Connect with us

Sports

Spanish Grand Prix:What Lewis Hamilton Said After Mercedes Man Finished 5th

Published

on

Lewis Hamilton says his recovery to finish fifth in the Spanish Grand Prix feels “better than a win”.

The seven-time champion impressively fought back from a puncture on the first lap which saw him drop to 19th.

With team-mate George Russell finishing third it marked an improved weekend for Mercedes, who have struggled with their car in the opening five races.

“To have that problem and come back it felt like some of the older races I’ve done,” Hamilton said.

“It feels amazing.”

Hamilton collided with Haas’ Kevin Magnussen on the opening lap in Barcelona and when he rejoined at the back of the field after his enforced pit stop he despondently suggested retiring the car to preserve the engine, such was the gap to the leaders.

But he responded with a fine drive and was on course to finish fourth until he had to slow down in the closing laps because of a coolant leak, which allowed Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz to retake a position Hamilton had taken shortly beforehand.

“I was thinking it was impossible to get back into points but the team said no you’re on for eighth,” Hamilton said. “I thought they were being super-optimistic.

“I’m glad we didn’t [retire] and it just shows you never stop and never give up and that’s what I did.

“A race like that is like a win, and it actually feels better than a win most often when you have come from so far back.”

Lewis Hamilton

Hamilton is sixth in the championship on 46 points. Russell is fourth with 74

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won the grand prix with team-mate Sergio Perez second ahead of Russell after Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc retired from the lead with an engine problem.

An upgrade to the Mercedes car in Spain featured a redesigned floor which seems to have eliminated the most significant problem the the car has had so far – a high-speed bouncing created by aerodynamic disruption on the straights, known as ‘porpoising‘.

In the opening five races Mercedes only had two podium finishes – Hamilton in the season opener in Bahrain and Russell in Australia three weeks later – with Hamilton often cutting a frustrated figure.

“We have made a lot of improvements with the car and the race pace is much better, the car is much nicer in the race, we have some improvements to make in qualifying,” Hamilton said.

“If I hadn’t had that [issue at the start], I would have been fighting with the Red Bulls.”

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said Hamilton’s performance reminded him of those from his previous title-winning seasons.

“Him showing this very good pace was important for not only his morale but also our morale,” Wolff said.

“Who would have thought he would climb all the way to fourth before the problem and that looked like a World Championship-winning race car he was driving.

“That would have not been possible in the previous races, it reminded me of last year and the year before when the car and driver is really on the top of its game.”

Sports

Tyson Fury warns Anthony Joshua, gives him 48 hours to sign contract

Published

on

By

WBC champion, Tyson Fury, has told Anthony Joshua to sign the contract for their all-British heavyweight battle by Monday or the fight is off.

Fury is running out of patience as he waits for a response from Joshua’s representatives.

“We’ll know by Monday anyway (if the super-fight is on) because if it’s not done by Monday I’m moving on,” Fury told Queensberry.

Joshua’s camp has received a contract and talks between the rival promoters are believed to have gone well so far.

But time is of the essence if a major fight is to take place by early December.

“I was optimistic about three weeks ago but it shouldn’t be taking this long to sign a contract.

“I’m not waiting around for some guy who’s lost three of his last five fights. He’s lucky that I’m giving him a world title shot. If not he’ll have to wait a long time to get another one,” Fury added.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Just In: Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo charged by FA

Published

on

By

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with ‘improper and/or violent conduct following the incident where he appeared to knock a mobile phone out of a supporter’s hand.

The incident happened at Everton’s Goodison Park after Manchester United’s 1-0 defeat last April.

Footage shared on social media showed the Portugal international appearing to smash a phone out of a young fan’s hand as he left the pitch and headed towards the tunnel.

Ronaldo was cautioned by police regarding the incident in August and later issued an apology to 14- year-old Jacob Harding on his Instagram account, admitting his emotions after such a damaging result had got the better of him.

United have announced they will be supporting their player in response to the charge.

A statement from the FA read: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United’s Premier League match against Everton FC on Saturday 9 April 2022.

‘It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent.’

Continue Reading

Sports

Just In: Roger Federer Retires From Tennis

Published

on

By

The 41-year-old winner of 20 Grand Slam titles has been out of action since a quarter-final loss at Wimbledon in 2021.

Tennis legend, Roger Federer has announced his retirement.

The Swiss tennis legend Roger Federer will retire after next week’s Laver Cup.

He made the announcement on Thursday.

“The Laver Cup next week in London will be my final ATP event,” he said in a statement posted on his Twitter account.

The 41-year-old winner of 20 Grand Slam titles has been out of action since a quarter-final loss at Wimbledon in 2021 before undergoing another bout of knee surgery.

Details later…

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: