Breaking News
Nnamdi Kanu Given 24 Hours To Prepare For Self-Representation In Court
The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Biafra nation agitator, Nnamdi Kanu, to open his defence on October 24 in the terrorism charges brought against him by the federal government.
Justice James Omotosho ruled that the defence must be opened without fail on Friday, October 24 or Kanu would be deemed to have waived the opportunity provided to him by law.
The judge’s decision followed Kanu’s insistence on defending himself in the trial while requesting a three-month adjournment. At this point, the judge reminded him that an accelerated trial schedule had already been set and still subsisted, meaning a long adjournment could not be granted.
Kanu, however, continued to challenge the jurisdiction of the court to proceed with the trial. The judge reminded him that the issue of jurisdiction had already been resolved against him. Justice Omotosho pleaded with Kanu to see reason and allow proceedings to move forward, but the defendant insisted that they should not.
Kanu stated: “Going forward, I am making an oral application challenging the jurisdiction of the court to try him. On the face of the records before this court, there are four jurisdictional defects in the matter. The Federal Government is in contempt of the Court of Appeal. I have been discharged by the Appeal Court but I remained in detention for 14 more months.
“A contemnor cannot come to the court to seek any remedy because he who goes to equity must appear with clean hands. The Act on which I am being tried has been repealed and therefore I could not be tried on a repealed Act. The prosecution had denied me proper consultation with my lawyers for the almost five years I had been held in custody.
“If not for your mercy, My Lord, to grant us three hours to hold conference in this courtroom, I would have been compelled to enter my defence in a capital offence without proper consultation with my lawyers. The medical report on which this court relied to declare me fit to stand trial was forged. The report was dated 23 September even though the court gave the order on 26, September.”
Kanu further argued that no blood or urine samples had been taken from him to conduct any test, rendering the medical report fabricated. Based on these claims, he asked the court to terminate the matter immediately if possible.
Responding, counsel to the federal government, Adegboyega Awomolo SAN, said that Kanu’s statements were not based on any recognised court procedure and amounted merely to entertaining the court.
In his ruling, Justice Omotosho said all preliminary objections would not be entertained at this stage, and the court order stood: the defendant must put in his defence. The judge noted that most of Kanu’s arguments had been raised before, but he is not foreclosed from addressing them again in his final written submissions.
At this point, one of the Senior Advocates present in court, Dr Onyechi Ikpeazu, requested permission to address the court, not as Kanu’s lawyer, but as a friend of the court. The senior lawyer appealed for an adjournment, even if only until October 24, to allow Kanu to gather his thoughts and begin his defence.
Justice Omotosho responded that it was for Kanu himself to make such an application, as he is now defending himself. “I appeal to the defendant to make use of the opportunity given to him to enter his defence, or waive it if he wishes,” he said.
In response, Kanu said he had not had enough time to prepare his defence, particularly given the capital nature of the trial, and that he also needed time to assemble the witnesses he had listed.
Ultimately, Justice Omotosho ordered that Kanu must open his defence without fail on October 24.
Breaking News
Reps Plenary Turns Chaotic As Motion To Rescind Electoral Act Amendment Sparks Row
The House of Representatives descended into a rowdy session on Tuesday during an emergency plenary called to reconsider the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill, 2025.
The chaos was triggered by a motion to rescind the bill’s earlier passage from December 23, 2025, which had mandated the real-time electronic transmission of election results to the IReV portal.
During plenary, Francis Waive, chairman of the house of representatives committee on rules and business, moved a motion for the house to reverse its decision on the bill which was passed on December 23, 2025.
When Tajudeen Abbas, speaker of the house, put the motion to a voice vote, the “nays” were louder than the “ayes”, but he ruled that the ayes had it.
The ruling triggered protests from lawmakers, who began hollering in objection. Abbas subsequently called for an executive session, but the proposal was also rejected.
Despite the resistance, the speaker moved the house into an executive session.
When the green chamber passed the electoral act in December, it adopted a proposal mandating the real-time transmission of election results to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s result viewing portal (IReV).
Breaking News
El-Rufai Alleges Ribadu Behind Airport Arrest Attempt, Reveals Next Move
Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has accused National Security Adviser, NSA, Nuhu Ribadu of being behind the attempt to arrest him at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Thursday, shortly after he returned from a trip to Cairo, Egypt.
El-Rufai made the allegation while speaking with former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who paid him a solidarity visit at his residence on Thursday night.
According to him, operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, working with the Department of State Services, DSS, and not the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, confronted him at the airport and attempted to take him into custody.
“It turned out that it’s the ICPC that procured DSS to abduct me and hands me over to them. The ICPC has never invited me.
“We just understand that it’s the ICPC not EFCC that’s responsible for what happened today and the ICPC chairman is acting of the direct order of Nuhu Ribadu,” El-Rufai said.
Responding, Atiku expressed sympathy with the former governor and stressed the need for political unity ahead of the next general election.
The ex-Vice President noted that opposition forces must organize themselves to challenge President Bola Tinubu in 2027.
“We must come together and form very viable opposition because Tinubu is determined to turn Nigeria into a one party state,” Atiku said.
Breaking News
Nnamdi Kanu Challenges Life Sentence, Files Appeal Against Terrorism Conviction
Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has officially filed a notice of appeal challenging his conviction and multiple sentences.
Kanu insisted that the trial was riddled with fundamental legal errors and amounted to a miscarriage of justice.
In the notice of appeal dated February 4, 2026, Kanu said he was appealing against his conviction and sentences on seven counts, including terrorism-related offences, for which he received five life sentences and additional prison terms after being found guilty on November 20, 2025.
“I, Nnamdi Kanu, the Appellant, having been convicted and sentenced… do hereby give notice of appeal against my conviction,” the document stated.
Kanu was convicted for offences including “committing an act preparatory to or in furtherance of an act of terrorism,” “making a broadcast… with intent to intimidate the population,” and “being the leader and member of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), a proscribed organisation in Nigeria,” among others.
Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, delivered the judgment on November 20, 2025, sentencing Kanu to five life terms for terrorism-related offences, 20 years’ imprisonment for being the leader of the proscribed IPOB, and five years’ imprisonment with no option of fine for importing a radio transmitter without a licence.
In his grounds of appeal, the IPOB leader accused the trial court of failing to resolve what he described as a “foundational disruption of the original trial process” following the 2017 military operation at his Afara-Ukwu residence.
“The learned trial judge erred in law by failing to resolve the procedural and competence consequences of the foundational disruption of the original trial process in September 2017,” Kanu argued.
He also contended that the court proceeded to trial and judgment while his preliminary objection challenging the competence of the proceedings remained unresolved.
“The learned trial judge did not hear or determine the objection,” the appeal document stated, adding that judgment was delivered “while the objection remained pending and undetermined.”
Kanu further faulted the court for delivering judgment while his bail application was still pending, arguing that this affected the fairness of the trial process.
He also claimed that the trial court convicted him under a law that had already been repealed, stating that “the learned trial judge erred in law by convicting and sentencing the Appellant under the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment) Act, 2013, notwithstanding its repeal by the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022, prior to judgment.”
Kanu further argued that he was subjected to double jeopardy, contrary to Section 36(9) of the 1999 Constitution, after being retried on facts he said had earlier been nullified by the Court of Appeal.
He also complained that he was denied fair hearing, claiming that he was not allowed to file or present a final written address before judgment was delivered.
Among the reliefs sought, Kanu asked the Court of Appeal to allow the appeal, quash his conviction and sentences, and “discharge and acquit the Appellant in respect of all the counts.”
He also informed the appellate court of his desire to be present at the hearing of the appeal, stating, “I want to be present at the hearing of the appeal because I may be conducting the appeal in person.”
Kanu is currently being held at a correctional facility in Sokoto State, after his application to be transferred to a different facility in either Niger or Nasarawa State was denied.


-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News20 minutes agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
