News
Stakeholders ‘Pick Holes’ In Buhari’s United Nations Address, Say Speech Was Disappointing
JomogNews Nigeria reports that, controversy has continued to trail President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech at the just concluded 76th United Nations General Assembly, UNGA, in New York, United States of America.
According to DAILY POST, the president last week Friday, addressed world leaders which captured some crisis currently rocking the country, West Africa and the entire continent.
On Coronavirus, President Buhari, during the speech, told UN that his administration built hospitals across Nigeria to fight the spread of the pandemic which ravaged the entire world in 2020.
“We built isolation centres and emergency hospital wards in record time all over the country. We carry out genomic sequencing in designated laboratories across the country with a view to detecting variants in circulation”, the president had said.
On the security menace bedeviling the entire nation, the Nigerian leader during the meeting, claimed that his government was addressing the challenges of terrorism and banditry currently bedeviling the Northern parts of the country.
“Nigeria has spared no effort in addressing the challenges of terrorism posed by the activities of Boko Haram in North-East Nigeria and the Lake Chad region, as well as banditry in the North-West and North-Central Nigeria. The Nigerian Security Forces have recorded considerable success in the fight against terrorism. As a result of the renewed vigour of our military, many terrorist fighters are voluntarily surrendering to our security forces,”he said.
Amid the backlash in Nigeria over his numerous loan requests in the past few years, President Buhari, during the speech, appealed to ”rich nations” and international financial institutions for outright debt cancellation for countries facing financial crisis birthed by COVID-19 pandemic.
Buhari particularly urged the G20 countries to extend their debt suspension initiatives to all developing countries currently facing fiscal and liquidity challenges.
However, the speech has triggered backlash from concerned Nigerians as some accused the president of diverting from the security and economic reality of the country.
Reacting, the National Coordinator of the Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, HURIWA, Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko in a chat with DAILY POST on Sunday, said the president’s speech lacked truth.
According to him, “In as much as we wouldn’t like to join words with Mr. President pertaining to his opinion about some improvements in security across board, we want to humbly disagree with our President on the ground that insecurity isn’t so much about physical violence but the greatest kind of insecurity is economic insecurity which gives rise to other branches of security challenges such as security of lives and property”.
He further stated that Buhari should rather tell Nigerians how many suspected “murderers and terrorists that have been arrested successfully and how many Fulani herdsmen have been jailed”.
Similarly, the Nigerian representative at the African Youth Union Commission, AYUC, Aina Segun Aina, told DAILY POST in Abuja that the president was expected to solicit for help from the world leaders due to his failure to tackle the current security challenges.
“We need all the support we can get at this time and that’s what we expect our Government to be soliciting for at this particular point in time especially during Mr President’s presentation to world leaders at the just-concluded UN General Assembly.
“The world today cannot afford a humanitarian crisis of 200 million people and therefore must be drafted into the situation in Nigeria in terms of security sophistication, technology and intelligence gathering including economic and social development generally”, he said.
DAILY POST reports that President Buhari’s speech came when some activists, particularly the Yoruba Nation’s agitator and other activists led by the former presidential aide, Reno Omokri stormed the Abuja House in New York to protest bad governance in Nigeria.
Pro- and anti-Buhari protests were constant features throughout the duration of President Buhari’s participation at the programme. They allegedly clashed on Friday while the president was giving his speech.
It was alleged that the pro-government protesters who congregated under the name of “One Nigeria” were Black Americans who were allegedly hired to counter the other protesters.
Reacting to the protest, a lecturer at the Benue State University, Makurdi who pleaded not to be mentioned, told DAILY POST on phone that President Buhari “only knows how to bring shame to Nigeria.
“Imagine the show of shame in New York on Friday when the whole world was watching and leaders of nations of the earth were present. When I watched the video online, I was ashamed of myself, Nigeria has been registered as a country with bad governance where citizens can’t keep quiet anymore.
“I just hope that the president and his cabals would learn from that drama and do the needful,” he said.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News8 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News4 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment5 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
