Connect with us

News

Inciting Tweets: APC Spokespersons, Onanuga, Fani-Kayode Under Scrutiny

Published

on

Days after the February 25 presidential election, there are fears that actions of some politicians may widen disunity and threaten the already fragile peace in the country.

The National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, had expressed concern about the nationwide rise in hate speech fueled by politicians seeking political patronage.

NHRC warned that ethnic and religious sentiments were being used to create division, fear, and hatred among different groups.

The commission noted that using and misusing social media to spread ethnic and religious hate-laced messages is worrisome, with far-reaching and complex implications.

Chief Tony Ojukwu, the Commission’s Executive Secretary, who disclosed the organisation’s worry, lamented that the threat had crept into places of worship where religious leaders have joined the unholy enterprise of spreading hate speeches.

Findings revealed that the ethnic hate-laced messages cut across political parties. However, APC spokespersons Bayo Onanuga and Femi Fani-Kayode, have come under the radar recently because of their tweets.

This is even as the President-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has maintained silence about the development.

DAILY POST reported how Onanuga warned the Igbo in Lagos State against “interfering” with politics in the state.

Following the conclusion of the March 18 Gubernatorial election in some States, Onanuga tweeted the warning via his official Twitter account.

“Let 2023 be the last time of Igbo interference in Lagos politics. Let there be no repeat in 2027.

“Lagos is like Anambra, Imo, any Nigerian state. It is not No Man’s Land, not Federal Capital Territory. It is Yoruba land. Mind your business,” he wrote.

Onanuga would later double down on his tweet, saying he owed nobody any apology for asking the Igbo never to interfere with the politics of Lagos State.

Meanwhile, on Monday, the International Criminal Court (ICC) formally acknowledged receipt of a petition written by Professor Gideon Christian to investigate election and post-election violence in Nigeria, which alleged incitement to ethnic hate by Onanuga.

Christian had, in his petition titled: “Request to Investigate the Election and Post-Election Violence in Nigeria as well as Incitement to Ethnic Hate by Mr Bayo Onanuga”, invited the Office of the prosecutor to investigate a series of ethnically motivated violence resulting in injuries and death during the just concluded presidential and governorship elections in Nigeria.

He alleged that Onanuga issued a threat on Twitter warning individuals from the Igbo ethnic group that 2023 should be the last time they would be interfering in Lagos politics.

Similarly, the United Kingdom has hit out at Fani-Kayode over controversial comments made during the electoral season.

The British Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, Ben Llewellyn-Jones, faulted Fani-Kayode for derogatory remarks, warning that the UK government would issue visa bans to people undermining democracy.

Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, last week, wrote a letter to the Department of State Services (DSS) calling for the arrest of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, and his running mate, Datti Baba-Ahmed, over their comments on the outcome of the 2023 presidential election.

Keyamo, who served as the spokesperson of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, accused Obi and Datti of making incendiary claims on the presidential election, which he said was capable of truncating the nation’s democracy.

Datti was reported to have said that if the President-Elect is sworn in on May 29, 2023, it would “signal the end of democracy”.

An Abuja-based activist, Maduabuchi Idam, told DAILY POST in an interview that the statements of these individuals had incited the Nigerian public and could amount to treasonable offence.

Idam, a lawyer, warned that individuals acting for their political principal should consider that the country has different religions and tribes.

He said, “These statements have clearly incited the Nigerian public. And they can be construed to mean a treasonable offence. You cannot say that those statements have not incited Nigerians or, in one way or the other, attempted to cause disunity.

“Nigeria is, without a doubt, a complex society with different religions and different tribes. And that is why individuals acting for their political principal should factor that in mind so that they don’t do anything that would cause disunity.

“So for anybody writing to ICC, I don’t know how that would go because ICC is actually having jurisdiction over the government or individuals when it has to do with war crimes. I don’t know how that will fly, but I can tell you that under our local laws, those comments have clearly flouted the provisions of the penal code.”

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending