Connect with us

News

Whoever Does Not Accept My Leadership Will Leave PDP — Obaseki Vows

Published

on

Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo state has vowed to remain in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the platform on which he won his re-election in 2020.

Obaseki said: “I will not leave PDP. I am the leader of PDP and by the grace of God, I will lead PDP well. Anybody that doesn’t want me to lead or does not want to accept my leadership will leave PDP for me.”

He spoke just as Edo PDP ratified the suspension of the National South-South Vice Chairman, Chief Dan Orbih, Member of the House of Representatives for Oredo Federal Constituency, Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama; Edo State PDP Secretary, Hillary Otsu; PDP Chairman for Oredo Council, Oduwa Igbinosun, and Chairman of PDP in Oredo Ward Four, Friday Enaruna.

The five national, state and local government officers’ suspension was ratified by PDP leaders from the state’s 18 LGAs and three senatorial districts at an expanded meeting of the party leaders in Benin, the state capital.

Governor Obaseki said: “There are people who have continued to feed you with lies. That is the nature of their politics, if there is no confusion they will not eat.

“Last year, when we joined you, we started a movement that has never happened in Edo before not even in our politics.

“If we go for election today, we will win by 85 percent. It means we don’t have meaningful opposition and if this is the situation, we should not create opposition inside.

“We are here to stay and invest in PDP. I am the Governor to join PDP last; and I was made Chairman of our e-registration process, so why should I leave the party?

“We came to meet PDP as a solid party, the only true party in this country while others are special purpose vehicles for elections.

“I said come let us harmonise and the harmonisation is to carry everybody along. We don’t need to lie in politics. Politics is a game of numbers.

“For one year I have been begging for us to harmonise, went round when we wanted to make appointments and the number of applications, we have been almost the same number with the petition we received, it shows we have not harmonised.

“I call all of you leaders of the party to come together to build a solid party. We won our election last year because of our cooperation.

“United will stand and divided we fall. We have been in PDP now for over a year.

“We can’t escape from harmonization if we want to go to the National Convention. I have almost 300 to 400 political appointments I want to make.

“People are greedy, politics is all about give and take. I appreciate PDP, we came, we won, we are not leaving PDP, will not accept any opposition within PDP, if you are not happy with my leadership, you can leave us.

“Let’s all of us harmonise, some local governments have done theirs, while some are still far behind.

“By this weekend, please complete the harmonization. I am here to assure you that there is something for everyone that has worked for us and continues to work for us.

“The important thing is for us to continue to grow our party.”

The motion ratifying their suspension was moved by Mike Nosa-Ehima, a PDP leader from Oredo LGA; and he was seconded by Sylvanus Eruaga from Etsako West LGA.

In moving the motion before the gathering of party leaders, Nosa-Ehima said: “All those that have refused to allow the party to grow are being suspended in the interest of the PDP.”

 

 

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

EndSARS: CNN, Amnesty International Must Apologise To FG -Lai Mohammed

Published

on

By

The Federal Government has demanded an apology from Amnesty International, CNN and DJ Switch for misleading the world that there was a massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate on Oct. 20, 2020.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed made this demand on the occasion of the first year anniversary of the famous #EndSARS protests in Nigeria.

According to the Minister who spoke during a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday, CNN, Amnesty, and DJ Switch are all guilty of spreading fake news.

Mohammed maintained that there was no massacre of Nigerian youths at the Lekki Toll Gate incident during the protest last year and the trio mentioned only gave false and misleading reports.

The Minister insisted a professional analysis of what transpired at the Lekki Toll Gate revealed that the military didn’t massacre anyone while if truly there was any killing as widely reported, the families of the victims and those affected would have appeared with evidence before the Judicial Panel of Inquiry.

Not done, Lai Mohammed further accused the trio of spreading ‘tales by moonlight’ about what he described as the phantom killings at the Lekki Toll Gate during the EndSARS protests last year.

He said: “…During the sitting, CNN was summoned but it never showed up, thus missing a great opportunity to prove its allegation of massacre at the toll gate. Also, Amnesty International had a golden opportunity to convince the world, but it rather opted for issuing meaningless press releases.”

“In its latest attempt to grasp at straws and redeem whatever is left of its battered credibility on this issue, CNN has continued with its baseless report that soldiers shot at protesters. In a report currently running on the network, CNN brazenly and unashamedly held on to its flawed narrative, relying on an unidentified mother whose son was reportedly shot dead at Lekki, but without convincing evidence of who shot him dead. The same CNN that tweeted on Oct. 23rd 2020 that 38 people were shot dead at Lekki is now struggling to convince the world that one boy was killed at Lekki. What a shame!”

“The testimony of ballistic experts before the Judicial Panel of Inquiry in Lagos contradicts the tales by the moonlight by Amnesty International, CNN, a runaway DJ, and their ilk.”

 

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Police Arrest #EndSARSMemorial Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

By

Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command have arrested two protesters at the Lekki tollgate where the #EndSARS Memorial Protest is scheduled to hold in the state today.

One of those arrested claimed to be a journalist while the other was seen carrying a placard.

The police had reportedly warned that anyone seen at the tollgate without an ID card will be arrested.

The arrested journalist told newsmen that he works with LegitTV and that his phone, driver’s license and other documents were taken away from him.

Speaking from a Lagos State Task Force van where he was kept by the police, the journalist who identified himself as Abisola stated that he lost his ID card in transit.

About 30 police trucks and armed personnel are currently at the tollgate to enforce a ban on protests issued by the police command.

A car procession in honour of those believed to have lost their lives at the tollgate when soldiers dispersed #EndSARS protesters on October 20, 2020, is scheduled to hold at the tollgate today.

What #EndSARS protests were about

The #EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad, a unit of the Nigeria Police Force which was accused of police brutality.

The epicentre of the protests was the Lekki tollgate in Lagos where many youths gathered day and night to air their grievances against police brutality and bad governance.

They were dispersed from the location by gun-wielding soldiers on October 20, 2020, an action which some quarters believe led to the loss of lives.

This was followed by the destruction of private and public properties by hoodlums in Lagos, an incident that informed the latest warning issued by the police in the state.

PUNCH

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Police Threaten To Punish Inspector For Voting At APC Congress

Published

on

By

The Zone 1 Command of the Nigeria Police Force, Kano, on Tuesday said its attention had been drawn to a trending picture on the social media, of a police inspector casting his vote at the Kano State congress of the All Progressives Congress alongside his principal, the state party chairman, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas.

A statement by the Zonal Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Ambursa, added that the inspector had been identified as Bashir Mohammed of the Special Protection Unit, Base 1, Kano.

According to the statement, the Inspector is attached to the Government House, Kano, from where he was deployed to work with Abbas as a security aide.

“In view of this seemingly unprofessional conduct of the inspector, the AIG (Assistant Inspector General of Police) has referred the matter to the Zonal X-Squad for investigation.

“If the inspector is found to have committed the offence, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against him,” the statement said.

The police assured members of the public that further development on the matter would be communicated.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: