Connect with us

Sports

Just In: Tobi Amusan Reacts To Anti-Doping Violation Charge Against Her

Published

on

Women’s hurdles world record-holder Tobi Amusan said Wednesday she has been charged with an alleged anti-doping rule violation, casting doubt on her participation in next month’s world championships.

The 26-year-old Nigerian athlete disclosed this in a post via her Instagram account.

She said, “Today the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) has charged me with an alleged rule violation for having 3 missed tests in 12 months.

“I intend to fight this charge and will have my case decided by a tribunal of 3 arbitrators before the start of next month’s World Championships.”

“I am a CLEAN ATHLETE, and I am regularly; (maybe more than the usual) tested by the AIU – I was tested within days of my third ‘missed test.’ I have FAITH that this will be resolved in my favour and that I will be competing at the World Championships in August.”

Amusan’s representatives did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment.

On Sunday, Amusan took part in the Silesia Diamond League competition in Poland, where she set a new meeting record of 12.34sec.

At the Golden Spike athletics meet in the Czech Republic last month, she finished in third place in the women’s 100m hurdles, losing to reigning Olympic champion Jasmine Camacho-Quinn of Puerto Rico, who claimed victory in 12.42sec.

When asked by reporters about improving her world record pace, she said: “Nothing is impossible and 11 seconds? Most definitely”.

But she was less confident about an ongoing debate on raising hurdles to give priority to technique over speed.

“Don’t do that, don’t raise the hurdles. Please,” said Amusan, who is 5’1 (156 centimetres) tall.

The latest development has now cast doubt on Amusan’s participation in next month’s world championships.

Amusan set the current world record for the women’s 100m hurdles of 12.12 seconds at last year’s World Athletics Championships.

 

 

 

Sports

Paul Pogba Receives 4-Year Ban From Football For Doping

Pogba argued that he had ingested the substance accidentally in the hope of receiving a reduced suspension but, as first revealed by La Repubblica, his claims have been rejected and he has now been handed the biggest possible suspension of four years.

Published

on

By

Juventus player Paul Pogba has been banned from football for four years following a failed drug test, according to reports by Italian media.

Pogba tested positive for testosterone earlier this season and was suspended on September 11, 2023, while officials opened an investigation.

Pogba argued that he had ingested the substance accidentally in the hope of receiving a reduced suspension but, as first revealed by La Repubblica, his claims have been rejected and he has now been handed the biggest possible suspension of four years.

Pogba will turn 31 in March and will not be able to return to competitive football until shortly before his 35th birthday. It is understood that his four-year suspension will include the period he has already served on the sidelines and will therefore be lifted in 2027.

Pogba returned to Juventus on a free transfer after his Manchester United contract expired in 2022 but suffered a serious knee injury during the summer which limited him to just ten appearances across all competitions last season, including just one start in Serie A. In total, he has played just 213 minutes for Juventus since returning to the club.

The French midfielder went unused in the first game of the season but was still randomly selected for a doping test after the match. He made two more substitute appearances before the results were confirmed and Pogba was suspended.

He remains under contract with Juventus until 2026. The club have been informed of the court’s decision but are yet to respond publicly.

Continue Reading

Sports

Just In: Tinubu Honours Super Eagles, Officials With MON Award

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has conferred the national honour of Member of the Order of the Niger (MON) on all Super Eagles team members in appreciation of their performance at the just concluded CAF 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament held in Cote d’Ivoire.

In further recognition of their achievement, the federal government, represented by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)  Nyesom Wike, has granted each member of the team a plot of land as well as a flat with the location yet to be announced.

President Tinubu, who received the national football team, expressed pride in the team, acknowledging their role in fostering unity within the country through their remarkable performance.

Despite finishing second, he encouraged them to hold their heads high and maintain their team spirit.

Troost Ekong, the team’s assistant captain and recipient of the 2023 CAF AFCON Most Valuable Player, expressed gratitude to President Tinubu for his support, expressing a desire to present a trophy rather than silver medals.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON 2023: Tinubu To Attend Super Eagles, Ivory Coast Final In Cote d’Ivoire

Mr Motsepe said. “The Nigerian president (Bola Tinubu) is coming to watch the final on Sunday. I will have a conversation with him about it,”

Published

on

By

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) President Dr Patrice Motsepe has confirmed President Tinubu’s intention to grace the final of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Cote d’Ivoire on Sunday. 

Mr Motsepe confirmed the development at a press conference held by the CAF supremo in Abidjan on Friday while responding to a question from a journalist asking when Africa can host the FIFA World Cup again.

Responding to a question, Mosepe stated that Vice President Kashim Shettima told him that President Tinubu would come for the final game on Sunday.

“I was with the Vice President (Kasheem Shettima) on Wednesday and he said that Nigeria’s president will come for the final,” Mosepe said.

“Nigeria must put in a bid,” Mr Motsepe said. “The Nigerian president (Bola Tinubu) is coming to watch the final on Sunday. I will have a conversation with him about it,” he added.

Nigeria’s Super Eagles beat South Africa in the penalty shootout on Wednesday to reach the final of this year’s tournament, setting up a final showdown with the Elephants of Côte d’Ivoire on Sunday.

Mr Tinubu sent his Vice President, Kashim Shettima, to Côte d’Ivoire to represent him in the game against South Africa, having just been back a few days earlier from a trip to France but will be present at the stadium on Sunday for the final.

Before now, many government officials and dignitaries from Nigeria have come to Cote d’Ivoire to support the Super Eagles.

Notable among them are Vice President Kasheem Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Kwara State Governor Rasaq Abdul Rahman and Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending