Two of the three white men who chased and killed Ahmaud Arbery as he jogged through a Georgia neighborhood in early 2020 were sentenced to life in prison on Monday, August 8 for federal hate crimes.
During a state held trial in Gerogia, Travis McMichael, the young man responsible for fatally shooting Arbery, and his father, Greg McMichael, had already been sentenced to life in prison without parole for their roles in the killing.
Then Months after, the McMichaels and their neighbor, William “Roddie” Bryan, each received life sentences for murder in state court.
But on Monday, all three men convicted in Arbery’s murder faced a second round of criminal penalties for federal hate crimes committed in the deadly pursuit of the 25-year-old Black Arbery.
U.S. District Court Judge Lisa Godbey Wood scheduled back-to-back hearings to individually sentence each of the defendants, starting with Travis McMichael, who fired a shotgun at Arbery after the street chase initiated by his father and joined by Bryan.
Arbery’s killing on Feb. 23, 2020, became was one of the initiators of racial injustice protests amid killings of unarmed Black people including George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Kentucky. Those two cases also resulted in the Justice Department bringing federal charges.
When the court hearings resume in Georgia on Monday, Bryan faces a possible life sentence as well, after a jury convicted him along with the McMichaels in February of federal hate crimes, concluding that they violated Arbery’s civil rights and targeted him because of his race. All three men were also found guilty of attempted kidnapping, and the McMichaels face additional penalties for using firearms to commit a violent crime.
All three defendants have remained jailed in coastal Glynn County, in the custody of U.S. marshals, while awaiting sentencing after their federal convictions in January.
Because they were first charged and convicted of murder in a state court, protocol would have them turned them over to the Georgia Department of Corrections to serve their life terms in a state prison.
The McMichaels armed themselves with guns and jumped in a truck to chase Arbery after spotting him running past their home outside the port city of Brunswick on Feb. 23, 2020. Bryan joined the pursuit in his own truck, helping cut off Arbery’s escape. He also recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael shooting Arbery at close range as Arbery threw punches and grabbed at the shotgun.
The McMichaels told police they suspected Arbery had been stealing from a nearby house under construction. But authorities later concluded he was unarmed and had committed no crimes. Arbery’s family has long insisted he was merely out jogging.
Two months passed before any charges were filed in Arbery’s death.
The McMichaels family and Bryan were arrested only after the graphic video of the shooting leaked online and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case from local police.
Before and after photos of Ukranian soldier recently released in prisoner swap after four months in Russian captivity (photos)
The Ukranian Ministry of defence has released shocking photos showing the devastating condition of a Ukranian soldier captured by Russia.
Mykhailo Dianov, a Ukrainian soldier was released on Wednesday, September 21 by the Russian government after the UAE helped broker a prisoner exchange between Ukraine and Russia.
Before his capture, Mykhailo Dianov, helped defend the Azovstal plant in Mariupol. He trended in Ukraine after the release of a photo where he smiles despite the serious injury to his arm inside the Azovstal steelworks during the early stages of the war.
After four months in Russian prison, Diano said he did not receive any adequate medical help according to the Russian ministry of defence.
The Ukranian ministry of defence tweeted on Friday evening;
“Ukrainian soldier Mykhailo Dianov is among the fortunate ones: in contrast with some of his fellow POWs, he survived russian captivity. This is how russia “adheres” to the Geneva Conventions. This is how russia continues the shameful legacy of Nazism.”
Meghan Markle makes a ‘very brave’ request to King Charles ahead of her return to California with Prince Harry
Meghan Markle has requested a private meeting with King Charles to heal rifts before her departure to California with Harry after the Queen’s funeral, a royal reporter has alleged.
Neil Sean, an entertainment correspondent who has appeared on NBC News, MSNBC and Access Hollywood, said that he had heard from a “very good source” that the Duchess of Sussex had sent a letter requesting a private conversation with the King.
Mr Sean claims that Meghan wants to “clear the air” before they fly back to the US to be with their children, Archie, three, and Lilibet, one.
Sean said in a video posted to YouTube: “She’d now like, before they return back to California, to have a one-to-one audience with King Charles III.
“That’s right—Meghan one-to-one with King Charles. You heard correct.
“It’s a very brave move from Meghan herself.”
Detailing the content of the letter Meghan reportedly wrote to King Charles, Neil said: “It would be an opportunity to clear the air, pull the rights from wrongs and explain some of the rationale behind what they’ve been doing over the last two years.”
Neil Sean then added: “Now, you know, you have to admire Meghan’s self-belief, whatever you think.”
However, Sean warned it remains unclear if the letter will be enough for the couple to make amends with the Royal Family.
“Truthfully, we have no idea if this is going to go forward.”
Sean said it was customary to request the King’s presence through a letter.
“This is how you write to the King through his equity, and of course that’s passed on,” he told his YouTube channel.
Queen Elizabeth Coffin Leaves For Windsor
Queen Elizabeth Coffin is currently on its way to Windsor.
JomogNews Nigeria reports that Queen Elizabeth coffin has left for Windsor Castle around 1:40 pm on Monday where the monarch will be buried this afternoon to end a 10-day long of mourning.
This online newspaper understands that the ongoing state funeral of the late Queen has gathered about 500 heads of state and world dignitaries to honour her 70-year reign as the longest-serving British monarch in history.
The attention has shifted away from Westminster Abbey where Her Majesty’s life was commemorated in one of the most historic events the country has seen in recent years.
King Charles III and other royal families as well government officials led by UK’s Prime Minister, Liz Truss were in attendance at Westminster.
After being loaded into a hearse, the queen’s coffin departed Wellington Arch following a royal salute and the playing of the national anthem.
Crowds clapped and cheered as the hearse drove past. It has now headed to its final destination in Windsor, a town about 30 miles southwest of London where the queen will be buried.
King Charles III and queen consort, along with Prince and Princess of Wales and other members of the royal family are departing for Windsor by car, followed by those who are to take part in the procession in Windsor.
The king, along with his two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, and his siblings, walked behind the coffin along a procession route in central London on foot for nearly 1.5 hours.
State trumpeters from the Household Cavalry sounded the “Last Post” following Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby’s commendation over the queen’s coffin and a blessing pronounced by the dean.
Two minutes’ silence followed across the country before “Reveille” was sounded by the trumpeters. The national anthem was sung by the congregation.
Charles looked very emotional during the singing of the anthem, remaining silent during the song, while his siblings and members of the royal family sang along.
Gripping his ceremonial sword, Charles looked downcast as he stared straight ahead while a piper played “Sleep, Dearie, Sleep.”
A lament was played by The Sovereign’s piper as her coffin was carried out of Westminster Abbey to be placed on the State Gun Carriage.
The strains of the lament could still be heard echoing through the Abbey as the piper walked off.
Shortly after, as the organist played Bach’s “Fantasia in C minor,” soldiers of the bearer party entered from the South Quire Aisle.
As the bearers moved slowly through the abbey to place the coffin once more on the gun carriage, they were followed in procession to the Great West Door by The king and queen consort along with other members of the royal family.
Why NLC, TUC Must Protect Nigeria’s Democracy – Obasa
Just In: Supreme Court affirms Osun Gov-elect, Adeleke as PDP candidate
Breaking: I won’t appeal judgement barring me from senatorial poll — Lawan
Tinubu absent as Obi, Atiku, other presidential candidates sign peace accord
BREAKING: Catholic Diocese Of Enugu Lifts Ban On Mbaka’s Adoration Ministry
PCC: Adamu Writes Tinubu As Crisis Festers In APC
Soludo reacts to killing of soldiers in Anambra, assures arrest of perpetrators
Atiku Most Prepared Candidate For Nigeria’s Presidency – Ex-VP Sambo
Over 20 Persons Burnt To Death As Explosion Rocks Kogi
APC: Amaechi Bound To Reject Membership Of Tinubu Campaign Council – Insider
Security & Crime1 day ago
Video: Two Dead, Many Injured In Lagos Transport Workers’ Fracas
Security & Crime2 days ago
POLICE ARREST TRAFFIC ROBBERS ON IKORODU ROAD
Politics1 day ago
2023: Bloomberg Polls Puts Peter Obi Ahead Of Atiku, Tinubu
News2 days ago
Dethroned Lagos Monarch Who Faked Kidnap Jailed 15 Years
Politics2 days ago
Ex-SGF, Babachir Lawal distances self from PDP, quits politics with Buhari in 2023
News1 day ago
Photos: Obasa, Others Storm Pen Cinema Bridge, Work Commences On Failed Portion
Celebrities2 days ago
Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Demoted On Royal Family Website
Politics1 day ago
PDP Crisis: Wike, Ortom, Makinde, two other govs shun campaign inauguration