Connect with us

News

Bandits Kill 51, Houses Burnt In Attacks On Communities

Published

on

Gunmen on Tuesday morning and night struck in three communities in Niger and Plateau states, killing 51 residents before fleeing unchallenged.

Bodies of 34 persons killed in Niger’s Nakuna and Wurukuchi communities were found in bushes and farms.

Fourteen of them were said to be members of two different families.

Seventeen others were killed in Ancha, Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State by the gunmen who also set many houses ablaze.

The attacks occurred shortly before reports emerged that many traders were kidnapped along the Birnin-Gwari-Kaduna Highway.

The attacks in Niger and Plateau were confirmed by Police Commissioner Monday Kuryas and Operation Safe Haven Commander Maj.-Gen. I. S. Ali. They did not dispute the figures.

Earlier yesterday, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a sustained military onslaught against bandits, gunmen, and terrorists across the country.

Senate President Ahmad Lawan also expressed worry over the rising security challenges, saying that Nigerians needed action and not excuses.

The Nakuna and Wurukuchi attacks on Tuesday morning were said to be reprisals by the gunmen for last week’s killing of many of their colleagues by vigilantes and hunters.

The gunmen were said to have captured and killed three of the hunters in one of the two communities.

The Nation learnt that 10 residents killed in Nakuna were members of the same family while four others were from another family in Wurukuchi.

Not giving up after the killings, the gunmen proceeded to burn down many houses and food barns in Nakuna.

Commissioner of Police Kuryas, who confirmed the killings, said policemen had been drafted to the communities.

The Nation gathered that in Ancha, Plateau State, the gunmen killed 17 residents and set ablaze many houses.

Information officer of Operation Safe Haven Ishaku Takwa, said: “In the late hours of Tuesday 11 January 2022, troops received a distress call of an attack on Ancha community.

“The troops responded swiftly and mobilised to the village. On reaching the community, the attackers had fled. Houses were destroyed and some villagers lost their lives during the attack.

“Troops are on the trail of the assailants and details of the pursuit would be made available later.”

Operation Safe Haven Commander I. S Ali, who commiserated with the families of the victims, assured that the perpetrators would be arrested.

Governor Simon Bako Lalong expressed sadness over the attack, saying it was another sad tale in the unending cycle of violence in the area.

He ordered security agencies to ensure the arrest of the attackers.

He also commiserated with the families of the victims and directed the state Emergency Management Agency and the Peace Building Agency to offer immediate humanitarian interventions.

An unspecified number of traders travelling to Kano from Birnin-Gwari Local Government of Kaduna State were allegedly abducted by bandits yesterday.

The bandits were said to have blocked the highway between Birnin Gwari and Kaduna at Unguwar Yako forest.

A source said: “ We spotted four empty vehicles and the drivers said an unspecified number of persons moving from Birnin-Gwari axis to Kano had been kidnapped.”

A spokesperson for the Kaduna State Police Command Muhammad Jailge could not be reached for comment on the incident.

Buhari orders sustained military onslaught

President Buhari has again assured that his administration would do whatever it takes to put a final stop to the activities of terrorists and bandits in parts of the country.

He spoke in Gusau, Zamfara State, through his delegation that was in the state on a condolence visit to the government over the killing of scores of residents last week.

Minister of Defense, Maj.- Gen. Bashir Magashi led the team.

Buhari described the Zamfara incident as an “extremely unfortunate” mass killing of innocent people by retreating bandits.

According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the President said there would be no holding back in the ongoing military campaigns to get rid of terrorists and bandits unleashing terror on the people and communities.

He said: “There will be no let-up in the ongoing campaign to rid Zamfara and other affected states of the menace of these terrorists. Since they have no regard for the sanctity of life, so shall they be dealt with.

“The government is fully informed of what is going on and will do whatever it takes to end this. We are here to talk to the Governor and to assure the state that the administration is determined to do more to defend the life and property of the people.”

Governor Bello Matawalle, who welcomed the delegation called on the Federal Government to fortify the security of the state with additional Armored Personnel Carriers, APCs and to roll out a special intervention fund for all the states affected by insecurity.

Lawan: Nigerians want actions, not excuses

Senate President Lawan said that Nigerians were tired of stories of incessant killings in the country by criminals.

He spoke in Abuja when some Senators and journalists covering the Senate visited to felicitate with him on his 63rd birthday.

Lawan insisted that insecurity was not good for the country.

His words: “A few days ago, reports have it that over 200 people were killed in Zamfara State. This is not the kind of story we want to hear as a people and as a government.

“The situation is not too good as far as the wanton killings by all manners of criminals are concerned.

“The security situation in the country is begging for more attention and it shall be given because that is the primary purpose of governance.”

All Progressives Congress (APC) governors, who also visited Matawale, said despite some positives by the federal and state governments, cooperation was vital to combat insecurity in the country.

They noted that in the last few years, a lot was being done to address the security challenges in the country but pointed out that more resources and community mobilization were still needed to flush out terrorists and bandits.

The governors were led by Abubakar Bagudu of Kebbi State.

 

News

BREAKING: Osinbajo meets state governors over fuel subsidy, launches COVID-19 stimulus program

Published

on

By

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is currently presiding over the National Economic Council NEC meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, where a good number of state governors are in attendance.

Before the meeting kicked off, Osinbajo launched the Nigeria COVID-19 Action Recovery and Economic Stimulus NG-CARES Program.

The program is being funded under the World Bank N750million loan.

As at the time of filing this brief report, there are strong indications that the meeting would deliberate on the contentious issue of fuel subsidy.

DAILY POST reliably gathered that most of the state governors who are members of NEC are not favourably disposed to the situation where deductions are made from their federal allocations, which goes into subsidising fuel products for the populace.

Osinbajo serves as chairman of the National Economic Council while the 36 state governors are members, including the FCT Minister, Mohammed Bello, the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed among other key agencies of government.

Meanwhile, at the federal level, the government appears to be at crossroads in taking concrete decisions on fuel subsidy removal owing to economic constraints.

More details later…

Continue Reading

News

LASOMP Congratulates Rasheed Bolarinwa As He Emerges ACAMB President

Published

on

By

Lagos State Online Media Publishers (LASOMP) has felicitated with Mr Rasheed Bolarinwa on his election as the President of Association of Corporate Affairs Managers of Banks, ACAMB, wishing him every success in his new position of leading corporate managers to chart a path of professional development and fulfilment.

LASOMP in a statement by its President, Mr Sola Adeyemo, said, “As a professional in the corporate industry who has held several strategic positions in Polaris Bank, a leading commercial bank in Nigeria, I trust that Mr Bolarinwa’s vast knowledge and experience in corporate world will greatly benefit the banking sector.

Adeyemo assures the new leadership of ACAMB of the continued cooperation of his administration in addressing the broad range of challenges and opportunities facing the banking sector.

Other elected executives include Oze Kalu, 1st vice-president (FirstBank); Lola Egboh, 2nd vice-president (First City Monumental Bank, FCMB); Sipe Babajide, secretary-general (EcoBank); Omide Odekina, assistant general-secretary (United Bank for Africa, UBA); Patrick Osilaja, financial secretary (Fidelity Bank); Funmilayo Falola, treasurer (Wema Bank); Abdul Imoyo, publicity secretary (Access Bank); Utulu Ozena, social secretary (Heritage Bank).

ACAMB was established in 1996 as an umbrella body for managers and public relations professionals in the Nigerian banking sector. It was founded as a response to the then negative perception of the banking industry.

Continue Reading

News

Police Arrest Suspect Over Disappearance Of 35-year-old Woman In Lagos

Published

on

By

The police has arrested a suspect in connection with the disappearance of Mercy Henry, a 35-year-old mother of two, a month ago in Lagos.

According to the woman’s father, Pa Henry Ekienabor,70, Mercy had told her family she was going to Ijegun, a suburb in Lagos State on December 16, 2021 and has since not been seen.

Speaking to the Guardian, Pa Ekienabor, who raised the alarm, said the family was apprehensive as the whereabouts of Mercy remains unknown.

He said not knowing whether Mercy is alive or dead was the most distressing for him and his family members.

Ekienabor, who said he has reported the matter to the police, was dissatisfied with the manner the police were handling the investigation.

He explained that although a suspect, Mayowa Timothy Bamidele, has been arrested and in police custody, he insisted that the police were not escalating the matter to the level he wanted. He also accused the police of handling Mayowa’s interrogation with kid gloves.

“I feel frustrated and dejected because I have never experienced this type of situation in my life. It’s been almost a month now and Mercy is nowhere to be found. We went round, called her friends and reported to the police. Police keep saying the investigation continues. We’ve gone to spiritual homes and we were told Mercy was being caged somewhere, but where? Nobody knows!” he said.

Recalling how Mercy disappeared, Ekienabor said: “On December 16, I got a call from my son that Mercy didn’t return home to sleep. She had told everyone she was going to Ijegun, but she didn’t mention the name of the person she was going to see. That same night, her siblings started calling all her friends, asking if they had heard or seen Mercy

“One of her friends residing at Port Harcourt, named Ayo, said that she spoke with Mercy at noon. She said that Mercy called, asking for a loan of N30, 000, that she needed it for treatment at a trado-medical home, that she was short of blood and getting leaner.

“Ayo told us that she paid the money into a First Bank account bearing the name, ‘Mayowa Timothy Bamidele,’ given to her by Mercy. The money landed in the account at 1:59pm and at 2:02p.m., Mercy’s phone number stopped going. Since then, we’ve not been able to reach her.”

The following day, the anxious family members dashed to Gowon Estate Police Station to make a formal complaint, declaring Mercy missing.

Using the information supplied by Ayo, the police went to First Bank and with the assistance of the Bank, Mayowa; the account holder that received the N30, 000, was arrested.

“Mr. Mayowa’s story has too many discrepancies. He claimed to have seen Mercy four years ago when she came to his traditional birth centre to deliver a baby girl. But his phone history and chats showed that he and Mercy spoke on December 15 about 9:00p.m.

“Now, if you call her phone it would be switched off, but at night it would ring twice or thrice, then it would be switched off. It shows that someone is in possession of it. On December 24, we requested that the matter be transferred to the State Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department (SCIID), Panti, Yaba,” said Ekienabor.

Spokesperson of the Lagos State Police Command, Adekunle Ajisebutu, who confirmed the incident, said that a suspect has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of the woman.

“The case is still under intensive investigation at the SCIID. The Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, has directed detectives handling the case to intensify efforts to trace the whereabouts of the woman. Meanwhile, a suspect has been arrested and is currently helping the Police detectives in their investigation.” he stated.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: