News
Former Southern Governor Linked To Alleged Coup Plot In Nigeria
A former governor from the southern part of Nigeria is reportedly under investigation for his suspected involvement in the alleged coup plot that led to the arrest of several army officers.
The detained officers were accused of planning to overthrow President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.
According to Daily Trust, security sources disclosed that the former governor is being closely monitored after reports emerged that he might have financed the planned coup, which was allegedly scheduled to take place on October 25.
Sixteen military officers, including a Brigadier-General and a Colonel, are currently in custody for their alleged roles in the scheme.
Some of them were said to be attached to the Office of the National Security Adviser.
Investigations are being handled by the Defence Intelligence Agency, with participation from officers representing the three branches of the Armed Forces.
The probe panel is reportedly led by a Major-General, and the full list of those being investigated is being kept confidential.
It was gathered that the former governor under watch had previously worked in the oil and gas sector before venturing into politics, Daily Trust reports.
Investigators are now reviewing his recent interactions with the detained officers to determine his level of involvement.
If strong evidence links him to the suspects, he may be summoned for interrogation.
Reports also revealed that the Brigadier-General in custody hails from Niger State, while the Colonel being investigated is from Nasarawa State and belongs to a prominent family.
The family, including relatives of former Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, is said to be deeply distressed by the situation.
In another development, Premium Times on Saturday reported that the alleged coup plot included plans to assassinate President Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and House of Representatives Speaker Tajudeen Abbas.
Sources familiar with the development told Premium Times that the officers scheduled October 25 as the date to carry out the operation.
They allegedly intended to execute the plan on a day when all targeted officials would be within the country.
The plan reportedly involved a coordinated strike where the leaders would be attacked at the same time, while top military officers such as service chiefs would be arrested instead of killed.
Investigations from Premium Times show that the suspected coup plotters had informants within the Presidential Villa and close to the movements of the targeted officials.
These insiders allegedly monitored their schedules and provided intelligence to aid the planned operation.
The plot created panic within the government and security agencies, leading to the cancellation of the Independence Day parade on October 1.
Though arrests were made before the date, the presidency reportedly decided against holding the military parade to avoid potential security risks.
Around 20 officers have been arrested and detained over the alleged coup attempt.
More findings from Sahara Reporters revealed that most of the detained officers are from northern Nigeria and are currently being held at the DIA facility without access to their families.
According to Sahara Reporters, among them is Lieutenant Colonel Al-Makura, who recently returned from a special combat course in China before being posted to the NSA office.
The officer is reportedly known for his strict and fearless approach during his time in Maiduguri, Borno State.
According to Sahara Reporters, his brother, also a Lieutenant Colonel and Commanding Officer of the 343 Artillery Regiment in Elele, was briefly detained but later released after investigations cleared him of involvement.
Both men are nephews of Tanko Al-Makura, who now chairs the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).
News
Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.
More details later….
News
Reserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
Nigeria’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves have reached $48.5 billion, their highest level in nearly 13 years.
This milestone, confirmed by data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), surpasses previous multi-year peaks and represents the strongest balance since May 14, 2013, when reserves stood at approximately $48.51 billion.
However, the data showed that the foreign reserves increased steadily by 6.45 percent or $2.94 billion year-to-date, from $45.56 billion reported on January 1 to $48.5 billion.
Further checks showed that the FX reserves figure was $48.36 billion on Monday.
According to the CBN, FX reserves are assets held on reserve by a monetary authority in foreign currencies, which are used to back liabilities and influence monetary policy.
On December 22, 2025, the apex bank projected that the country’s external reserves would rise to $51.04 billion in 2026, saying the increase will be supported by FX reforms.
“Reforms in the foreign exchange market are expected to sustain exchange rate stability, while external reserves are projected to increase to US$51.04 billion,” CBN said.
On February 10, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of CBN, said the bank will do “whatever it takes” to safeguard the value of the naira, while strengthening the country’s external reserves.
Looking ahead to 2030, he said the CBN’s targets include achieving single-digit inflation and growing foreign exchange (FX) reserves driven by non-oil exports, foreign direct investment, and diaspora remittances.
News
Ogun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
The Ogun State Police Command has launched an investigation into sexual assault allegations made by a TikToker known as Mirabel (@mirab351), who is currently receiving treatment in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
The case gained widespread attention after she posted emotional videos on Monday, February 16, detailing an attack she claimed occurred at her home the previous Sunday.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Oluseyi Babaseyi, disclosed the development on Thursday while speaking on The Morning Brief.
Babaseyi confirmed that Mirabel voluntarily visited the Ibafo Police Division on Tuesday, February 17, to lodge a formal complaint and was subsequently admitted to the hospital for medical care due to her unstable condition.
“When the DPO in Ibafo met with her, she was taken to the hospital for medical analysis. She wasn’t as stable as necessary, but we ensured the investigation continued.
“As we speak, she is in the intensive care unit getting appropriate care. Her medical well-being is more important to us at this point. When she is stable, we can now continue investigations and get the necessary facts,” Babaseyi said.
According to Babaseyi, the incident reportedly occurred in Ogijo, a border community between Ogun and Lagos states.
The police have established that Mirabel was not arrested, but rather, she is being treated as a victim.
The command urges individuals with useful information to come forward and assist with the investigation.
“She was not arrested by the police. She reported a case, and we are investigating. Nothing like her arrest happened,” he said.
“If the allegation is established to be true, the perpetrator will be arrested and charged to court appropriately. Otherwise, the law also addresses giving false information,” the police stated.
The police said they will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion and take appropriate action.
“We advise people not to jump to conclusions based on emotions. We are investigating and will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion,” Babaseyi said.
-
News1 day agoDefend Our Sovereignty: Falana, Ibrahim, Bugaje Reject US Military Presence
-
News2 days agoDSS Witness Details How ISWAP Unit Planned And Executed Owo Church Massacre
-
News2 days agoRamadan 2026: Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon, Holy Month Begins Wednesday
-
News1 day agoDangote Projects Naira Appreciation To N1,100/$ In 2026
-
News1 day ago37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React
-
News7 hours agoTragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
-
News3 hours agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
News5 hours agoOgun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
