Connect with us

News

Sanwo-Olu Security Disarms Gang Of Traffic Robbers At Ojota (Photos)

Published

on

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s security detail on Monday arrested a gang of suspected traffic robbers who specialises in attacking motorists and road users in the Ojota area of Lagos state.

These machete-wielding suspects were arrested while attempting to rob a motorist.

Help however came the way of the helpless motorist as the passing by convoy of the Governor, intercepted the robbery act, rescuing the victim from the three machete-wielding criminals who were at the time, trying to forcefully drag him out of his vehicle.

The security personnel attached to the governor immediately, swooped on the suspects on the order of Sanwo-Olu, and retrieved the dangerous weapons from them, arresting the three of them in the process.

Sanwo-Olu who stated after the arrest of the suspect that the exercise was a strong warning signal to other criminal elements and prospective traffic robbers in Lagos that there is no hiding place for them and their likes in the state.

Recall that Governor Sanwo-Olu, while handing over security equipment purchased by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund, LSSTF, to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, for the use of Lagos Police Command, on Thursday June 10, assured residents that there would be no hiding place for criminals in the State.

His words: “We are determined to stabilise the security situation in Lagos State, as our own contribution toward lasting national security.

“Let me also use this opportunity to sound a note of warning to all criminals who are operating in Lagos State or planning to operate here; all armed robbers, kidnappers, cultists, bandits, and other criminals, we will leave no stone unturned in making this State inhospitable to you.

“We will find you, wherever you may be lurking and we will bring the full weight of the law on you.”

The brand new crime-fighting equipment donated to the Lagos State Police Command were; 150 Double Cabin Vehicles, 30 Saloon Patrol Vehicles, 1,000 Ballistic Vests; 1,000 Ballistic Helmets, 1,000 Handheld Police Radios/Walkie-Talkies, 100 Security Patrol Bikes; two Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs), four High Capacity Troop Carriers and two Anti-Riot Water Cannon Vehicles.

 

 

 

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Breaking: Court Frees Sunday Ighoho’s 12 Aides On Bail

Published

on

By

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court in Abuja has ruled that the detained 12 associates of the advocates for Yoruba nation, Chief Sunday Adeyemo popuplarly known as SundayIgboho be granted bail immediately.

 

Justice Egwuatu after  entertaining arguments from lawyers to the applicants and the Department of State Services (DSS) that is detaining them ordered that they be released on bail.

Applicants’ lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi had prayed the court to allow his clients on bail, noting that they have been in DSS’ custody for over 30 days.

 

 

Justice Egwuatu said that the detainees are entitled to bail by the provisions of the Nigerian law having been held in custody beyond the period stipulated by law.

The judge said that the law even frowned at a situation where citizens’ liberty is curtailed under unlawful circumstances.

The suspects were granted bail on various conditions and will remain in the DSS detention until their bail conditions are perfected,Jomog.com reports.

DSS’ lawyer, Idowu Awo had earlier said he was not opposed to the court granting bail to eight of the detainees, but would oppose bail for the other four, who were still being investigated in relation to their complicity in Igboho’s alleged arm stockpiling offence.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Court Hears Igboho’s N5bn Suit Against Malami, DSS Today

Published

on

By

The Oyo State High Court sitting in Ibadan has fixed August 4 for the suit filed by Yoruba Nation activist, Chief Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho, for an injunction to stop his arrest.

Igboho had through his counsel, Chief Yomi Aliyyu ( SAN), filed an application before the court asking for N5bn damages for the destruction of his cars and residence in Ibadan during the July 1 raid on his residence by the Department of State Services.

He also asked the court to stop the Attorney General of the Federation, DSS and other security agencies from arresting him or infringing on his fundamental human rights.

Igboho’s counsel told our correspondent in a chat that the application would be moved before the court on August 4.

He said, “On August 4, at the High Court 7 of Oyo State, we will moved for an order of interim injunction pending the hearing of the main suit for an order restraining the AGFand DSS from further breach of the applicant’s fundamental human rights.

Igboho had prayed for, “An order of injunction restraining the respondents, their agents, privies and associates in other security forces and/or anybody acting on their behalf and/or instructions from arresting, detaining, molesting, harassing and/or in any way interfering with his to personal liberty, freedom of movement of Chief Sunday Adeyemo Sunday Igboho, enjoyment of his property without fear of invasion of his home by the respondents and their agents,” among others.

 

Source: ThePUNCH

 

Continue Reading

News

Court Orders EFCC To Unfreeze Dokpesi’s Account, Release Seized Documents

Published

on

By

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Abuja, Justice John Tsoho, on Tuesday issued an order unfreezing the N2.1 billion bank account of the founder of Daar Communications Plc, Chief Raymond Dokpesi.

Delivering a ruling in an application filed and argued by Kanu Agabi SAN on behalf of Dokpesi, Justice Tsoho said that the federal government has no basis to put a post no debit order on the account in view of the subsisting and valid order of the Court of Appeal.

Justice Tsoho ordered that the account domiciled at First Bank of Nigeria be immediately unfreezed since the criminal charges, which precipitated the restriction on the account had been dismissed and Dokpesi discharged and acquitted by the Court of Appeal.

Delivering ruling in an application filed and argued by Kanu Agabi SAN, on behalf of Dokpesi, Justice Tsoho said that the Federal Government has no basis to put a post-no-debit order on the account in view of the subsisting and valid order of the Court of Appeal.

Justice Tsoho delivered judgment after taking arguments from Dokpesi’s lawyer, Kanu Agabi, SAN and counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Oluwaleke Atolagbe.

The Chief Judge held that since the Court of Appeal delivered the judgment that invalidated the criminal charges against Dokpesi, the EFCC had not applied for stay of execution of the judgment.

Justice Tsoho said that in the absence of a stay of execution, his court was bound by law to give effect and implementation to the judgment.

He thereafter ordered that the freeze order and post-no-debit on the account be immediately removed in compliance with the appellate court’s decision.

On the claim of EFCC that it has gone on appeal to the Supreme Court, Justice Tsoho held that the notice of appeal filed at the apex court cannot in law stay the execution of the subsisting judgment adding that the anti graft agency ought to have obtained a stay of execution of the judgment.

He also ordered that all documents seized from Dokpesi or voluntarily surrendered to the Federal Government be immediately returned to him.

Atolagbe, in a bid to convince the judge, had drawn the attention of the court that the Department of State Services, DSS, and National Intelligence Agency, NIA, made respondents in the matter, did not appear before the court and as such the court can not make valid order against them.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: