Connect with us

News

Ondo: Amid Deadline Extension, Traders Reject Old Naira Notes

Published

on

Traders in Ondo State have continued to reject the old naira notes as means of legal tender in the State.

This is despite the 10 days extension given by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, on the usage of the old notes.

The rejection of the old notes by most traders has become a huge concern for residents of the State, particularly as the full circulation of the redesigned notes was yet to be felt in the State.

Before the initial deadline of January 31, bank customers were seen in their numbers depositing the old notes in banks, while some POS operators were opting for transfers from customers after they complained of not being able to access the new notes.

While monitoring the situation in Akure, the State capital, DAILY POST gathered that Automated Teller Machines, ATMs, in most of the banks were besieged by customers trying to withdraw the new notes.

Meanwhile, at the counters of the banks, the old notes were still being given to customers by cashiers, despite the limited period before the CBN deadline.

At Zenith Bank, Alagbaka, customers who had come for withdrawal expressed frustration over the development, particularly the fact that the ATMs were not dispensing enough cash.

With the bank’s ATM filled with new notes of N500, Zenith Bank customers have access to N30,000, with only N10,000 per withdrawal.

It was also the same situation at Jaiz Bank and UBA, as customers waited patiently even into the late hours of Monday to make withdrawals from the ATM galleries.

Speaking on the situation, one of the customers, Bade Omoniyi, said that she had been in the queue for about 40 minutes as she waited for four people ahead of her to make their withdrawals.

According to her, “everything about this country is just frustration. I went to Access Bank, which is my bank, but the crowd there was something else. So, I decided to make use of the ATM at Zenith Bank, but it was the same situation.

“When I got here (Zenith Bank), I was told that the ATM is only bringing out N500 new notes and that I can only collect N15,000 with my Access Bank debit card, while only Zenith Bank customers will collect N30,000.”

For another customer, Bayo Oluduro, the situation could best be described as pathetic, as the volume of old notes hitherto in circulation was more than the volume of the redesigned notes.

He said that going by the current situation, the February 10 deadline was not feasible.

 

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges

Published

on

By

Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.

 

 

The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.

 

 

According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:

 

Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.

 

She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.

 

She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.

 

Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.

 

Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.

The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.

 

The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.

Statement from Maureen Badejo

Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.

 

 

“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.

 

 

However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending