Connect with us

News

Over 30 Dead, 58 Rescued As Boat Capsizes In Niger State – NEMA

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has said 58 passengers have been rescued and over 30 dead in the recent boat mishap at Gausawa community in Borgu LGA of Niger State.

 

The Director General of (NEMA), Mrs. Zubaida Umar, directed the Agency’s Minna Operations Office on site to intensify the ongoing rescue efforts.

 

According to a statement by NEMA spokesman, Manzo Ezekiel, witnesses at the scene of the incident revealed that about 90 persons were onboard the ill-fated vessel.

 

The boat mishap which occurred on 2nd September is reported to have been caused by overloading.

 

The statement reads in part: “Witnesses at the scene of the incident revealed that about 90 persons were onboard the ill-fated vessel. So far, 58 passengers have been rescued, while over 30 lives have been lost as one aditional body was recovered this afternoon.

 

“Several other passengers remain unaccounted for, with search and rescue efforts still ongoing.

 

“Initial investigations indicate that the mishap was caused by overloading of the vessel, compounded by a collision with a tree stump along the water channel”.

 

The Agency stated that the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) is leading the rescue operation with other stakeholders that includes the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), Hydroelectric Power Producing Areas Development Commission (HYPPADEC), Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS), Local divers and community volunteers.

 

NEMA while assuring the public that further updates will be provided as more details emerge, added that NEMA is coordinating with stakeholders to ensure a sustained and organized response.

 

 

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Tragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed

Published

on

By

The Ondo State Police Command has confirmed the assassination of Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of the Agamọ community.

According to command spokesperson DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the monarch was attacked on Wednesday at approximately 7:10 p.m.

Jimoh said the information was received by the division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu,

He said the information indicated that approximately six armed men stormed the residence of the traditional ruler, forcibly took him from his compound, and subsequently fled the scene.

“The victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds. He was confirmed dead at the scene.

“Upon receipt of the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), alongside tactical teams from the command, promptly mobilised officers in collaboration with local security outfits.

“Atuluse Security, local hunters, and Amotekun operatives also assisted to comb adjoining bushes and surrounding areas in a bid to apprehend the perpetrators. Efforts are ongoing to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects.

“Monitoring and surveillance activities have been intensified across the area to ensure the safety of residents and prevent further breakdown of law and order.

“The public are assured that no stone will be left unturned in bringing those responsible for the heinous act to justice,” he said.

According to him, members of the public with credible and actionable information are urged to report to the nearest police station or contact the command.

Continue Reading

News

37 Miners Killed By Toxic Gas In Plateau; FG Yet To React

Published

on

By

The Federal government has remained silent after reports emerged that carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, left 37 miners dead and 25 hospitalized at a mining site located in the Zurak Wase Local Government of Plateau State.

This was disclosed in a report by a security journalist, Zagazola Makama, on Wednesday.

Sources told Makama that the incident occurred at the Solid Mining Company early on Feb. 18.

The victims are between 20 and 35 years old and were conducting routine mining operations when they inhaled toxic gas that had accumulated in the poorly ventilated tunnels, the report said.

Makama said, “The site is under strict control, and emergency protocols are being followed to manage the situation,” a source told Makama.

Meanwhile, there is no indication that the Nigerian government nor the Plateau State, and security operatives have reacted to the incident or done anything on the matter.

There are no official statements from both quarters confirming or debunking the incident as of filing this report on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Trending