Connect with us

News

Helicopter Shot At Natives, Left Our Attackers Unhurt – Kaduna Villagers

Published

on

Some villagers in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State have fled their homes following Sunday’s attack that left no fewer than 32 people dead while others were injured.

The Kaduna State Government through its Commissioner for International Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the attack.

It was gathered that the bloodthirsty terrorists attacked Ugwan Gamu, Dogon Noma, Ungwan Sarki, and Maikori villages near Maro in Kajuru LGA on Sunday, June 5, 2022.

This came less than 24 hours after terrorists abducted 14 persons at Iri Station, about 8km from Idon town, Idon Ward of the same Kajuru LGA.

It was learnt that the terrorists on Friday killed 25 locals but “as villagers comb surrounding bushes for corpses, seven decomposed bodies were found Monday morning.”

A resident of one of the villages, who escaped from the attack and who crave anonymity, said as the villagers were still nursing the pains of the abduction of their kinsmen and how to raise money for their release, when “the terrorists invaded a nearby communities twice, killing 25 persons.”

The villager added, “The gunmen came twice and operated unhindered, they came sensing that there will be no threat from anybody. When some of our people were abducted by them on Saturday which had been the norm, we thought that was all for the day but we couldn’t sleep that night. It was hell,” he added.

Another victim, who is temporarily staying with a relative at Sabon Tasha in Chikun LGA of the state, noted that “our village (Maikori) is completely deserted. We came here since on Monday. We can no longer stay on our ancestral land. The terrorists come at anytime, kidnap and demand ransom. We sold our farm produce to pay ransom everytime.”

He added that at Dogon Noma near Maro, more than 30 residents, among them women and children were killed and several houses were razed by the terrorists.

He continued that “whenever the bandits abduct our people, they will tell us that they are going to release the women and kill all the youths.

“We saw helicopter assisting the bandits. Some of them are riding on motorcycles, wielding AK-47 rifles. Some were wearing military uniforms.

“On market days, they will storm the market and collect phones. Even after payment of ransom, the bandits will call and say they had released the victims, only for us to find the dead bodies.”

Another victim, Martina Dennis, 30, who fled her residence following the attack, said she had an operation in a Kachia hospital but had to come to Kaduna because of the attack at home (village).

Although she claimed that her husband and son were still in the village but lamented that Fulani were terrorising them while saying that “they (attackers) want to take over village”.

“They have rustled our livestock- goats, Rams and chicken,” she added.

But the locals under aegis of Adara Development Association had earlier alleged that a helicopter aided the attackers who invaded the villages, including Ungwan Gamu, Dogon Noma, Ungwan Sarki and Maikori near Maro in Kajuru LGA.

The National President of the Association, Awemi Dio Maisamari, who disclosed in statement made available to journalists, said the attack started around noon on Sunday and lasted until around 6pm unchallenged.

The statement alleged that the attack was carried out by terrorists who came on about 150 motorcycles carrying three AK-47-wielding persons each.

“To the horror of the natives, the white painted helicopter, faced the brave natives instead and started shooting at the youths from the air, clearly leaving out the killers who can be distinctly identified by the mode of dressings and from their positions,” the statement said.

Source

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending