeking to preserve the corpse while the mother seeks the release of the corpse to her for burial.

He said the state is not against any of the requests, as the court may decide.

Adegboruwa informed the Coroner that the complainant would love to call the medical director of Hobitox Medical Centre where the deceased was first admitted and treated, and the doctors that treated the deceased in LASUTH including all policemen involved in the investigation.

He said this was necessary in order to have a proper understanding of what actually happened to the deceased.

At this point, the Coroner informed that she got information that the autopsy report was ready and would soon get to the court.

Consequently, Adegboruwa applied that it be made available to all the parties in the case.

The coroner stated also that it may be necessary for the father and the mother of the deceased to file their respective applications on what to do with the corpse so that the court can rule on it.

Adegboruwa further informed the Coroner court that he became aware yesterday morning that Mr Femi Falana, SAN, is the lead counsel to the mother of the deceased.

He said he would prefer to liaise with Falana so that both father and mother can harmonize their viewpoints.

He said: “But in the interim, it is good to preserve the corpse since the Coroner has already assumed jurisdiction over the matter.”

Counsel representing the state, Akinde, informed the Coroner that the state is ready to cooperate with and assist the parties by making available all witnesses and documents, including all doctors and medical personnel that attended to the deceased at LASUTH.

After listening to all the parties, the Coroner stated that yesterday’s inaugural sitting was for preliminary proceedings to set the course for the inquest.

She asked the parties to meet to harmonize their views and submit the list of the names of witnesses to be called before the next date. She directed that the autopsy report and all necessary documents be made available to counsel to the parties.

The case was adjourned to November 24, 2023, for further proceedings.

 

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Reserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves have reached $48.5 billion, their highest level in nearly 13 years.

This milestone, confirmed by data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), surpasses previous multi-year peaks and represents the strongest balance since May 14, 2013, when reserves stood at approximately $48.51 billion.

However, the data showed that the foreign reserves increased steadily by 6.45 percent or $2.94 billion year-to-date, from $45.56 billion reported on January 1 to $48.5 billion.

Further checks showed that the FX reserves figure was $48.36 billion on Monday.

According to the CBN, FX reserves are assets held on reserve by a monetary authority in foreign currencies, which are used to back liabilities and influence monetary policy.

On December 22, 2025, the apex bank projected that the country’s external reserves would rise to $51.04 billion in 2026, saying the increase will be supported by FX reforms.

“Reforms in the foreign exchange market are expected to sustain exchange rate stability, while external reserves are projected to increase to US$51.04 billion,” CBN said.

On February 10, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of CBN, said the bank will do “whatever it takes” to safeguard the value of the naira, while strengthening the country’s external reserves.

Looking ahead to 2030, he said the CBN’s targets include achieving single-digit inflation and growing foreign exchange (FX) reserves driven by non-oil exports, foreign direct investment, and diaspora remittances.

 

Continue Reading

Trending