Connect with us

News

Man hires kidnappers, kills brother’s son after collecting N300000 ransom

Published

on

A 34-year-old man, Faruq Seidu, allegedly contracted three men to abduct his brother’s seven-year-old child, AbdulMalik Musa, and killed him after collecting a ransom of N300,000.

The deceased was reportedly kidnapped last Wednesday from his parents’ residence at Sabo Ilupeju, Abeokuta, Ogun State, by the syndicate in connivance with Seidu.

Seidu and the suspected kidnappers, Hassan Hussein, 30; Habib Nurah, 24; and Muhammed Bello, 42, were arrested by men of the state police command and paraded on Monday at the crime scene, beside the Ogun River, Lafenwa, Abeokuta, where the boy was allegedly strangled and thrown into the river.

The suspects took the police to the crime scene, where the remains of the boy were found floating on the water.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi, who paraded the suspects, described the incident as man’s inhumanity to a fellow man.

He said investigation revealed that Seidu contracted his three friends to execute the heinous act because of the refusal of his brother, the father of the deceased, Abdul-hammed Musa, to give him money to marry a third wife.

Oyeyemi explained that Seidu and his accomplices had initially demanded N5m ransom, but later reduced it to N300,000 due to the plea by the victim’s father.

According to the PPRO, the incident happened on December 11, 2019, when the parents reported at the Sabo Police Station in Ilupeju, Abeokuta, that the boy had been kidnapped.

Oyeyemi said AbdulMalik was killed because he recognised his uncle, Seidu, who was afraid of being exposed.

He stated, “This is a breakthrough in respect of an abduction and murder; what happened here is the height of man’s inhumanity to man.

“On December 11, 2019, a case of abduction was reported at the Sabo Division in Ilupeju, Abeokuta.

“About 24 hours later, the kidnappers made a request for N5m and we asked the family to play along with them and later they agreed to take N300,000 and after payment, they still killed the boy and threw his corpse in the river.

“I want to appeal to members of the public to trust nobody, because if a brother could do this to his brother, then who can be trusted?

“But, I want to sound a serious warning to criminals in the state and I will be borrowing from the words of the governor, who he said hell fire would be more conducive for criminals than Ogun State.”

The prime suspect, Seidu, claimed to be innocent of the crime.

“I never asked anyone to kidnap my brother’s son, I only saw this one (pointing to another suspect) with the boy on a motorcycle, but I never discussed anything with them; I only greeted them and left,” he stated.

Seidu’s regular motorcyclist, Hussein, however, faulted him by claiming that he contracted them to abduct the boy before he personally killed him on the grounds that he recognised him.

Hussein said while pointing at Seidu, “He is a brother to Alhaji (the deceased boy’s father). He said he wanted to marry a new wife and Alhaji did not want to give him money; so, he asked us to kidnap the boy.

“After Alhaji gave us the ransom, Seidu came and said he was going to kill his nephew, because the boy recognised him and I asked him why, but he never answered me.

“When Seidu collected the ransom, he handed it over to me after he had removed N5,500.

“He wants to marry a new wife after he lost his first wife and divorced the second.

“The boy knew Seidu very well; whenever he was in the boy’s house, AbdulMalik would run to greet him. He gave him biscuit before he took him away on the day of the kidnap.

“He told me that he would kill the boy and he threw his corpse into the river from the bridge.”

When asked where he was when the boy was killed, Hussein claimed that he did not follow Seidu, adding that he was only informed by the boy’s uncle after he had killed him.

Copyright PUNCH.

Advertisement

News

Plateau Govt Confirms 22 Dead, 132 hospitalised In Jos School Building Collapse

Published

on

By

The Plateau State Government has confirmed 22 dead and 132 persons injured in the Jos collapsed school building.

Musa Ashoms, the Commissioner for Information, said six of the injured were in critical condition.

Ashoms said that those injured were receiving treatment in various tertiary health facilities in the state, while the bodies of the deceased had been deposited in the mortuaries.

NAN reports that a two-storey building of Saints Academy, a secondary and primary school located in Busa-Buji community of Jos North Local Area, had collapsed, trapping students, teachers and others.

The incident occurred at about 8:30 am on Friday when the students were writing their third term examination.

Meanwhile, Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has described the incident as a tragic and monumental loss to the state.

Mutfwang stated this in a statement issued by Mr Gyang Bere, his Director of Press and Public Affairs, on Friday in Jos.

The governor, who sympathised with the families of the affected victims, further described the incident as heartbreaking and unfortunate.

“This is tragic, unfortunate, heart-wrenching and a gloomy situation. We appreciate the timely intervention of the search-and-rescue team, as well as members of the public, who rushed to the school premises to assist in evacuating some of the surviving students and staff,” he said.

 

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Renames National Theatre After Wole Soyinka

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has renamed the National Theatre in Lagos after Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka.

JomogNews reports that President Bola Tinubu has renamed the National Arts Theatre in Iganmu, Lagos, after Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka.

This online news platform learnt that Tinubu announced this in a tribute he wrote to celebrate Soyinka in commemoration of his 90th birthday.

The tribute dated “Professor Wole Soyinka at 90: Tribute to a national treasure and global icon,” was personally signed by the President and made available to journalists on Friday.

Tinubu expressed his delight to join admirers around the world in celebrating Soyinka, adding that July 13 would be the climax of the series of local and international activities held in his honour.

Tinubu wrote, “Professor Soyinka, the first African to win the Nobel Literature Prize in 1986, deserves all the accolades as he marks the milestone of 90 years on earth. Having beaten prostate cancer, this milestone is a fitting testament to his ruggedness as a person and the significance of his work.

“It is also fitting we celebrate this national treasure while he is still with us. I am, accordingly, delighted to announce the decision of the Federal Government to rename the National Theatre in Iganmu, Surulere, as the Wole Soyinka Centre for Culture and the Creative Arts.”

Tinubu stated that Nigeria not only celebrates Soyinka’s remarkable literary achievements, but also his unwavering dedication to the values of human dignity and justice.

“When he turned 80, I struggled to find words to encapsulate his achievements because they were simply too vast. Since then, he has added to his corpus with his series of Interventions, which have been published in many volumes.

“Professor Soyinka is a colossus, a true renaissance person blessed with innumerable talents. He is a playwright, actor, poet, human rights and political activist, composer, and singer.

“He is a giant best riding not just the literary world but our nation, Africa, and the world,” he averred.

According to the President, Soyinka is one Nigerian whose influence transcends the Nigerian space and who inspires people around the world, explaining that since his youth, he has been a vocal critic of oppression and injustice wherever it exists, from apartheid in South Africa to racism in the United States.

“Beginning from his 20s, he took personal risks for the sake of our nation. His courage was evident when he attempted to broker peace at the start of the civil war in 1967. Detained for two years for his bravery, he narrated his experience in his prison memoir, ‘The Man Died.’

“Despite deprivation and solitary confinement, his resolve to speak truth to power and fight for the marginalised was further strengthened.

“Our paths crossed during our struggle for the enthronement of democracy in Nigeria following the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election,” Tinubu stated.

 

Continue Reading

News

FG Reaches New Agreement With IOCs On Crude Supply To Dangote, Local Refineries

Published

on

By

JomogNews Nigeria reports that the Federal Government and crude oil producers in Nigeria have committed to working towards a sustainable supply of crude oil to local refineries under a market-determined pricing system.

This Nigeria news platform understands that both parties said the commitment aimed to ensure that while the operators (crude oil producers) do business optimally, the refineries are not starved of feedstock.

Accordingly, the industry regulator, the Nigeria Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission has directed oil refiners in the country to provide monthly price quote on crude supply.

This came as the $20bn Dangote Petroleum Refinery is reportedly ramping up the importation of crude from the United States, Bloomberg reported on Thursday.

In a statement issued in Abuja on Thursday, Nigeria’s upstream regulator stated that oil producers under the umbrella of the Oil Producers Trade Section of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, at a meeting called by NUPRC, agreed to concede to a framework that would be mutually beneficial with the aim of ensuring that local refineries are not strangulated due to off-the-curve prices.

“The focus of the meeting held at the instance of the Commission Chief Executive, Gbenga Komolafe, was on the status review of the Framework for Seamless Operationalisation of Domestic Crude Oil Supply Obligation Template.

“It was part of efforts to effectively implement key sections of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) 2021, especially the issue of pricing and crude supply to the domestic refineries,” the commission stated.

In the statement, Komolafe said President Bola Tinubu is fully committed to providing a level playing ground for producers and refiners to do business in the industry.

He expressed the need for a rule of engagement to ensure that the pricing model from the oil producers does not hinder the domestic refineries.

He directed producers and refiners to provide the NUPRC with cargo price quotes on crude supply and delivery for effective monitoring and regulation of transactions among parties. “We need to have the price quotes monthly,” he directed.

The NUPRC boss pointed out a convergence between the Domestic Crude Oil Supply Obligation and the nation’s energy security, indicating that his team is re-engineering its regulatory processes to address the challenges.

“We allow all our processes to be transparent. While the Federal Government targets the implementation of the regulation, all parties must submit to the rules of engagement as a guide for operation,” Komolafe stated.

He said NUPRC is committed to driving the willing buyer/willing seller provision.

“We have to discuss pricing, especially as parties have committed to respecting their domestic crude oil obligation. As the regulator, we don’t want the upstream sector to be operated sub-optimally through cost under-recovery.

“So, the regulator is very alive to that. In crude pricing we will never allow price strangulation to disincentivise our domestic refining capacity optimisation. The regulator does not support cost under-recovery in the upstream sector, and we will continue to work to ensure that crude supply profiteering as a negative factor that can strangulate our domestic refining capacity optimisation is disallowed,” Komolafe declared.

Dangote raises alarm

Last month, the Vice President of Oil and Gas at Dangote Industries Limited, Devakumar Edwin, had accused International Oil Companies in Nigeria of plans to frustrate the survival of the new Dangote Petroleum Refinery.

Edwin had said the IOCs were deliberately and willfully frustrating the refinery’s efforts to buy local crude by hiking the cost above the market price, thereby forcing the refinery to import crude from countries as far as the United States, with its attendant high costs.

“Recall that the NUPRC recently met with crude oil producers as well as refineries’ owners in Nigeria, in a bid to ensure full adherence to Domestic Crude Oil Supply Obligations as enunciated under section 109(2) of the Petroleum Industry Act. It seems that the IOCs’ objective is to ensure that our petroleum refinery fails. It is either they are deliberately asking for a ridiculous/humongous premium or they simply state that crude is not available.

“At some point, we paid $6 over and above the market price. This has forced us to reduce our output as well as import crude from countries as far as the US, increasing our cost of production. It appears that the objective of the IOCs is to ensure that Nigeria remains a country which exports crude oil and imports refined petroleum products.

“They (IOCs) are keen on exporting the raw materials to their home countries, creating employment and wealth for their countries, adding to their Gross Domestic Product, and dumping the expensive refined products into Nigeria – thus making us to be dependent on imported products. It is the same strategy the multinationals have been adopting in every commodity, making Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa to be facing unemployment and poverty, while they create wealth for themselves at our expense,” Edwin had stated.

But on Thursday NUPRC emphasised the imperative for appropriate pricing to drive willing buyer willing seller referencing guided Fiscal Oil Price published by the commission in line with the provisions of the PIA.

“NUPRC is committed to attracting the needed investments to boost upstream development and optimisation of our hydrocarbon resources just as we want sustainability of domestic energy supply in the midstream and downstream sector.”

Crude importation

Also on Thursday Bloomberg reported that Nigeria’s Dangote mega-refinery was ramping up the importation of crude oil from the United States, stating that the Lagos-based refinery had created a new flow of long-haul crude from the US, as inflows of American feedstock could be about to rise further.

The report stated that the Dangote mega-refinery was lapping up ever more US crude, bringing the barrels thousands of miles across the Atlantic Ocean.

It stated that Dangote bought more than 16 million barrels of West Texas Intermediate crude oil so far this year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

In August and September, the proportion it will take from the US — as opposed to Nigerian barrels — may be set to rise, based on tenders for new supply seen by Bloomberg.

 

Continue Reading

Trending