Connect with us

News

UK: Citizens Ban From Having Sex With Anyone They Don’t Live With During Lock Down

Published

on

UK citizens have been banned from having sex with anyone outside of their own household under new coronavirus lockdown legislation rolled out by the Government.

The UK government on Monday June 1, introduced new measures that ban people from socialising indoors with anyone not already in their household.

The new regulation reads: ‘No person may participate in a gathering which takes place in a public or private place indoors, and consists of two or more persons.’

Previously, anyone who goes inside another person’s home would be breaching the lockdown rules but now both persons could be prosecuted under the new amendment to the The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations 2020 bill, that was tabled before Parliament on Monday.

According to the new rules, only those with ‘reasonable excuses’ will be allowed to meet privately indoors, which does not include meeting up to have sex.

Reasonable excuses include jogging or exercising for elite athletes, movement of vulnerable people and key or essential workers.

Sex with someone you don

Other people that can give reasonable excuses include people that meet in a private space for childcare, separated parents who live in different households seeing their children,  people providing emergency assistance and those attending a funeral.

Police forces in the UK have been told to disperse any large groups and use fines and arrests ‘where appropriate’ as a last resort – but they can only ‘direct’ someone to go home and have ‘no powers’ to remove someone by force, the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and College of Policing have said in a joint paper.

Their advice to officers also makes clear that the new coronavirus guidelines /laws ‘provide no power of entry.’ Downing Street has also been clear that police do not have the power to enter gardens to check party numbers.

The new regulations comes after  a study by researchers at the universities of Anglia Ruskin and Ulster, showed six in 10 Britons have gone without having sexual activity during lockdown.

News

Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Arabic Inscriptions On Naira Notes

Published

on

By

Justices Yellin Bogoro of the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Tuesday, July 16, dismissed a suit by a Lagos-based lawyer, Malcom Omirhobo, challenging the use of Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes.

According to the judge, “the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is empowered by Section 53 (1) of the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act (BOFIA) to print, design and issue the currency and compels the need to establish bad faith before an action can be brought to challenge the act or omission of the Federal Government or the apex court.”

The court also held that the suit challenging the Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes failed to establish that the CBN’s powers were exercised in bad faith.

Omirhobo had filed the suit against the CBN in Jan. 2020 contending amongst other things that Arabic is not one of the four official languages of Nigeria namely English, Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. In the suit, the lawyer contended that Arabic is not indigenous to Nigeria and to have it on our country’s currency offends certain provisions of the Constitution.

The CBN, in its response, had filed a preliminary objection insisting that Omirhobo had no locus standi to file the matter. The bank also filed a defence.

Three other interested persons joined the suits as defendants, the Incorporated Trustees of the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), its Founder, Ishaq Akintola; and a Kebbi-based legal practitioner, Umar Kalgo.

Ruling on the case, Justice Bogoro first dismissed the CBN’s preliminary objection and held that Omirhobo had the locus standi to institute the action of being a taxpayer. The court also held that public interest actions must be encouraged.

The court, however, held that Omirhobo failed to prove that the CBN acted Mala Fide, in bad faith and accordingly dismissed the suit.

In his reaction to the judgment, Omirhobo said he had applied for a Certified True Copy of the judgement and would study the same to decide his next line of action.

The lawyer also said the court noted that Nigeria is a multi-ethnic and religious country and that no ethnic group or religion is superior to the other.

The lawyer claimed that the court held that Arabic is not Nigeria’s official Language and advised that for Nigerians to coexist in harmony, ‘perhaps it is time for the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Federal Government to remove the Arabic inscription on the N200, N500 and N1000 naira notes since it has been removed from the N5, N10, N50 and N100.’

Continue Reading

News

Kano: Gov Yusuf Reinstates Gaya Emir, Names Two Others For Karaye, Rano

Published

on

By

Kano State governor, Abba Yusuf has reinstated Emir of Gaya, Alhaji Aliyu Abdulkadir Gaya, and approved the appointment of two other second-class Emirs for Rano and Karaye.

According to a statement issued by the governor’s spokesperson, Sanusi Tofa, the new emirates are to serve as second with Kano as first-class emirate.

Yusuf named the newly appointed Alhaji Muhammad Karaye as the Emir of Karaye. He was the District Head of Rogo before his latest appointment.

Alhaji Muhammad Umar was named the Emir of Rano. He was the District Head of Bunkure before the latest appointment.

The statement added: “While congratulating the newly appointed Emirs, Governor Abba Yusuf enjoined them to be custodians of culture, peace, and unity of the people in their respective emirates.”

Recall that Governor Yusuf had on Tuesday signed into law three second class emirates in the state with Rano Emirate covering only Rano, Kibiya and Bunkure Local Government areas and Gaya Emirate covering only Gaya, Ajingi and Albasu Local Government areas while Karaye Emirate covers only Karaye and Rogo Local Government areas.

Continue Reading

News

Obasanjo, Ooni, Adeleke, Buratai, Oyinlola, Emir Of Biu, Others Storm Kuta For Olowu’s 60th Birthday

Published

on

By

The ancient town of Kuta was ago on Sunday as Olowu of Kuta, HRM Oba Dr Hameed Adekunle Makama Oyelude, CON, Tegbosun III, received dignitaries across Nigeria to celebrate his 60th birthday anniversary.

Prominent among the dignitaries were former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Governor Ademola Adeleke, former governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, former chief of army staff, Gen TY Buratai rtd who also doubles as Balogun Agba Akin of Kuta and the executive chairman of federal character commission, Dr Muheeba Dankaka.

Traditional rulers at the ceremony include Ooni of Ife, HIM Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Olowu of Owu (Abeokuta) Oba Prof Saka Matemilola, Timi of Ede, HRM Oba Munirudeen Lawal and Emir of Biu, Alhaji Midala Mustapha Umar amongst others.

Speaking earlier with journalists, Oba Makama said he was elated to receive the creme de lacreme of the society at his 60th birthday.

The revered monarch said his 60th birthday anniversary was put together by his admirers, friends, and well wishers across the country.

He, however, advised that traditional rulers should adhere strictly to their mandate as Custodian of culture and traditions, adding that Obas are not installed to be religious leaders.

The 60th birthday was preceded by a series of events like Olowu Marathon, Walk For Life, and Healthcare/ medical checkup.

There were also fireworks at the dot of 12.00am on Sunday to herald Olowu Kuta into his 60th birthday.

The Marquee Tent, which served as the venue of the ceremony, was filled to its capacity.

The Bonsue Fuji Crooner, Adewale Ayuba, was a delight to watch as he dished out good music, relishing his bonsue style as guests also appreciated him.

Gen Buratai,who is a personal friend and confidant of Olowu Kuta, said he’s delighted to be part of the celebration of the monarch who has distinguished himself as detrabilised Nigerian.

Governor Adeleke, in a statement issued by his spokesperson, Mallam Olawale Rasheed, commended Olowu Kuta “as a delightful example of devotion to the people”.

The statement read; “The Executive Governor of Osun State, Senator Ademola Adeleke has rejoiced with the Olowu of Kuta, HRM Oba Hameed Adekunle Makama Oyelude (Tegbosun III), on the auspicious occasion of his birthday, describing him as a delightful example of devotion to the people.”

Governor Adeleke, who acknowledges Oba Oyelude, sustained efforts in fostering peace and harmony in his domain, noted that the monarch’s open door policy and soft power approach has engendered unity among subjects.

The Governor lauds Oba Oyelude’s steadfast observation of culture and traditions, adding that the monarch continues to inspire a great deal of interest in Yoruba’s rich heritage through appearances and utterances.

“On this auspicious day, I congratulate HRM Oba Hameed Adekunle Makama Oyelude (Tegbosun III). Oba Oyelude is a striking pointer of what purposeful leadership should look like considering the profound impact of his influence on subjects and Kuta town,” the governor noted in a congratulatory message.

“As he turns 60 years today, I join every sons and daughters of Kuta to celebrate Kabiyesi, and commend him for the incredible leadership he exudes just as I honour his commitment to fostering peace and stability by promoting harmony in his domain.

“It is my prayer that God Almighty will grant Kabiyesi more celebrations in good health, strength and wisdom so that he can continue to offer impactful leadership and also to contribute to the promotion of Yoruba’s culture, traditions and values.”

Also, Prince Oyinlola said Olowu Kuta’s ascending into the throne of his forebears has brought development to the ancient town.

He, however, wished Oba Makama long life and prosperity, as he journeyed ahead in his mandate as Custodian of culture and traditions.
Other side attractions include ‘Iwure’ by Chief Yemi Elebuibon, ‘Oriki’ by Ajobiewe.

The Osun State cultural troupe was a delight to watch, while a northern group based in Kano entertained the guests with the melodious songs laced with Hausa-Fulani traditions.

Continue Reading

Trending