Connect with us

Security & Crime

Lagos: Police intensifies onslaught on cultists and gangsters in…185 suspects arrested in Ikorodu and environs

Published

on

Two weeks ago, the Commissioner of Police Lagos State Command, CP Hakeem Odumosu psc has ordered the deployment of Special forces from the Command’s tactical units to Ikorodu and environs to tackle the menace of cultism and gang violence. Operatives of the Special Strike Force on Social Miscreants took the battle to the cultists dens at Ikorodu, Ipakodo, Igbogbo, Ibeshe, Shagamu road, Agbowa, among others. The Operation, which is intelligence driven targeted top leaders and members of various cults and gangs. Rival cult groups, especially in Ikorodu area, have in the last few weeks engaged themselves in supremacy battle with resultant death from both sides. Operatives of the Special Strike Force were given clear instructions to reclaim and dominate the public spaces and ensure that no cult groups or gangs operate in any part of Lagos State.

The Strike Force has so far arrested 185 notorious cultists and recovered 8 locally made pistols and other dangerous weapons from them. Suspects arrested confessed to belong to Eiye, Aiye, KK, Buccaneers, Vikings confraternities, among others. One Gbadamosi Mohammed ‘m’ 30 years old, suspected to be among the cultists who killed one Madariola Sunday ‘m’ at Ibeshe on 21/5/2020 was among the suspects arrested.

Also arrested are Onibudo Afeex ‘m’, Habeeb Isa ‘m’, Felix Igwoke ‘m’, Taiwo Iyanu ‘m’ at Femi Taiwo Street, Ikorodu. They were arrested in an uncompleted building holding cult meeting. One Adeoye Daya ‘m’ 25 years old, a hit man of Aiye confraternity was arrested at Ikorodu garage with one locally made short gun and rounds of live cartridges. One Shodeinde Tosin ‘m’ a hit man of Eiye confraternity in Igbogbo was also arrested with a locally made short gun.

The Operations will be sustained in all parts of the State until those criminal gangs are totally defeated. The suspects will be charged to Court

Meanwhile, a woman was arrested for stabbing her neighbour over a minor misunderstanding

On 30/05/2020 at about 2015 hours, Bariga Police Station received a distress call that one Favour Tochuchuwu ‘f’ 34 years old of Alhaji Alimi Street, Bariga was assaulted and stabbed with a kitchen knife in two places on her back by her neighbour, Joy Asoya ‘f’ 32 years old, over a minor quarrel. The victim was rushed to Lagos island hospital in company of her husband, where she was admitted.

The suspect was arrested and she confessed to the commission of the offence. The knife was recovered by detectives. Investigation is ongoing, the suspect will be charged to Court at the conclusion of the investigation.

DSP Bala Elkana,
Police Public Relat

Security & Crime

Gunmen Defy Curfew, Kill 18 In Fresh Benue Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be bandits invaded Mbacher community in Mbacher Council Ward, Katsina-Ala Local Government Area of Benue State on Friday night, killing 18 people.

Sources from the local government told our correspondent that the attack took place around 11:00 pm, despite the curfew imposed by the state government.

The bandits were said to have gathered the villagers under the pretense of addressing them before opening fire.

Recall that the Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia, had two weeks ago imposed a 6:00 pm to 6:00 am curfew in the Sankera axis following a violent protest in Ukum LGA. The Sankera axis, comprising Katsina-Ala, Ukum, and Logo, has been a hotspot for criminal activities in the state.

The source further disclosed that 18 bodies were recovered by the military on Saturday morning.

Confirming the incident, the Chairman of Katsina-Ala LGA, Justine Shaku, said the bandits had completed their attack before the military could arrive.

“At about 11:00 pm yesterday (Friday), we received a distress call from the villagers that a group of terrorists were moving from house to house, forcing people to follow them.

“I quickly mobilized the military officers in Tor Doonga, but due to the remote location, the attack was over by the time they arrived,” Shaku stated.

Shaku also mentioned that several people were wounded during the attack.

“I was told it was 17, but today 18 people have been confirmed dead. All of them were assembled in one place and killed,” he added.

The council chairman described the activities of the gunmen as “local terrorism”, noting that their tactics resemble guerrilla warfare.

“I no longer call them bandits because I’m seeing elements of terrorism in their activities.

“They are terrorists within, though they have external forces aiding them. The locals are the major perpetrators,” Shaku added.

Efforts to reach the Police Public Relations Officer, Catherine Anene, were unsuccessful as her phone rang out.

However, the Special Adviser on Security and Internal Affairs to Governor Hyacinth Alia, Joseph Har, confirmed the incident.

Continue Reading

Security & Crime

Alleged Witchcraft: Pastor, Two Others Remanded For Dehumanizing 90-Year-Old Woman, Others

Published

on

By

The Edo State Police Command says it has arrested a pastor and one other for alleged dehumanization and brutalization of a 90-year-old, Adishetu Atairu, the Chief Imam of Ofukpo-Ekperi community in Etsako Central Local Government of Edo State and six others.

According to the Daily Post, the Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Chidi Nwabuzor, confirmed the suspects’ arrest to journalists in Benin City on Thursday.

According to him, “The incident is confirmed, the police are aware of it. The Pastor and one other person have been arrested and they are in police custody. The suspects have been charged to court.”

The victims’ alleged dehumanization and brutalization were captured on video and went viral on WhatsApp and Facebook.

The clip, which depicted a throng at night, was believed to have been led by a man simply known as Pastor Sharp-Sharp.

In one of the viral clips, a young man, Adishetu Atairu, was shown brutalizing an elderly woman in her 90s, Musa Shaibu, the community’s Imam, and six others.

In the footage, an old woman with a walking stick is pulled to the centre of the mob, with a young man calling for her to sit down.

In the video, the old woman was seen sitting on a chair, and Pastor Sharp-Sharp could be heard commanding her to sit on the floor, even as another young man kicked her knees, knocking her to the ground.

Another video showed the community’s Chief Imam sitting on the bare ground with a young man removing his cap.

It was also discovered that the same treatment was meted out to a Hijab-wearing young woman who the Pastor accused of murdering one Eshe and his wife using diabolical tactics.

Speaking about the incident, Abu Buhari, a neighbourhood resident, stated that it occurred on July 5, 2024, and that the Pastor and his accomplices dehumanized and beat the 90-year-old Adishetu Atairu, his stepmother, and others.

Buhari stated that the event was reported to the police, who asked them to file a petition.

He stated that following the petition, the preacher was detained by the Police Area Command Office in Agenebode, Etsako East local government, on July 17.

He did, however, urge the police and other relevant government institutions to intervene to prevent communal and religious conflicts in the state and bring the culprits to justice.

He added that his stepmother and the other victims who had been assaulted and dehumanized were still suffering.

The Edo Muslims for Equity and Good Governance (EMEGG) praised the Nigeria Police Force and other security personnel for intervening before the situation deteriorated.

Sirajudeen Muhammad, the group’s coordinator, told Muslims in Edo State and around the world that justice for those who have been humiliated will not be compromised. He also stated that the pastor and two others had been charged in court.

“We were at the court today and we will always be present at the court”, he stated.

He said the case has been adjourned to August 7, 2024, for a hearing.

Continue Reading

Security & Crime

End Of The Road For 9 Billionaire Kidnappers In Lagos

Published

on

By

After the arrest of the notorious kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly known as Evans in 2017 following his seven years of high-profile abductions across the country, during which he collected millions of dollars in ransoms, nobody knew that another dreaded gang would spring up soon after.

New tactics

This time around, this gang of daring kidnappers took over from him and concentrated more on the Centre of Excellence, Lagos. The gang members operated freely for over a year and specialised in targeting their victims who are usually stupendously rich and they end up collecting ransom in both naira and dollars.

Their areas of operation included Ago Palace Way, Isolo, Okota, the popular auto spare parts market, Ladipo; Festac and other environs. Police sources said they always disappear through the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, meander through the ever-busy Second Rainbow Bus stop and Apple Junction and end up in a yet-to-be-known enclave.

From here they will negotiate the ransom for their victim before relocating out of the city. The difference in their mode of operation is that apart from being based outside Lagos, they always insist in collecting not less than N1 billion or their victim will be killed. They also threaten to kill their victims should information about them leak to the police.

Waterloo

The good news at the moment is that the gang last week met its Waterloo in the Ladipo area of Lagos. This was after the gangsters targeted a very rich international businessman and were on the verge of kidnapping him. Their evil plot was foiled by eagle-eyed policemen from the Commissioner of Police Special Squad who confronted them and killed nine of them.

Recovered from them were four AK-47 rifles, four locally-made semi-automatic pistols, nine AK47 magazines, three walkie-talkies, one POS machine and a loudspeaker. Two of their operational vehicles: a black Toyota 4Runner and a blue Lexus RX350, were also recovered. However, two of the suspects narrowly escaped by disappearing into the large crowd keenly watching the shootout that ensued between the heavily armed kidnappers and the police.

Intelligence report received

The scenario which played out like a Hollywood movie was clinically executed by detectives from Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja who were reportedly drilled and selected by the Commissioner of Police, Adegoke Fayoade.

They had embarked on the assignment after receiving intelligence reports about the deadly operations of the gang of kidnappers in and around Lagos for a long. Remarkably, three Commissioners of Police during their respective tenures in the state also raised police teams to confront and neutralise the same gang but did not succeed in rounding them up. Rather, they only succeeded in curtailing their activities.

Records of kidnap cases

Police records showed that the gang made up of trigger-happy shooters kidnapped a businessman on April 10, 2023, in the Ikotun area of the state around 4 pm and the victim paid $8000 as ransom. The gang which in most cases, carried out its operations with a Lexus 350 SUV and 4 Runner jeep kidnapped another businessman same date around 11.30 pm at Ago Okota using the same vehicles and later collected a ransom of N5m.

On April 23, 2023, the gang struck again and this time, they went for a popular millionaire who sells assorted drinks at Ago Okota and kidnapped him.

He reportedly paid not less than a billion naira, but the family hid it from the police on account of threats from the kidnappers. The same thing happened to another rich businessman at Ikotun the same day as they were fleeing from the scene with their victim. The businessman was returning from his farm in Ogun State when they accosted and kidnapped him.

They later collected ransom in three tranches of $6000 and $3,600. They wrapped up their operation that day by abducting another businessman man few metres from the same area in Ikotun and he paid N8m as ransom.

Ransom payments galore

It was also gathered that on August 18, 2023, at Ago Palace Way, members of the gang kidnapped another businessman and collected N120m; the following day they struck at Gowon Estate and their victim paid an undisclosed huge amount of money before he was released.

Then, on November 29 same year, around 8.45 pm, they kidnapped another businessman at Apple Junction and collected N6m as ransom. Three days later, they abducted another businessman at Ikotun with the same operational vehicles and collected a ransom of N24m.

From there, they moved to Isolo and abducted another victim who reportedly paid a huge amount of money as ransom also.

Xmas bonus

While preparing for Christmas that year, they also struck at the popular Ladipo Auto Spare Parts market and collected N100 million from their male victim. The gang opened the New Year in 2024 by striking at Ikotun and collecting N120m from their victim.

Notably, while they were freely carrying out their operations, the police were on their trail and all efforts made to round them up failed. However, police sources said they continued to follow up on their trail and they discovered that they always carry out operations with a Toyota $ Runner Jeep and a Lexus 350 SUV.

It was also discovered that they always carried out their operations dressed in camouflage military uniform, and once they picked their victims, they took them out of Lagos and when they wanted to release them after payment of ransom, they dropped them at any point in Ogun State or in some cases at Governor’s Road, Ikotun.

Sources said that this trend continued and police were oblivious to their operations until an intelligence report informed detectives that the gang that left Lagos a long time ago was back and was using the same vehicles.

The source said they thought the coast was clear for them to operate after disappearing from Lagos for long. Their last criminal rendezvous took place at the ever-busy Ojekunle street inside Ladipo market where they had perfected plans to kidnap a very rich businessman in the market with the hope of collecting not less than N1b from him.

How the bubble bursts

Vanguard learned that a friend of the rich businessman was earlier kidnapped and he paid a huge amount of money. He reportedly confided in his friend that they were also planning to abduct him and their target is N1 billion.

Based on intelligence information, it was gathered that the Commissioner of Police personally mobilised specially trained operatives with skills in operational shooting and detailed the officer in charge of his special squad, CSP Kehinde Oni, to swing into action and confront the daredevil kidnappers frontally, banking on the concept of Silence, Speed and Surprise, SSS.

The showdown

Sources said as expected, the kidnappers arrived at the scene in their usual vehicles and on seeing a decoy placed by the detectives, they started shooting frantically, not knowing that the whole area was cordoned off by heavily armed policemen. The first shot they fired, according to sources, made detectives to identify them with their vehicles and a shootout that lasted for over three hours ensued.

During the intensive shooting that reverberated all over the area, nine of the kidnappers were neutralised while two escaped with bullet wounds by disappearing into the crowd. Reports said detectives avoided gunning the fleeing gang members so as not to hit the wrong targets. Bullets from the kidnappers’ weapons hit the engine of one police vehicle and also hit a policeman in the jaw. He had since been treated and discharged.

So far, detectives are on the trail of other fleeing members of the gang and they have concluded plans to raid their hideouts, including the homes of their dead kingpin whom information revealed was married to four wives and built mansions for them in one of the states in the South-Eastern part of the country.

SOURCE

Continue Reading

Trending