Connect with us

News

Dowen: No Evidence To Establish Sylvester Was bullied, forced to join cult –Odumosu

Published

on

Sylvester Oromoni was not bullied to death, Odumosu states.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu has said there is no evidence to establish that 12-year-old Sylvester Oromoni (Junior), a pupil of the Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos, was forced to join cult or bullied to death.

The CP stated this at a press conference on Friday while giving update on the investigation into the cause of the death of the late student.

He however stated that a Coroner Inquest would still be carried out on the cause of the death of the student.

Odumosu said, “At the end of diligent investigation carried out so far, there is no evidence to establish a case of torture, bullying and forceful application of poisonous substance against the suspects. All the suspects denied the allegations of torture, bullying and administering of poisonous substance to the deceased. Allegation that the deceased was being forced to join a cult group was also not established as other students interviewed denied this.”

Continuing, the Lagos CP said, “In spite of the transparent investigation carried out by the police and the non-establishment of prima facie case against the suspects, some members of the Ijaw Youths Council, Lagos led by one Comrade Henry Oyobolo protested in front of Dowen College for over two hours yesterday 6th January, 2022. The protesters including masquerades carried placards and were drumming, thereby causing panic and apprehension.”

He warned those threatening to go to any length to protest the outcome of the investigations to go the legal way or be ready to face the full wrath of the law.

Sylvester’s died under controversial circumstances in November 2021 and his death went viral following a social media post by his cousin, Perry Oromoni, who alleged that some senior pupils of the school beat him up in his hostel because he refused to join a cult.

But the school denied the claim, stating that the boy complained of leg pains following an injury he sustained while playing football.

The state government ordered the indefinite closure of the school pending the outcome of an investigation into the matter.

Five students and five employees of the school were arrested by the police.

However, legal advice by the Directorate of Public Prosecutions, Adetutu Oshinusi, cleared the suspects.

But the Oromoni’s lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), and the father of the deceased student, Sylvester Oromoni Snr, noted that the acquittal of the suspects was to pave way for the reopening of the college, whilst insisting on the coroner inquest into the death of the schoolboy.

 

News

Buhari ‘Renews Tenure Of DSS Boss’, Yusuf Bichi Amid Lingering Insecurity

Published

on

By

Buhari Has ‘Renewed The Tenure Of DSS Boss’, Yusuf Bichi Amid Lingering Insecurity in Nigeria.

The tenure of the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Yusuf Bichi, has been extended by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Recall that Bichi was appointed in September 2018, following the retirement of the former head of the secret police, Matthew Seiyefa.

Sefiya, who headed the agency in an acting capacity from August 7, 2018, to September 14, 2018, handed over to Bichi following his appointment by President Buhari.

According to DAILY NIGERIAN, the President approved the extension of Bichi’s tenure for another four years after rejecting a number of candidates proposed to him.

It was said that Buhari wanted Bichi “to continue with the good job he is doing in intelligence gathering” instead of appointing a new head of the agency.

Confirming the development to the newspaper, the spokesman for the DSS, Peter Afunanya, said Bichi’s tenure has been renewed.

Profile of Bichi

Bichi attended Danbatta Secondary School, the Kano State College of Advanced Studies and the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where he graduated with a degree in Political Science.

He began his career in the security division of the Cabinet Office in Kano, from where he joined the defunct Nigerian Security Organization (NSO) before it became the present-day SSS.

The 66-year-old was appointed in September 2018 after retiring from service two years earlier to serve as the director-general of the service.

 

Continue Reading

News

Emirates Suspends All Flights To Nigeria From September 1

Published

on

By

There are indications that the failure of Emirates Airlines to repatriate its trapped ticket sales fund in Nigeria back to its home country in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) may have led to the carrier’s decision to stop all flights in and out of the country.

The airline in a statement on Thursday morning said that it would suspend flights from Nigeria effective September 1, 2022.

At least, $600 million of over 20 foreign airlines has been blocked in Nigeria since the beginning of the year.

Emirates had about two weeks ago said that out of these funds, it had about $85 million in Nigeria.

The airline had on Monday cut its 11 weekly frequencies into Lagos Airport to just seven.

A statement by the media consultant to the airline in Nigeria alleged that all efforts to repatriate the funds had proved abortive and it was compelled to take the decision of suspending all flights into the country.

The airline’s statement on Thursday said: ”Emirates has tried every avenue to address our ongoing challenges in repatriating funds from Nigeria, and we have made considerable efforts to initiate dialogue with the relevant authorities for their urgent intervention to help find a viable solution.

”Regrettably, there has been no progress. Therefore, Emirates has taken the difficult decision to suspend all flights to and from Nigeria, effective September 1 2022, to limit further losses and impact on our operational costs that continue to accumulate in the market.

”We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to our customers, however the circumstances are beyond our control at this stage. We will be working to help impacted customers make alternative travel arrangements wherever possible.

”Should there be any positive developments in the coming days regarding Emirates’ blocked funds in Nigeria, we will of course re-evaluate our decision. We remain keen to serve Nigeria, and our operations provide much needed connectivity for Nigerian travellers, providing access to trade and tourism opportunities to Dubai and to our broader network of over 130 destinations.”

Continue Reading

News

Jigawa Govt Shuts Schools Over Security Threats

Published

on

By

The Jigawa State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all public and private schools in the state over security threats.

State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Lawan Yunusa Danzomo disclosed this to newsmen in his office.

Danzomo explained that the directive is not peculiar to Jigawa State but all the states, especially the border states.

DAILY POST learnt that the state government had directed the immediate closure of all primary and secondary schools without further delay while the students were taking their terminal examinations.

The sudden closure has caused panicking among residents, students and teachers.

A headmaster confided in DAILY POST that they were asked to shut down the schools and release the students immediately.

He said the directive came while the students are writing their examinations a few days before the normal closing date.

DAILY POST had also observed that most of the students, especially boarding schools were left stranded after closure of the schools.

Police spokesperson in Jigawa, Lawan Shiisu Adam, said the police command in the state did not order the closure of the schools, and the Ministry of Education has not briefed the command on what led to the sudden closure.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: