Connect with us

Education

Anxiety As ASUU Decides On Shutting Down Universities

Published

on

Less than one month after the Academic Staff Union of Staff Universities, ASUU, suspended its 8-month industrial action, the union and the Federal Government are back on a warpath.

Already, the National Executive Council of the ASUU is set to meet on Monday (tomorrow) to decide whether to embark on another strike or not, DAILY POST gathered.

The meeting, which is expected to be held at the University of Abuja campus, comes on the heels of the October salary cut received by members of the union, weeks after suspending the prolonged industrial action.

ASUU had on February 14, 2023, shut down both State and Federal government-owned universities over previous agreements yet to be implemented by the government.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, after what he described as “failed negotiations” dragged the striking lecturers before the National Industrial Court.

The court, on September 21, ordered ASUU to call off the strike and resume duty with immediate effect.

ASUU had swiftly appealed the judgement but the Appeal Court also handed down a similar order, asking the striking lecturers to resume academic activities as declared in the earlier judgement.

The strike was finally suspended on October 14, 2022.

During the strike, the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government vowed to sustain its No work, No-pay policy in a bid to force the union back to class.

But following the intervention of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila, it was reported that the FG had agreed to set the policy aside and pay the arrears.

But earlier in the week, lecturers were paid half salaries for October, a development that may lead to another industrial crisis between the FG and the union.

Recall that the University of Jos (UNIJOS) chapter of ASUU had on Friday commenced a fresh ‘strike’ to protest the half salaries paid to its members for the month of October.

A member of the NEC, who spoke to DAILY POST on the condition of anonymity, said nothing would stop the union from embarking on another strike, stressing that their earlier agreement had been breached.

He said, “We are meeting on Monday to decide on the Federal Government’s move. I don’t think there will be anything that can stop the union from going on fresh strike. Agreement is agreement”.

When contacted by DAILY POST, the ASUU President, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke confirmed the NEC meeting but refused to reveal the date.

Asked if the union was planning to embark on another strike, Professor Osodeke simply said, “we have procedures, we will meet soon and whatever is the outcome, we will let you know”.

Education

Osun: Governor Adeleke Sacks 1,500 Teachers Employed By Oyetola

Published

on

By

The Governor of Osun State, Ademola Adeleke, has nullified the employment of 1,500 teachers citing irregularity in the recruitment process.

JomogNews reports that Senator Adeleke said the late employment was done without due process by the former governor, Gboyega Oyetola.

Former governor Adegboyega Oyetola on 17th July 2022, employed several residents into the Osun State civil service as civil servants, including 1,500 teachers.

Governor Adeleke had on his assumption of office issued an Executive Order that nullifies the employment of 1,500 teachers that was hurriedly done by Oyetola.

However, in a passionate appeal by the affected teachers, on Monday, led by one Mr Owoyemi Abdulwasiu during a press conference held at Correspondent Chapel in Osogbo, urged the Governor to exercise restraint in disengaging them on the passionate ground.

Owoyemi said the sack will throw the 1,500 teachers back into the unemployment market and shatter their family livelihoods. He asked the governor to consider the value chain effect the sack would cause on the families of the teachers and society.

As of the time of filling the report, the state government is yet to respond officially to the sack of the teachers.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Education

FUTA Student Commits Suicide Over Fraud Allegation

Published

on

By

A 300-level student of the Federal University of Technology Akure, Olona Oluwapelumi, has committed suicide at his residence in the Aule Area of Akure, the Ondo State capital.

The deceased, who was popularly called Black, was said to be in the Department of Industrial Design at the university. He was said to have hanged himself in his room.

The reasons he took the action against himself were unknown as of the time of filing this report.

A source in the school stated that the deceased’s friends on Saturday went to his room and discovered it was locked, after several calls without response, the door was broken and he was found hanged.

Reacting to the incident, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the death of the 300-level student and said the incident was reported to the police.

“His body had been taken to the morgue and investigation has started to unravel the reasons behind his action, but it was a case of suicide,” the PPRO stated.

The Students Union Government of the school in a statement, signed by its President, Jesunifemi Asoore, also confirmed the incident.

The statement read, “It is with deep sadness and heavy hearts that we inform you of the death of our colleague and friend, Olona Joseph Oluwapelumi. popular known as Tart Angle. who passed away on Sat 21st Jan 2023.

“According to the report, His death was confirmed in the early hour of Saturday, January 21, 2023. The deceased, identified as Olona Joseph a 300-level student from the department of Industrial Design was reported to have committed suicide by hanging himself in the early hour of today.

“I know we are all saddened by his death and we’re sending our condolences to his family and friends. Death can be difficult for us to understand, especially when it is sudden. Many of us may be confronted with a variety of emotions. which might include shock, sadness and confusion.

“We want to assure you that we, the Students Union, care about you and the feelings you may be experiencing.

When contacted, the Head of Media and Protocols Unit of the institution, Mr Adegbenro Adebanjo, confirmed the incident.

He said, “The university is aware of the very sad and unfortunate development. The Students Affairs Division has gotten in touch with the family and it is also providing support services.

Counsellors are also providing needed support for students who may have been impacted by the sad development.

The police authorities have also been duly informed. Our prayer is with the family at this very difficult moment. May the Lord grant the family and friends of the deceased the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.”

Meanwhile, a friend of the deceased, Omoniyi Enoch, who spoke with the Union of Campus Journalists of FUTA, on its Facebook page, said the deceased was suspected to commit the act following an issue of money he had with his department.

Enoch said Late Olona was the Financial Secretary of his department until his death.

“When school resumed for the 2021/2022 session, the Treasurer of the department wasn’t around to receive payment for due. Joseph (Olona) decided to receive the payments from students.

“The President requested that Joseph should send N100,000 to him for a departmental project. Joseph sent it using his digital bank – Carbon. He was debited but the President didn’t receive the payment.

“Several emails were sent to the bank but the issue wasn’t resolved. Due to that, he was so pressured about it and everyone secluded him. He hasn’t attended lectures since we got back from the Christmas break because of the pressure,” Enoch explained

He added, “Yesterday morning, I went to get my phone from Joseph because his phone is faulty and we both shared my phone. He informed me that his HOD called his daddy and said he engaged in fraud. He was very disturbed about it.

“He requested to follow me to my office at the Students’ Union Building because he didn’t want to stay alone. I left him at the office to attend the homecoming event that was held at the T.I Francis auditorium and also watched the Awopegba match.

“When I got back to the office, he had already locked the office door. He came back to give me the keys and left. When I got home, I forced him to eat.

“At 7:40 pm, knocked on his door but he didn’t open. I left thinking he was still angry with me for leaving him at the office.

“At 8:30 pm, I knocked again but there was no response. At 10:01 pm, I tried again but there was no response, so I went to sleep.

“This morning, I went to knock around 8 am but there was no response. I had to go and check through his window and I saw him hanging from the ceiling.”

Continue Reading

Education

Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees

Published

on

By

A Canadian college, George Brown, has withheld the part-payment of the school fees paid by a Nigerian applicant, Miss Precious Ademokun, who got denied a study visa by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Ademokun who spoke with the CBC News said she had received her admission into a programme at the George Brown College in April and paid CAD8,867 for the first semester fees out of the total of CAD16,872 for both semesters, before applying for a student visa on July 4, adding, “I was told the visa application process could take six to eight weeks.”

The 19-year-old lady maintained that after months of waiting in Nigeria for her study permit application to be processed, she was denied a student visa — and the Toronto college she applied to won’t refund her money.

“I’m very disappointed and sad,” Ademokun told CBC Toronto.

A copy of letter from George Brown College denying Ademokun a refund.

When Ademokun contacted the college on September 19, with no decision on her visa by the IRCC, she missed the school’s refund deadline.

On October 6, she received a decision from the IRCC that her study permit had been denied.

Despite that, the Canadian college told Ademokun it could not refund any of the fees she paid to the school.

She appealed, but the school denied her request for withdrawal and refund in a letter sent to her on December 15.

In a letter sent to Ademokun, George Brown College denied her appeal to withdraw her first tuition deposit of $8,962 because she didn’t meet up with the deadline date.

Observing the institution’s website to validate their claim, it wrote, “In George Brown College, international students who are refused a study permit are eligible for a refund or deferral, if it is requested within their deadline date.”

When the CBC Toronto contacted the school’s registrar, Janene Christiansen, she said in a statement that it values its international students and understands “it is always a huge disappointment when study permits are denied.”

Christiansen added, “The school is ‘following up directly’ with Ademokun to ‘find a resolution.’”

“Now that new information is coming to light, we are following up directly with the individual to gather more details and find a resolution.”

Christiansen also said George Brown College’s international withdrawal and refund policy is aligned with other colleges in Ontario and complies with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities directives, as well as IRCC regulations.

However, she says, the school is reviewing its internal processes and policies to “ensure an improved, clear and transparent process for all prospective students.

When The PUNCH observed Canada’s website on study permits for international students, it reads that it currently takes up to nine weeks to process.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: