Connect with us

News

FRSC Launches Digital Driver’s License System, Promises An End To Delays

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps has announced the introduction of a contactless biometric capture system for driver’s licence issuance, marking a significant shift toward digitalisation in Nigeria’s motor vehicle administration.

 

The development came as the Corps launches its 2025 Ember Months Road Safety Campaign aimed at reducing road accidents during the busy festive period.

 

The campaign, launched on Monday in Abuja, is themed “Tech Responsibility for Your Safety: Stop Distracted Driving.” It targets dangerous driving behaviors often linked to increased crashes between December 15 and January 15.

 

Speaking during the flag-off, Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed said the new licence system would not only eliminate delays but also remove the need for temporary documents.

 

“We have activated plans to overcome the perennial challenges associated with delays in obtaining the driver’s license and number plates. Our printing facility has been upgraded to print an average of 15,000 driver’s licenses daily.

 

“This production average will be increased to clear the backlog before the second week of November 2025,” the Corps Marshal noted.

 

Mohammed added, “We are also about to commence the contactless biometric capture with on-spot printing of the license, which will eliminate temporary licenses, thereby signaling the beginning of a digitalized one-stop-shop for processing driver’s licenses.

 

“With this development, it is expected that delays and other challenges related to the national driver’s license will be history.”

 

The corps marshal explained that the new system was developed in consultation with relevant stakeholders, including state governments, noting that licensing falls under a concurrent legislative list.

 

“Globally, we have seen how a driver’s licence has been obtained. As soon as you come, you get the driver’s license. What matters is the comprehensive data, the adequate data that will be stored for usage at any given time,” he said.

 

He further explained that the system would fully integrate existing driving schools, Vehicle Inspection Office, and certification processes, but with a faster and streamlined approach.

 

“We are almost through with the process. It is no longer going to be the process of putting hands on the biometric. This one is a contactless biometric. It doesn’t take time, and also, it captures all the essence required,” he said.

 

According to him, the entire process, from application to licence issuance, will become immediate upon capture.

 

“Once you reach the point of capture, you get captured and you get your driver’s licence instantly. There is no longer going to be a temporary driver’s licence. There’s no longer going to be two weeks, one month, six months, one year before you get your driver’s licence,” Mohammed stated.

 

He said the new process is also synchronised with the National Identification Number database, ensuring data consistency and seamless identity verification.

 

He described the new contactless fingerprint system as “seamless,” saying it allows biometric data to be captured without physical contact, using advanced technology that reads fingerprints from a short distance.

 

The FRSC has also enhanced its cooperation with state governments and agencies such as the VIO and state revenue boards to ensure seamless implementation of the new system nationwide.

 

During a press tour of the FRSC’s Driver’s Licence Print Farm on Monday, Deputy Corps Marshal in charge of Motor Vehicle Administration, Aliyu Datsama, confirmed that the contactless system is already operational and will be rolled out across the country, including Lagos.

 

Crucially, Datsama disclosed that the Corps had been dealing with a massive “backlog of 800,000 unprocessed driver’s licences, which has now been reduced to 400,000.”

 

“We are now working 24/7 to clear the remaining backlog.

 

“Our current daily production capacity is 40,000 licences, and by the grace of God, we will clear everything in the next few weeks,” he stated.

 

 

He also urged Nigerians who have already completed capture to check and collect their licences, noting that “over 206,000 licences remain unclaimed across various states.”

 

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending