News
Nigerians Don’t Need Physical Tax ID Card As NIN Becomes Official Tax ID – FIRS
The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) has clarified that individual Nigerians do not need a physical Tax Identification (ID) card, as the National Identification Number (NIN) already serves as the official tax ID.
JomogNews reports that the clarification was made in a sensitisation video released on Monday by Aderonke Atoyebi, Technical Assistant on Broadcast Media to the Executive Chairman of FIRS. She said the message became necessary due to widespread rumours surrounding the implementation of the Nigerian Tax Administration Act (NTAA).
According to FIRS, the NIN issued by the National Identity Management Commission now functions as the Tax Identification Number (TIN) for individuals. For registered businesses, the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) registration number will serve as the official tax ID, eliminating the need for a separate TIN.
Atoyebi explained that the use of tax IDs is not new, noting that it has existed since the Finance Act of 2019 but has now been strengthened under the NTAA.
“The tax ID unifies all identifiers previously issued by FIRS and state Internal Revenue Services into one,” she said. “For individuals, your NIN automatically serves as your tax ID, while for registered companies, the CAC registration number is used.”
She further stressed that no physical card is required.
“You do not need a physical card. Please, enough of the rumours. The tax ID is simply a unique number linked directly to your identity,” Atoyebi added.
She explained that the new system is designed to simplify identification, reduce duplication, close loopholes for tax evasion, and promote fairness. According to her, the reform ensures that those who earn taxable income pay their fair share, while protecting low-income earners who are not liable to tax.
The clarification follows recent directives by commercial banks asking customers to link their bank accounts to either their NIN or tax identification number ahead of the implementation of the new tax laws.
Banks have stated that all bank accounts must be linked to a tax ID before 2026 to comply with legal requirements, adding that customers without a tax ID should link their accounts using their NIN.
In June, President Bola Tinubu signed four major tax reform bills into law. These include the Nigeria Tax Bill, the Nigeria Tax Administration Bill, the Nigeria Revenue Service (Establishment) Bill, and the Joint Revenue Board (Establishment) Bill.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
News
Maureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
Maureen Omorinola Badejo is scheduled to appear before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on February 20, 2026, following charges filed by the Inspector-General of Police over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberstalking, and related offences.
The charges arise from online publications made in November 2021, in which Ms. Badejo allegedly transmitted statements and videos on YouTube and Facebook concerning Apostle Johnson Suleman and his associate Dickson Omodiale Osajie.
According to the charge sheet, the prosecution alleges that:
Ms. Badejo conspired with others to publish defamatory content against Apostle Suleman.
She allegedly portrayed him as a cultist, rapist, assassin, ritualist, and other criminal labels, knowing the claims to be false.
She is accused of sending false messages via computer networks intended to cause annoyance, hatred, intimidation, and injury to reputation.
Additional allegations state that defamatory statements were also made against Mr. Dickson Osajie, claiming involvement in crimes such as rape and ritual killing.
Authorities further allege that the publications caused fear for safety and threatened bodily harm to the complainants.
The offences cited fall under provisions of the Criminal Code Act (Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004) and the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015.
The case follows a formal petition submitted to the Nigeria Police Force by Mr. Osajie, who alleged persistent cyberstalking, harassment, invasion of privacy, threats to life, and dissemination of false information affecting himself, Apostle Suleman, and their families.
Statement from Maureen Badejo
Ms. Badejo maintains her readiness to face the court and present her defense, expressing confidence in the Nigerian judicial system to ensure fairness and justice.
“I will appear in court as required and trust that the truth will prevail through due legal process,” she stated.
However Ms. Badejo is expected to be formally arraigned before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, where the charges will be read and she will enter her plea.
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News2 days agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
