Lewis Hamilton is “disillusioned” and will never get over the events of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, says Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff.
Hamilton was “robbed” of the title and the decisions made over a late-race safety car “still feel like a nightmare”, Wolff said.
Wolff said he could not guarantee if Hamilton would continue to race in F1.
“As a racer, his heart will say: ‘I need to continue’ because he’s at the peak of his game,” Wolff said.
“But we have to overcome the pain that was caused upon him.
“I am in a daily dialogue with him. But there is not a lot to talk (about) at the moment. Each of us copes in their own way with the feelings we have at the moment.
“I just need to do the utmost I can to help him to overcome the feelings that he has in order for him to return strong with a love of the sport and trust in the decision-making of the sport next year.
Mercedes decided on Thursday not to pursue their appeal against the results of the race, after governing body the FIA pledged to conduct a thorough review of what happened and to “learn lessons”.
Wolff said Mercedes would “hold the FIA to account” but he had “confidence, trust and faith” that the teams and drivers could work with the governing body to create a “more robust decision-making process”.
He said that Mercedes believed they would have won their case on pure legal grounds but they did not think the FIA court of appeal would reach the right judgement.
“The FIA can’t really mark their own homework,” Wolff said. “There is a difference between being right and obtaining justice.
“It is going to take a long time for us to digest what has happened on Sunday. I don’t think we will ever get over it. That’s not possible. And certainly not as a driver.”
Hamilton and Wolff are boycotting the official FIA World Championship prize-giving ceremony being held by the FIA in Paris on Thursday.
The constructors’ championship trophy will be accepted by chief technical officer James Allison.
Why are Hamilton and Wolff so upset?
Max Verstappen’s Red Bull overtook Hamilton’s Mercedes on the last lap of the race to clinch the drivers’ title after rules were not applied properly by race director Michael Masi during a safety-car period.
Wolff accused Masi of “a freestyle reading of the rules and it left Lewis like a sitting duck”, adding: “Robbing him in the last lap of the race is unacceptable.”
Wolff said he was “not interested in having a conversation with Michael Masi”.
He added: “It’s not only a decision to change the race director; the whole system of decision-making needs to be improved. The race director is certainly under big pressure and some of that is due to our own faults.”
Wolff said he “wished” there had been more “consistency” in decision-making throughout the 2021 F1 season so the sport could have “avoided many of the controversies throughout the year”.
He added the decisions around the safety car on Sunday “had the biggest impact and from a sporting perspective a catastrophic impact because it decided the World Championship”.
Wolff accepted that team principals should not be able to talk directly to the race director during a grand prix – both Wolff and Red Bull team boss Christian Horner radioed Masi to put their case for certain decisions to be taken.
Masi made the decisive – and controversial – calls to let only some lapped cars through past the leaders and on the timing of the removal of the safety car shortly after Horner said to him: “You only need one racing lap.”
Wolff emphasised that he had nothing against Verstappen or Red Bull.
“This situation is nothing to do with Max,” Wolff said. “He is a worthy champion, his driving is exceptional and Red Bull are a fierce competitor. And I have the greatest respect of the people working there. This has nothing to do with them.”
The Austrian added: “We cannot continue in a sport that is meant to be sport followed by entertainment and not the other way around.
“The consistency of the rules is important and no decision should happen contrary to the rules just to spice up the action.
“There need to be clear measures in place before the start of the season so every driver and team and the fans understand what is on and not on.”
BBC, Getty Images, CNN
Lewis Hamilton Was Given Surprising Advice For F1 Career: ‘Should Go To Red Bull!’
LEWIS HAMILTON was given surprising career advice as Eddie Jordan suggested the Briton should join Red Bull.
Lewis Hamilton will return to Formula 1 next season despite his anger over last season’s final race, Martin Brundle has said. The Mercedes man is said to be still furious with the FIA after a controversial decision from race director Michael Masi helped Max Verstappen win his first world title on the last lap. In a special edition of The F1 Show titled Abu Dhabi: One Month On, Brundle was asked whether Hamilton and Mercedes could consider leaving F1 ‒ but was adamant in his response.
He said: “Absolutely not, I don’t buy any of it to be honest.
“I’m sure Toto has been asked by Lewis, ‘what are you doing about this?’ But Formula 1 is fantastically successful for the Mercedes-Benz brand, while Lewis is 37 years old and we know he’s driving at his peak, incredibly determined and competitive.
“He’ll be back.”
While Hamilton has enjoyed dominance at Mercedes since 2014, this hasn’t stopped speculation around his future.
Lewis Hamilton news:
In 2020, Eddie Jordan suggested Hamilton should make the move to Red Bull.
He said: “I personally believe Lewis should go to Red Bull and not to Ferrari.”
When asked in 2020 about the prospect of Hamilton joining Red Bull, Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said “never say never”.
He added: “Never say never. I’ve seen crazier things in my life.
“But I don’t see why Lewis would do that.
“He has a very strong personal bond with the Mercedes brand and the team that he helped to create.
Lewis Hamilton news:
“At the moment we are giving him the best car and we have mutual trust in each other. We still have successful times ahead of us.
“I do not believe such a move for him would be rationally understandable.”
The Mercedes boss has also commented on Hamilton’s future this weekend, saying it would be a “disgrace” if the seven-time world champion didn’t continue in Formula 1.
Wolff told Kronen Zeitung: “I really hope we see him again. It would be a disgrace for the whole of F1 if the best driver decided to retire because of outrageous decisions.”
He added: “No matter what obstacle has been thrown at him, he has known all his life that he has to [do] his talking on the track.
“But it is incredibly difficult for him, until he has found a way between understanding what is right and what is wrong. That just takes time.”
The FIA’s investigation findings are set to be released just two days before the first race of the 2022 season, meaning the furore around last season’s finale is likely to remain a hot topic going into Bahrain.
On the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Wolff added: “That will never be forgotten. Because what happened to Lewis was just wrong.
“He was unbeatable that day, until race control blew its fuses. They committed three violations of the rules. That’s just hard to understand.
“It will always follow us ‒ although Max Verstappen was a worthy world champion over the season. But that day, one was better than the other ‒ and they didn’t win.”
Despite the fortune that came Verstappen’s way, he has received many plaudits for his performances last season.
The Dutchman was praised this week by his former teammate Alex Albon, who lauded Verstappen’s mental strength.
He told motorsport-total.com: “More than anything, I was surprised by his ability not to worry.
“Mentally he’s incredible. He just drives the car and doesn’t think about the consequences or anything else that’s going on. That inspired me.
“If [Max] finished behind Lewis, he would say ‘okay, it doesn’t matter’. If he led a race or won a race, it was also ‘okay, whatever’.
“I admire that because it’s not easy to be in the limelight as much as he is.”
Lewis Hamilton: CNN Sends Birthday Message To The ‘Greatest F1 Driver Ever’
Lewis Hamilton: CNN Has Sent Birthday Message To the ‘Greatest Car Racer Ever’.
Congratulations is in order for Sir Lewis Hamilton as he adds a year today. And as birthday wishes pour in from all over the world for the ‘best F1 driver of all time, CityNews Nigeria(CNN) has joined in the celebration by saying ‘ Happy Birthday Sir Lewis Hamilton,We Love You,Continue To Shine….Ahoy Brother.
AFCON 2021: ‘I see terrorists bombing stadium in Cameroon’ – Prophet
Prophet Nigel Gaisie of the True Word Fire Prophetic Ministries has warned of a terrorist attack during the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, in Cameroon.
Gaisie disclosed that he foresaw terrorists detonating explosives in a stadium during the AFCON tournament.
Addressing his members, the Ghanaian-based prophet urged participating countries to be prayerful in averting disaster during the tournament in Cameroon.
According to Prophet Gaisie: “This is an international prophecy. The Lord carried my spirit into a place like Cameroon concerning the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.
“I saw something like players standing on a stretcher and they were in pain as some of them were crying.
“Let the nation Cameroon pray and any other qualified team also do same because I’m seeing something like a terrorist attack and explosive attacks.
“I’m seeing that something happened at the stadium and the whole place was in disorder and people died.”
DAILY POST recalls that the Ghanaian government had cautioned pastors against issuing prophecies that would cause panic and fear.
The 2021 AFCON being hosted in Cameroon will commence on Sunday, January 9, 2022.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Super Eagles had arrived in Cameroon ahead of the commencement of the tournament.
Super Eagles of Nigeria had arrived in Garoua, Cameroon on Thursday.
‘I’ll never leave you’ — Fani-Kayode hails Ghanaian wife on her birthday
BREAKING: Osinbajo meets state governors over fuel subsidy, launches COVID-19 stimulus program
LASOMP Congratulates Rasheed Bolarinwa As He Emerges ACAMB President
Police Arrest Suspect Over Disappearance Of 35-year-old Woman In Lagos
Latest NPower News On Stipends Payment For Today Thursday 20th January 2022
Fuel Subsidy Removal: We’ll Engage Organised Labour – NGF
Electoral Bill: NASS Bows To Buhari, Approves Direct, Indirect Primaries For Parties
Rasheed Bolarinwa Elected As ACAMB President
Osun 2022: Family At War As Governorship Ambition Tears Senator Ademola and Dele Adeleke Apart
PVCs: Tinubu Tenders Apology Over Misleading Claim
Politics2 days ago
Breaking: Former Lagos State Governor, Ambode Breaks Long Silence…
News2 days ago
Nigerian-born Canadian minister suspended for calling police chief over traffic ticket
Opinions2 days ago
Principled Political Choices Are Not Betrayal – Babafemi Ojudu
News24 hours ago
Court Orders FG To Pay Nnamdi Kanu N1bn, Recommends Political Solution
News19 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Acquires Two 330kmph Speed Trains For Red Line Metro (Photos, Video)
News2 days ago
I don’t want to see Nnamdi Kanu in this attire again —Judge to DSS
News1 day ago
N20bn: Tinubu, Alpha Beta ex-MD Consider Out-of-court Settlement
News2 days ago
Lagos Commercial Bus Operators To Pay N292,000 Annually Fee To State Government